Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Witness ye' this, the end of all you hold precious. Behold: The fall of jiu jitsu.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright, I may get flak for this. I went to a gracie barra for a couple of years. It's been discussed here before.

I think this chart, and gracie barras being numerous, plays a big part in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenebrous View Post
      Alright, I may get flak for this. I went to a gracie barra for a couple of years. It's been discussed here before.

I think this chart, and gracie barras being numerous, plays a big part in it.
      Are Gracie Barra Academies utilizing this promotion scheme or is this a bare minimum? Because Gracie Barra students I've rolled with don't seem to be behind the BJJ curve.

Comment

Originally posted by plasma View Post
        Are Gracie Barra Academies utilizing this promotion scheme or is this a bare minimum? Because Gracie Barra students I've rolled with don't seem to be behind the BJJ curve.
        Both I think. They post this chart on the walls in GBs, but just as it is. There's nothing stating that these are minimums. However, if you search online, you'll find people calling these minimums. I think it sets some expectations about promotion times that are pretty gross, either way. 2x/wk = 5 & 2/3 years. It undoubtedly varies wildly from school to school.

Comment

5-6 years at 2x/week would be tough to get a black belt in Judo, IMO and IME at least... A young, healthy person with no previous grappling experience or skill who only goes 2x a week isn't going to do very well in competition, which is a key to getting promoted more quickly.

Comment

In any case, belts never do help much when someone decides they are going to do their best to put a hurting on you.

But that in no way diminishes my Congratulations to the OP on getting the black belt in BJJ.

Comment

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
              In any case, belts never do help much when someone decides they are going to do their best to put a hurting on you.

But that in no way diminishes my Congratulations to the OP on getting the black belt in BJJ.
              So Street.

Comment

I beg to differ.

Comment

Originally posted by plasma View Post
                  Depends upon the school.

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post
                    I beg to differ.

I stand corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
                      I still suspect the average time to black belt in BJJ is 8-12 years though.
                      I think that's about right. I'm well behind that rate (to be expected as an intermittently dedicated increasingly fat middle aged hobbyist). It's 12 years in August for me, but I just got a 1st stripe on my brown.

Congrats OP.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X