Another Extremist Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mandem View Post
    Part of the reason this is such a big deal is that this is only the second time an MP has ever been murdered.
    Here is a list of US politicians who have been assassinated:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...an_politicians
    Seems like gun laws have kept our lawmakers pretty safe to me.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...e_assassinated

Comment

Part of the reason this is such a big deal is that this is only the second time an MP has ever been murdered.
      Here is a list of US politicians who have been assassinated:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...an_politicians
      Seems like gun laws have kept our lawmakers pretty safe to me.
      How many of those politicians were alone and unarmed like this lady. I'm sure as she was being shot and stabbed to death she would have liked to have tool avalible to defend herself with instead of being slaughtered like a sheep.

Comment

http://www.gun-nuttery.com/rtc.php
        as You can see by the map. concealed carry laws have been greatly expanded in the last 30 years. there is a reason for that. will it save everyone, of course not. but it does give people a fighting chance. just watch the map for a minute, it will change to show how CC has progressed.
        Last edited by rnc357; 6/17/2016 3:52am, .

Comment

Originally posted by rnc357 View Post
          How many of those politicians were alone and unarmed like this lady. I'm sure as she was being shot and stabbed to death she would have liked to have tool avalible to defend herself with instead of being slaughtered like a sheep.
          They are all alone and unarmed (unless they are members of the cabinet in which case they get close protection officers). MP's in the UK have offices in their constituencies where people can call in and discuss issues with them. This is what she was doing in this case.

You have to understand that crime like this is very rare in the UK. If you were to ask MP's if they should be armed then I suspect that the answer would be no.

Comment

Originally posted by scipio View Post
            They are all alone and unarmed (unless they are members of the cabinet in which case they get close protection officers). MP's in the UK have offices in their constituencies where people can call in and discuss issues with them. This is what she was doing in this case.

You have to understand that crime like this is very rare in the UK. If you were to ask MP's if they should be armed then I suspect that the answer would be no.
            thanks for the reply. My knowledge of the U.K. Is limited. Their awnser may be No, until someone is trying to kill them. But like you say it is rare over there.

Comment

That's interesting, seems like the BBC have been exaggerating. Maybe they weren't counting the IRA or something.
              Either way the US list is a lot longer.

Comment

Originally posted by scipio View Post
                i am very interested as to how attitudes change over there in the face of greater polarization of the population and the (IMO probable) increase in attacks by extremists. i would expect police to be the first to demand arms as they are the biggest targets (and they have the easiest route to arming themselves, AFAIK any officer can apply to be armed, it seems that for the moment most do not.)

Comment

Originally posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
                  i am very interested as to how attitudes change over there in the face of greater polarization of the population and the (IMO probable) increase in attacks by extremists. i would expect police to be the first to demand arms as they are the biggest targets (and they have the easiest route to arming themselves, AFAIK any officer can apply to be armed, it seems that for the moment most do not.)
                  Case in point, locations like House Guard's parade/barrack's are now secured with armed MOD police at entrance, whereas when I was a kid they were notably absent.

Honestly I doubt this will change anything. The UK has one of the highest rates of Islamist terror cell activity and has had for the last decade and not much has changed, arming cops would be a poor pr choice for the policing services as it would be tacit acknowledgement that they had lost control and were now relying on overt force.

Comment

Originally posted by Bar Humbug View Post
                    Case in point, locations like House Guard's parade/barrack's are now secured with armed MOD police at entrance, whereas when I was a kid they were notably absent.

Honestly I doubt this will change anything. The UK has one of the highest rates of Islamist terror cell activity and has had for the last decade and not much has changed, arming cops would be a poor pr choice for the policing services as it would be tacit acknowledgement that they had lost control and were now relying on overt force.
                    i suppose we'll see. if islamist terrorists start attacking police the way they did with that soldier who was decapitated, acknowledging the loss of control would be the least of their worries.

seems to me that the UK is a powder keg, between the UKIP and the islamists.

Comment

My knowledge of the U.K. Is limited.
                      They have one of the lowest firearm-related death rates in the world. You are 46 times less likely to die by firearm in the UK than the US if you believe this article. Most of their cops don't even carry guns.

Comment

Concealed carry if legal may have prevented this. Oh I forget she was not a law enforcement officers,security professional, drug dealer or involved in illegal activity. So she had no need to carry.
                        Your words
                        Can you just do a little research before you open your fucking cock holster dude?

Please? Pretty Please?

Concealed carry if legal may have prevented this. Oh I forget she was not a law enforcement officers,security professional, drug dealer or involved in illegal activity. So she had no need to carry.
                        Your words
                        I was describing MY PERSONAL choice and the reasons I FEEL I would need to CC.

Comment

Originally posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
                          I wouldn't call him crazy, more of a butthurt moron.
                          not doof, the half-wit that killed the MP, assuming they are not the same person

Comment

Originally posted by ChenPengFi View Post
                            He did chainsaw katas.
                            I found that to be amusing.

Comment

Your words
                              Your sarcasm/irony detector seems to be broken...

Comment

Either way the US list is a lot longer.
                                Yes because our political systems are different. If we compared the MP system strictly to congress it'd be a different list. The list you provided includes presidents, a sheriff, judges, governors, mayors, a chairman, a former delegate, a city supervisor and a state supreme court justice.
                                The list CPF provided only uses SERVING MPs assassinated.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X