Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think cross training is good for muscle memory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
    That's exactly the problem: they are similar enough that the fine motor details that need to happen unconsciously can contaminate each other. Now that I think of it, a baseball swing might hurt a golf swing worse than the other way around, but when my cousin was trying to pick up golf, he was warned not to work on his golf swing during baseball season.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/...wingbent-over/
    Somewhat similarly, I have read that swinging a weighted bat is bad for your golf swing, as the skill to swing a much heavier version of the same thing is related but different. For this reason, I discourage my students from using weighted shinai or bokuto for practice swings.

As to the original question, I think the more similar the activities the more likely you are to confuse them, but with experience you can overcome it. So I think it's not a great idea to learn two punching arts at once as a beginner, it's fine to pick another one up after you have a decent level of skill with the first.

Comment

Originally posted by NeilG View Post
      As to the original question, I think the more similar the activities the more likely you are to confuse them, but with experience you can overcome it. So I think it's not a great idea to learn two punching arts at once as a beginner, it's fine to pick another one up after you have a decent level of skill with the first.
      I totally agree with your summary.

Comment

Originally posted by NeilG View Post
        Somewhat similarly, I have read that swinging a weighted bat is bad for your golf swing
        Baseball swing. It may be bad for your golf swing too, I don't know: mine can't get much worse.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
        X