Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think cross training is good for muscle memory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DCS View Post
    A martial arts web site focused in fighting BS, IIRC.
    Right and its BS to shove a niche academic argument of a words meaning down the throats of everyone.

Muscle Memory is a popular enough term that it has its own Wiki Page.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_memory
    Muscle Memory is popular enough term to have its own Dictionary page
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...uscle%20memory
    It has its own thesaurus entry
    https://www.powerthesaurus.org/muscle_memory

So if we want to play the game of bullshit and semantics and the what not we can get full on linguists up in here to tell the guy he is plain old wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by gregaquaman View Post
      Depends if you think martial arts is more complicated than every other activity that we somehow manage to multitask.

I think no but i ride a motorcycle and drive a car. So i am probably some sort of savant.
      Learning to hit a baseball and play golf at the same time is a notoriously bad idea. I'm sure there are other examples.

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
        Learning to hit a baseball and play golf at the same time is a notoriously bad idea. I'm sure there are other examples.
        Is it? Do we have some famous examples that give it, its notoriety?

Comment

I think the idea that you can slow your progress has merit, but more often than not it's probably just an excuse used by lazy and unadventurous people.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
            You've never hung around youth baseball players? That's a pretty standard admonition.

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
              You've never hung around youth baseball players? That's a pretty standard admonition.
              Not since my youth, and golfing wasn't a hobby of mine at the time. Hell golfing isn't a hobby of mine now even though I really enjoy it, but it is seriously to expensive.
              I mean it comes down to the same thing for both though keep your eye on the ball and try and keep your swing in a single plane of motion if you can.

Comment

Yes but it is used in the common vernacular, its meaning is very well understood as such.
                Many things are used in the common vernacular, and they are still wrong.

This is a martial arts based web site, the term "muscle memory" is used in martial arts.
                So is "Chi", and it is every bit as real.

So fuck off with your academic view on the word.
                Be sure to return the favor

Was a though expressed and communicated properly to the group? Yes, yes it was we all know what the fuck is meant by muscle memory.
                99% of the time I have heard that, it is used improperly.

So you can fuck off with your more narrowed definitions based on your line of work or study.
                It's not a narrow definition, it's a correct one. There's a difference.
                Last edited by jwinch2; 6/18/2016 5:50pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by ChenPengFi View Post
                  it's broken now ...

That was an awesome gif.

Like a cute kitten pawing at the dust in a moonbeam.

Comment

Originally posted by jwinch2 View Post
                    Depends on the context.

Hahahahaahahaaa!
                    No it is not.
                    Stfu...

99% of the time I have heard that, it is used improperly.

He clarified within the op, you're just digging in for no reason now.

Comment

Nice try fuck twit in this instance you Muscle Memory = Motor Memory.
                      As we all fucking know that Motor Memory is a real fucking thing.
                      Just because the scientific community doesn't recognize a term that is used by laymen doesn't mean the term isn't real.
                      Think of Muscle Memory as jargon.
                      All you are trying to do is sit here and make you look like you are superior cause you use the more scientifically accepted term, all you really are doing is looking like a douche bag.

I am sorry is there another word used for "chi" inside the science community like there is for Muscle Memory?
                      Is chi even used uniformly to discuss one set of real world phenomena?
                      Unlike Chi the effects of "muscle memory" do have a counter part.

No its correct for your field, it does not make it incorrect for use by lay people.
                      Its silly to split hairs over it with lay people.

Comment

No its correct for your field,
                        What field would that be?
                        Did I miss something?

Comment

Not since my youth, and golfing wasn't a hobby of mine at the time. Hell golfing isn't a hobby of mine now even though I really enjoy it, but it is seriously to expensive.
                          I mean it comes down to the same thing for both though keep your eye on the ball and try and keep your swing in a single plane of motion if you can.
                          That's exactly the problem: they are similar enough that the fine motor details that need to happen unconsciously can contaminate each other. Now that I think of it, a baseball swing might hurt a golf swing worse than the other way around, but when my cousin was trying to pick up golf, he was warned not to work on his golf swing during baseball season.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/...wingbent-over/

Comment

Nice try fuck twit in this instance you Muscle Memory = Motor Memory.
                            As we all fucking know that Motor Memory is a real fucking thing.
                            Just because the scientific community doesn't recognize a term that is used by laymen doesn't mean the term isn't real.
                            Think of Muscle Memory as jargon.
                            All you are trying to do is sit here and make you look like you are superior cause you use the more scientifically accepted term, all you really are doing is looking like a douche bag.
                            As for the rest, words have meaning, and we should use the correct ones. The term "muscle memory" is never used in motor learning, except when followed by laughter.

Comment

"Leg" is a great example.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_golf is a bad idea. Perhaps not relevant to this conversation, but it's the first thing I thought of when I thought "baseball+golf." The second thing was Happy Gilmore. That was a good idea.

(edit) The Cutting Edge was a bad idea, though.
                                Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X