Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SPU student tackles and disarms gunman

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    SPU student tackles and disarms gunman

    Surveillance video from 2014 shows how Seattle Pacific University student John Meis tackled, then disarmed Aaron Ybarra, who was reloading his shotgun after killing one student and wounding two other.

    http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...rsity-in-2014/

    Good job.

    #2
    Originally posted by DCS View Post
    Surveillance video from 2014 shows how Seattle Pacific University student John Meis tackled, then disarmed Aaron Ybarra, who was reloading his shotgun after killing one student and wounding two other.

    http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...rsity-in-2014/

    Good job.
    Very well done!

    Comment


      #3
      Not to derail, but there are just so many people that scoff at the idea of an armed civilian stopping a shooting. Putting aside the fact that they most certainly have done so, the same detractors will publicly congratulate the unarmed civilians that stop shooters, and or advocate training the public in how to resist a shooter. Does anyone think it would be more difficult to stop a shooter if you were armed than if you were unarmed? If you do, go talk to the military, and we can save a ton of dough on rifles.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
        Does anyone think it would be more difficult to stop a shooter if you were armed than if you were unarmed?
        Not me, but an active shooter who is using a semi-auto rifle and carries a dozen magazines is a different scenario than a shooter using a double barreled shotgun. The window of opportunity is bigger in the second case.

        Comment


          #5
          bah. his reload game was weak. i'm not as good as this guy, but...

          Comment


            #6
            Was going to post this myself. Kid did a great job but I think he was taking a big risk leaving the killer alone while he hid the gun.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by DCS View Post
              Not me, but an active shooter who is using a semi-auto rifle and carries a dozen magazines is a different scenario than a shooter using a double barreled shotgun. The window of opportunity is bigger in the second case.
              Sure, but people have tackled guys with semi-autos dating back to Colin Ferguson at a minimum. I just can't imagine anybody confronted with a shooter, and thinking, "oh, crap, I have a gun. This really sucks, now I can't tackle that guy."

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by DCS View Post
                Surveillance video from 2014 shows how Seattle Pacific University student John Meis tackled, then disarmed Aaron Ybarra, who was reloading his shotgun after killing one student and wounding two other.

                http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...rsity-in-2014/

                Good job.
                Too bad he didn't have his own firearm...

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Jim Giant View Post
                  Was going to post this myself. Kid did a great job but I think he was taking a big risk leaving the killer alone while he hid the gun.
                  I would have beat the guy over the head and body with it, not run off and tried to hide the weapon...

                  But then I'm one of those violent martial artists.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by BKR View Post
                    I would have beat the guy over the head and body with it, not run off and tried to hide the weapon...

                    But then I'm one of those violent martial artists.
                    Yeah exactly what I'd have done.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
                      Not to derail, but there are just so many people that scoff at the idea of an armed civilian stopping a shooting. Putting aside the fact that they most certainly have done so, the same detractors will publicly congratulate the unarmed civilians that stop shooters, and or advocate training the public in how to resist a shooter. Does anyone think it would be more difficult to stop a shooter if you were armed than if you were unarmed? If you do, go talk to the military, and we can save a ton of dough on rifles.
                      Everyone already knows that being an unarmed ninja is way more effective than having a gun, don't you watch tv??

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Jim Giant View Post
                        Was going to post this myself. Kid did a great job but I think he was taking a big risk leaving the killer alone while he hid the gun.
                        Delta Jackson: Not a big risk at all if you're familiar with the art of Astral Projection Lay-and-Pray.

                        Comment

                        Collapse

                        Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                        Working...
                        X