Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Streetcat View Post
    These are good points.

I also read somewhere that China, being an agrarian society historically, had most martial arts men working
    hard labor all day. And, because there was no TV or other amusement they practiced their fighting skills all night for fun.

If you are lifting all day and training all night I would think you could reach a very high skill level. Certainly more than a modern amateur training for a couple of hours a couple of days a week.

On the other hand, we have made a lot of progress in training methods and nutrition. Also, modern MA is readily available so you can cross train in several arts. This wasn't possible before.

So, it's definitely an interesting topic but hard to answer the question
    As someone who has done hard labor all day, going to work out at night isn't usually a priority...

Comment

Originally posted by notfromvenus View Post
      It's not just karate. Where I live, every BJJ/MMA place advertises children's BJJ/MMA classes. Kids are where a lot of the $$$ is. I think the real question is, with any kids program, martial arts or dance or gymnastics or whatever.... are the kids actually learning the foundation to be good, or are they just playing around in a cute outfit? Unfortunately, at least in my experience, it seems like a lot of TMA places don't give a shit about whether the kids are any good as long as the parents keep paying tuition.
      The parents probably just want "self discipline and good grades", not combat ability.

I should open a place called "Orientalist Daycare" where the kids get to do light calisthenics and practice mathematics while wearing stereotypical asian martial arts uniforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
        The parents probably just want "self discipline and good grades", not combat ability.

I should open a place called "Orientalist Daycare" where the kids get to do light calisthenics and practice mathematics while wearing stereotypical asian martial arts uniforms.
        I prefer Asian Themed Daycare Center but whatever... we can totally share that market segment yo.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
          As someone who has done hard labor all day, going to work out at night isn't usually a priority...
          You're speaking from experience and with authority ...

Amen BKR

Comment

Originally posted by Wounded Ronin View Post

I think that's been done already...

If kids are not disciplined and getting decent grades in school, it's parental failure already.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
              Sounds like an excuse old people make.

Comment

Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
                Sounds like an excuse old people make.
                Old people usually don't do hard physical labor all day for a living. Not in our society anyway.

I was younger when I did that kind of stuff, for sure. It's a lot easier to go and lift or otherwise train when you recovery time is faster.

When I had white collar jobs I would workout, train, etc. When I worked in the planer portion of the lumber mill, and was running a small farm, and had two small children, I got plenty of exercise and not much time. I was in my early/mid 40s then, and it took me a few months to adjust to the skilled labor job. I quit doing judo for almost 2 years...

Comment

Delete double post.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X