Do you think Kung Fu and other TMA ever "worked?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bar Humbug View Post

note: The remaining 0.1% is Omega Supreme and his students. Please don't kill me
    But rumor has it they don't wear pants.

Comment

Originally posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
      Kung Fu Does Work

Hahahahahaa...

I haven't though of that in a while.
      Damn false assumers.

Comment

Yes, Kung Fu works.

Some tough men in most every style.

What I observed is that a lot of them would have been dangerous before they trained MA.
        Considerable strength and an attitude.

When I was a kid we used to argue endlessly about whether a boxer could beat a wrestler.

Comment

Originally posted by Streetcat View Post
          When I was a kid we used to argue endlessly about whether a boxer could beat a wrestler.
          Could yes, likely no. Sort of the point really.

Comment

No.

Penis.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
              Could yes, likely no. Sort of the point really.
              Exactly,

If you get tagged by a Tyson you're going down and if you get malled by a Mir you're going to be turned into a pretzel.

The rest of us mortals are wherever our skill and training will take us. Kung Fu has some standouts as do all other forms of MA.
              I do like the mixed martial arts and appreciate the extreme conditioning these guys have even though I don't currently train in it but I am going to look into it.

Comment

Exactly,

If you get tagged by a Tyson you're going down and if you get malled by a Mir you're going to be turned into a pretzel.

The rest of us mortals are wherever our skill and training will take us. Kung Fu has some standouts as do all other forms of MA.
                I do like the mixed martial arts and appreciate the extreme conditioning these guys have even though I don't currently train in it but I am going to look into it.
                I do agree with your point, however I could make a pretty funny joke about how Tyson got his hand broke by punching a Kung fu guy.

Comment

I think chin na is and was effective for restraining and injuring people.

Comment

My two cents:

Live sparring is cool but, in particular for striking, it is very dangerous in a society where medical knowledge is low (compared to today standards), in particular if protective gear like gloves are rare or expensive.
                    In this situation, a lot of old ideas like classifying the side of the knee as a "deadly ressure point" make sense, becouse if you let your students in your dojo lowkick each other all the day you could easily cripple them for life, hence this kind of strike becomes a "forbidden deadly strike".

So for this reason I think that in most of the world for most of the time striking martial arts sucked, and looked like what now we call "TMA".

I think that grappling martial arts were less dangerous, so I assume that said arts were more similar to modern world grappling (although it seems that "submission" grappling was less common than "throw your opponent on the ground" grappling, I don't know why).

EDIT

And also, importantly, the modern concept of sports was born together with mass education, and also most marial arts that are known today trace their roots in mass public education (judo, modern boxe, karate, werstling), so perhaps the idea of "sparring", meaning fighting but under a set of rules that preserves the health of the fighters, is also a consequence of mass education.
                    But without this concept of sparring it becomes impossible to train seriously.
                    Last edited by MisterMR; 6/15/2016 9:23am, .

Comment

The man in the black gi at 13:10 of the video. His primary striking background is Goju. I've fought him before. It sucked. The only thing that may suck worse at these tournaments is fighting his opponent in the video, Jun. One of my schoolmates did a few years ago...ouch.

Comment

Exactly,

Sorry, hit the wrong key "mauled"

None of us were there to see if any of these arts were historically effective.
                        I think you just have to see what they are like now.

It's sad that the karate dojos were turned into kindergartens. The old guys like Trias, Lewis, Urban and the like were guys with real skill.
                        I do see the argument of using the arts for discipline and instilling a degree of confidence but, ... Gee Wiz.

Comment

Originally posted by RWaggs View Post
                          The man in the black gi at 13:10 of the video. His primary striking background is Goju. I've fought him before. It sucked. The only thing that may suck worse at these tournaments is fighting his opponent in the video, Jun. One of my schoolmates did a few years ago...ouch.

Why the fuck would you fight this guy on the outside. I've fought these tall guys before, I never give them the distance advantage.

*edit, I did not know there was another match. What the second guy did is how you fight tall guys.

Comment

My 2 personal 2 cents................

Dont ask what the Street can do for you

Instead of

Ask what you can do for the STREET

Comment

It's sad that the karate dojos were turned into kindergartens. The old guys like Trias, Lewis, Urban and the like were guys with real skill.
                              I do see the argument of using the arts for discipline and instilling a degree of confidence but, ... Gee Wiz.
                              It's not just karate. Where I live, every BJJ/MMA place advertises children's BJJ/MMA classes. Kids are where a lot of the $$$ is. I think the real question is, with any kids program, martial arts or dance or gymnastics or whatever.... are the kids actually learning the foundation to be good, or are they just playing around in a cute outfit? Unfortunately, at least in my experience, it seems like a lot of TMA places don't give a shit about whether the kids are any good as long as the parents keep paying tuition.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterMR View Post
                                My two cents:

Live sparring is cool but, in particular for striking, it is very dangerous in a society where medical knowledge is low (compared to today standards), in particular if protective gear like gloves are rare or expensive.
                                In this situation, a lot of old ideas like classifying the side of the knee as a "deadly ressure point" make sense, becouse if you let your students in your dojo lowkick each other all the day you could easily cripple them for life, hence this kind of strike becomes a "forbidden deadly strike".

So for this reason I think that in most of the world for most of the time striking martial arts sucked, and looked like what now we call "TMA".

I think that grappling martial arts were less dangerous, so I assume that said arts were more similar to modern world grappling (although it seems that "submission" grappling was less common than "throw your opponent on the ground" grappling, I don't know why).

EDIT

And also, importantly, the modern concept of sports was born together with mass education, and also most marial arts that are known today trace their roots in mass public education (judo, modern boxe, karate, werstling), so perhaps the idea of "sparring", meaning fighting but under a set of rules that preserves the health of the fighters, is also a consequence of mass education.
                                But without this concept of sparring it becomes impossible to train seriously.
                                These are good points.

I also read somewhere that China, being an agrarian society historically, had most martial arts men working
                                hard labor all day. And, because there was no TV or other amusement they practiced their fighting skills all night for fun.

If you are lifting all day and training all night I would think you could reach a very high skill level. Certainly more than a modern amateur training for a couple of hours a couple of days a week.

On the other hand, we have made a lot of progress in training methods and nutrition. Also, modern MA is readily available so you can cross train in several arts. This wasn't possible before.

So, it's definitely an interesting topic but hard to answer the question

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X