Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Entering tournament last minute, 3 weeks to prepair any tip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jim Giant View Post
    You can hit pretty much anywhere but only hits above the eyeline score and your off hand has to stay on your hip or behind your back.

It's quite different to what I normally do where the whole body is a target and you're allowed to grapple.

http://backswording.webplus.net/page13.html
    No sword trapping = bogus.

Comment

Sounds like the kind of affair where you'll likely face opponents using a long hanging guard. Prepare for that.

Comment

The swords I'm using here are nylon and weight about 2lbs. Normally I spar with steel but the nylons are closer to the weight and feel of the swords being used on the day. The swords used in the competition are 40 inches in total and made of hazel.

The rules are more complicated than the last tournament I entered, gaming will be difficult but not impossible.
        OK, sorry about that, I remember now the "hazel wand" thing. So it's basically a game of tag then, but with stick, and you get hit in the face.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
          Sounds like the kind of affair where you'll likely face opponents using a long hanging guard. Prepare for that.
          Yeah hanging and outside (since I'm left handed) are going to be the most effective guards. I've got a few techniques for dealing with hanging but they're far from guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
            OK, sorry about that, I remember now the "hazel wand" thing. So it's basically a game of tag then, but with stick, and you get hit in the face.
            Pretty much sums it up. Still more realistic than sport fencing though.

Comment

Pretty much sums it up. Still more realistic than sport fencing though.
              For sure, and I'm not being critical of what you do at all, to be clear. Most forms of armed and unarmed combat degenerated into some sort of sport once firearms came along, to one degree or another.

Antagonistic vs agonistic and all that...yeah, I've read that...

Comment

Some training footage from yesterday. Got 9 days left till the tournament.

That's a cool video !

What weight sword would you use. Something like a claymore or lighter like a basket hilt ?

Not a swordsman ... Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Streetcat View Post
                  That's a cool video !

What weight sword would you use. Something like a claymore or lighter like a basket hilt ?

Not a swordsman ... Just curious.
                  As far as I remember they'll be about the same weight as the nylon swords I was using in the video. About 2lbs.

Comment

My forearm is about 70% bruise right now from training last week so yesterday I training with a vambrace (forearm protection). Got one more training session before the big day.

Here's some footage from Thursday:

I sparred 8 times in a row and could barely keep my arm up by the end of it. Hopefully my cardio isn't going to let me down on the big day.

Comment

Looking back there were ways I could have done better but considering the people I went up against I'm pretty happy with the results. I only people I lost against were the reigning UK champion and the man who took second place but I did manage to score against both of them.

I'll write a full breakdown in the throw down section competition footage has uploaded.

Took a fair bit of damage. Swollen elbow, hit in the dick but my back seems to have taken the most abuse.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Congrats, there nothing like being happy with your performance, contentment is underrated.

I can't wait to see the matches.

Comment

Congrats, looks like a battle ...

I'll check out your uploads !

Comment

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=125676

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X