Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confessions of a hobbyist black belt

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Confessions of a hobbyist black belt

    http://www.caneprevost.com/confessio...st-black-belt/

    This is a very good read for anyone in BJJ or Judo.
    I think are friend Bill here will agree with it 100%
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

    #2
    I always find it funny when I see a young 20-something BJJ competitor mention in a video or seminar that they still live at home with their parents. I much rather been successful in life with a degree, well-paying job and a family than spend 30+ hours a week on the mat to win a Blue or Purple Belt Mundials.

    I been a hobbyist Martial Artist for 15 years and this article is awesome.

    Comment


      #3
      As a 34 year old judoka with a 1 year old daughter that pretty much sums up my life.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by goodlun View Post
        http://www.caneprevost.com/confessio...st-black-belt/

        This is a very good read for anyone in BJJ or Judo.
        I think are friend Bill here will agree with it 100%
        I fed myself through fighting and Jiu-Jitsu until my late 20's when I started showing signs of leukemia.
        That was a major reality check.
        I used my time going through chemotherapy to go back to school.
        Because I had no intentions of letting being sick or crippled keep me from being able to feed my family or make a positive contribution to society.
        One door closes, another opens so long as we can breathe, think, and communicate.
        Now I am definitely a recreational player.
        We all get old.
        I prefer to think of Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, Wrestling and boxing as Combat Sports with self defense applications,
        Because people get awfully unrealistic, cultish, and silly with their behavior and expectations when they start thinking in terms of "martial arts".
        And the people who think of themselves as martial artists tend to be the most ridiculous of the lot.
        I like to grapple.
        I have spent 30 plus years studying grappling.
        But my preferred course of study is not necessarily more worthy than any other activity in which to participate or study.
        In many ways, I think it is just as important for young people to learn how to dance well as it is to learn how to fight well.
        Both activities can turn a shy, average person into a confident person that other people respect and admire.
        The difference is dancing is beautiful, and I would rather dance with a pretty girl than roll with a sweaty guy.
        The only problem is, it is easier for a middle aged, married man, who walks with a cane to get a sweaty guy to grapple with him than to get a pretty girl, even his wife, to dance with him.
        But I'll always take every chance I get to get in some wrestling training with a skilled grappler or to dance with a pretty girl.
        Last edited by Dr. Gonzo; 6/02/2016 6:30am, .

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by plasma View Post
          I always find it funny when I see a young 20-something BJJ competitor mention in a video or seminar that they still live at home with their parents. I much rather been successful in life with a degree, well-paying job and a family than spend 30+ hours a week on the mat to win a Blue or Purple Belt Mundials.

          I been a hobbyist Martial Artist for 15 years and this article is awesome.
          I agree with you, but overseas it is often the norm to live with your parents until you are married and/or well into your 30's.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by goodlun View Post
            http://www.caneprevost.com/confessio...st-black-belt/

            This is a very good read for anyone in BJJ or Judo.
            I think are friend Bill here will agree with it 100%
            I’ve been a black belt for several years now and there are so many things I don’t understand. I still can’t manage a collar choke from guard bottom. I can’t do an effective hip bump sweep in a live roll. I have no idea how to execute a berimbolo sweep. Honestly, I’m still perplexed by guard passing.
            He should give his black belt back.
            The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
              He should give his black belt back.
              I disagree. That would be dishonorable behavior towards his professor.
              Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                He should give his black belt back.
                When I first read that part I sort of felt the same way but in the PS he says this, and it makes a lot of sense to me.

                When I say that I can’t do a collar choke from guard bottom it doesn’t mean that I don’t know how. I have taught the technique many times and know the technical details of how it works. It’s just not something that I include in my game because it has never clicked for me. People think that black belts are good at every technique that they know or every technique that they show others. This is simply not true. We have to know a bunch of techniques in order to be good coaches. It just isn’t possible to have all of them in our games. It just doesn’t work that way. Instead we learn a bunch of techniques so that we can pass them on to our students but in our personal games we choose a small subset. For me personally I keep the subset small and try my best to make things work in as many different situations as possible. A smaller personal game is easier to maintain and refine with limited time on the mat. I can teach you a flower sweep well even though I hardly use it at all.
                Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
                –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                  When I first read that part I sort of felt the same way but in the PS he says this, and it makes a lot of sense to me.
                  Fair enough ..... I quit reading after that. I suppose I should read the whole thing.
                  The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                    When I first read that part I sort of felt the same way but in the PS he says this, and it makes a lot of sense to me.
                    All the guy is doing is admitting he is not Superman.
                    If only all black belts were that honest with themselves,
                    Let alone that honest with their students and the rest of the world.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                      He should give his black belt back.
                      And commit seppuku... with a frisbee.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by submessenger View Post
                        I disagree. That would be dishonorable behavior towards his professor.
                        Additionally, he's a black belt under Matt Thornton. Not sure at this point if his black belt is from Matt directly, or further down the line. But, that name carries a modicum of weight on this site. I'm not saying it can't be looked at critically, but in the realm of "legit," I would say Straight Blast Gym has to rank pretty damned high.
                        Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
                          I fed myself through fighting and Jiu-Jitsu until my late 20's when I started showing signs of leukemia.
                          That was a major reality check.
                          I used my time going through chemotherapy to go back to school.
                          Because I had no intentions of letting being sick or crippled keep me from being able to feed my family or make a positive contribution to society.
                          One door closes, another opens so long as we can breathe, think, and communicate.
                          Now I am definitely a recreational player.
                          We all get old.
                          I prefer to think of Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, Wrestling and boxing as Combat Sports with self defense applications,
                          Because people get awfully unrealistic, cultish, and silly with their behavior and expectations when they start thinking in terms of "martial arts".
                          And the people who think of themselves as martial artists tend to be the most ridiculous of the lot.
                          I like to grapple.
                          I have spent 30 plus years studying grappling.
                          But my preferred course of study is not necessarily more worthy than any other activity in which to participate or study.
                          In many ways, I think it is just as important for young people to learn how to dance well as it is to learn how to fight well.
                          Both activities can turn a shy, average person into a confident person that other people respect and admire.
                          The difference is dancing is beautiful, and I would rather dance with a pretty girl than roll with a sweaty guy.
                          The only problem is, it is easier for a middle aged, married man, who walks with a cane to get a sweaty guy to grapple with him than to get a pretty girl, even his wife, to dance with him.
                          But I'll always take every chance I get to get in some wrestling training with a skilled grappler or to dance with a pretty girl.
                          What about dancing with a sweaty guy? or grappling with a pretty girl?
                          King without a crown

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by submessenger View Post
                            I disagree. That would be dishonorable behavior towards his professor.
                            Yeah....but...
                            Not being able to complete bump sweeps and collar chokes doesn't honor his Prof. either,right?

                            I would be curious of what Murphy thought about that.
                            All the Balance black belts I have rolled with are fucking terrors on the mat. There's chiropractors, plumbers,electric engineers that hang with pro fighters. Maybe the writer is just super modest? If not, than I don't know man? I just don't think I could give someone a black belt (not that I can) that can't perform those moves against a resisting opponent. If you can't do it against resistance than you don't know how to do it in my opinion. It's all theory until then.
                            The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by PDA View Post
                              What about dancing with a sweaty guy? or grappling with a pretty girl?
                              If you compliment his bow tie he will save a spot on his dance card for you.
                              The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X