Confessions of a hobbyist black belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
    He makes it look so easy. I'm going to review this video, many times, I think.
    Because the other guy is being compliant or is horrible at jiu-jitsu . Things are much easier that way.
    The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
      Because the other guy is being compliant or is horrible at jiu-jitsu . Things are much easier that way.
      Not exactly fair - of course uke is compliant, it's a technique demonstration, not live application, or even sparring.
      Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Not exactly fair - of course uke is compliant, it's a technique demonstration, not live application, or even sparring.
        Agreed. It's a series designed to make him look good. Generally it's easier to look good that way. these techniques have rather large holes. If you want I will break the videos in detail.

If you want near flawless video instruction I recommend Saulo bjj library or his dvds. I am a huge fan.
        The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Comment

Agreed. It's a series designed to make him look good. Generally it's easier to look good that way. these techniques have rather large holes. If you want I will break the videos in detail.

If you want near flawless video instruction I recommend Saulo bjj library or his dvds. I am a huge fan.
          I really like the MG stuff, so I haven't really ventured outside of that for pure technique vids. I should get "the book," though (JJ Uni), one of these days. Maybe somebody will hook me up for bday or father's day.

(edit) Also, good point, and I'm sure we could all benefit from a breakdown of what's shown in that, or any other video.
          Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

I really like the MG stuff, so I haven't really ventured outside of that for pure technique vids. I should get "the book," though (JJ Uni), one of these days. Maybe somebody will hook me up for bday or father's day.

(edit) Also, good point, and I'm sure we could all benefit from a breakdown of what's shown in that, or any other video.
            I was a Marcelo customer. I discontinued my membership because I wasn't using it, but it's a solid service.

Comment

It would be neat if he covered how to not get choked/knocked the fuck out from mount in that first position,When your neck and head are exposed and your hands are elsewhere. 1 star would not recommend.
              Reminds me of how everytime I roll with a different guy at BJJ practice,I find new and exciting ways to get leg/ankle/foot/toe locked. Let alone getting punched in the face.
              Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Position 1- the mounted attacker has his hands on the floor instead of sinking a collar choke or bashing his face. That's not good jiu jitsu. If the mounted attacker was being heavy on top. Weight down in his ass he couldn't be easily picked up lIke that and during that escape attempt a collar choke or KO punches should be the result.

Position 2: the passer isn't passing with his head over his own hips dropping all his weight into the pinned leg, the passer should secure a farside underhook with his left hand and make a baseball slide down the opponents hips. The only way this move would be good is if the passer doesn't secure an underhook or a lapel in gi. If the passer doesn't have 1 of those things he shouldn't be attempting to pass, he needs to be securing one of those things from a low combat base stance that this "knee of doom" would be useless in unbalancing someone from. This is teaching you how to beat shit jiu jitsu.

3. The passer isn't continuing to run towards his Roys head. If he did he could pass and all that pushing shit could get Roy caught.

It's just not solid jiu jitsu.
                Last edited by Raycetpfl; 6/07/2016 1:11pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                  Reminds me of how everytime I roll with a different guy at BJJ practice,I find new and exciting ways to get leg/ankle/foot/toe locked. Let alone getting punched in the face.
                  I would take care of you Ben. No foot locks on white belts like you at my school. ;-)

Comment

Position 1- the mounted attacker has his hands on the floor instead of sinking a collar choke or bashing his face. That's not good jiu jitsu. If the mounted attacker was being heavy on top. Weight down in his ass he couldn't be easily picked up lIke that and during that escape attempt a collar choke or KO punches should be the result.

Position 2: the passer isn't passing with his head over his own hips dropping all his weight into the pinned leg, the passer should secure a farside underhook with his left hand and make a baseball slide down the opponents hips. The only way this move would be good is if the passer doesn't secure an underhook or a lapel in gi. If the passer doesn't have 1 of those things he shouldn't be attempting to pass, he needs to be securing one of those things from a low combat base stance that this "knee of doom" would be useless in unbalancing someone from. This is teaching you how to beat shit jiu jitsu.

3. The passer isn't continuing to run towards his Roys head. If he did he could pass and all that pushing shit could get Roy caught.

It's just not solid jiu jitsu.
                    These all sound like valid critiques of the guy on top. What are the problems with Roy's moves? The missed landing thing (pushing uke's ass when he is passing) seems sketchy to me, though I can't explain why. It was a sloppy pass, at least. I thought "elbow circle," and "leg in air to block pass," were nifty - gimmicky, perhaps, but viable.

Comment

These all sound like valid critiques of the guy on top. What are the problems with Roy's moves? The missed landing thing (pushing uke's ass when he is passing) seems sketchy to me, though I can't explain why. It was a sloppy pass, at least. I thought "elbow circle," and "leg in air to block pass," were nifty - gimmicky, perhaps, but viable.
                      The first move will get you caught.
                      These moves are solving problems that shouldn't exist.

These moves work on shitty players that are doing the wrong thing. It's akin to a Tae Kwon Do guy showing how to stop a double leg from a Tae Kwon Do guy that doesn't know how to wrestle. These moves don't stop the passes if they are done right.

The pressure isn't being put on right. I could just stand up and walk away if these guys tried to pass me like. They have no control and aren't trying to secure it properly.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                        So no forearms to the throat but ankle locks and shit.... you are not going to be a casca grossa with that policy.

Comment

I would take care of you Ben. No foot locks on white belts like you at my school. ;-)
                          I don't care, nobody was cranking on me hard. Was very sweaty as it was 90+ degrees here yesterday. In fact, until he got a good enough grip (between it being hot as hell and me squirming around), it was a nice foot stretch. Then he twisted it and I got the idea that it could hurt.

Same guy did a nice neck stretch for me as well, pulling my head down in a triangle that he didn't really have set very well.

I make so many mistakes it's actually quite amusing. Stuff judo guys won't even notice the JJ guys are all over like white on rice. It's a great way to learn, though.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

The first move will get you caught.
                            These moves are solving problems that shouldn't exist.

These moves work on shitty players that are doing the wrong thing. It's akin to a Tae Kwon Do guy showing how to stop a double leg from a Tae Kwon Do guy that doesn't know how to wrestle. These moves don't stop the passes if they are done right.

The pressure isn't being put on right. I could just stand up and walk away if these guys tried to pass me like. They have no control and aren't trying to secure it properly.
                            Maybe that was the point, older noobs rolling with older noobs ?

However, as I tell my students, I'm training you to beat good players, the crappy ones you won't have any problem with handling.

Comment

Originally posted by DCS View Post
                              So no forearms to the throat but ankle locks and shit.... you are not going to be a casca grossa with that policy.
                              Only the purple belts and one brown belt and of course the instructor go for foot locks etc.

I have a suspicion my days of being casca grossa are a bit behind me...once upon a time, LOL!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X