Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
    Hijacked your thread.

Welcome to the site.
    Not a problem at all. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• jwinch2
    replied
    I have looked extensively at his site and his writings. He teaches individuals and small groups. I'll contact him and inquire about a meeting with my daughters.

Really appreciate you looking into this. If we do start training with him I'll start a separate thread.

Again, thank you.

Happy to help. I have posted some of Tuhon Waid's stuff in the Kempo, Kajukenpo, and Kali forum in the past.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107

Leave a comment:

• hungryjoe
    replied
    Originally posted by jwinch2 View Post
    I followed up on him, and it seems that he is indeed an instructor under Tuhon Waid in Pekiti Tirsia. If he has a dedicated class for that, you may wish to check it out.
    I have looked extensively at his site and his writings. He teaches individuals and small groups. I'll contact him and inquire about a meeting with my daughters.

Really appreciate you looking into this. If we do start training with him I'll start a separate thread.

Again, thank you.

Leave a comment:

• jwinch2
    replied
    http://www.ptk-smf.com/ptk-smf-instructors.html

Mr. Brown lists being an instructor under Tuhon Waid, but is not listed on the Pekiti Tirsia Global Page. My understanding is that the list is not updated often, so if he achieved instructor status recently, it might not have made it to the website yet. If he is, that would be a solid place to train for sure. The guy I train under is an instructor in that organization. I will ask him if he has heard of Mr. Brown.

I would say that if you train in a PTKGO group, you will definitely spend the first 25-30 minutes on footwork and striking mechanics.
    I followed up on him, and it seems that he is indeed an instructor under Tuhon Waid in Pekiti Tirsia. If he has a dedicated class for that, you may wish to check it out.

Leave a comment:

• jwinch2
    replied
    Martial arts have always been a hobby. At 56, I have, to one extent or another, wrestled, boxed and practiced a wide range of martial arts from kick boxing, tkd/hkd, karate, aikido, judo and others. I love judo but don't heal as fast as in earlier years. The dojo has closed and I haven't practiced in around four years. By far the longest stretch inactive.

Standup game is fairly solid. Grappling is only so-so.

I've always liked sticks and knives. I have many of both.

I don't like going to class and spending the first 1/2 doing cardio or strength training. Yes, it's important but I'm paying for martial arts training. I do like remaining agile and hope to retain muscle memory.

I like live training. I don't mind suiting up and getting the shit beat out of me (figuratively) as long as I can go to work the next day. I don't like attitudes or arrogance, bullshit and hero worship.

There are more than these below, but, of those found to date, don't have what I'm looking for or meet the I don't like criteria above. Possibles, both of which I have not contacted, below:

http://www.stephenwbrowne.com/martia...-martial-arts/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hybri...82359141813930

Any help is appreciated.
    http://www.ptk-smf.com/ptk-smf-instructors.html

Mr. Brown lists being an instructor under Tuhon Waid, but is not listed on the Pekiti Tirsia Global Page. My understanding is that the list is not updated often, so if he achieved instructor status recently, it might not have made it to the website yet. If he is, that would be a solid place to train for sure. The guy I train under is an instructor in that organization. I will ask him if he has heard of Mr. Brown.

I would say that if you train in a PTKGO group, you will definitely spend the first 25-30 minutes on footwork and striking mechanics.

Leave a comment:

• hungryjoe
    replied
    Originally posted by CrippledPheonix View Post
    The class was really just stick routines and they hardly do any unarmed combat. oh well.
    Hijacked your thread.

Welcome to the site.

Leave a comment:

• hungryjoe
    replied
    It can be. It really depends on what you are looking for.

Now that FMA has started to become more well known, there are "masters" showing up right and left claiming to teach some obscure family system or, who simply studied a couple of other systems and then went off to do their own thing. I know of guys who got to apprentice instructor in one system and then left to do their own thing with that being the only thing they ever studied. FMA is also ripe with people stealing things from other systems and not giving them credit.

There is also the "me too" mentality in that people who run systems don't like to admit that they don't have something, so when they see someone else teaching something, they then try to incorporate that into theirs so that they can claim they have a "complete" system. The reality is that many of the older systems were really quite simple and focused on one or two weapon types at most with some empty hand thrown in. And of course, there really are a bunch of obscure family systems, hundreds and hundreds of them in fact, and people really have studied a few things and then combined them into something worthwhile.

All of this, as you correctly noted, can make the good stuff hard to find. But, there really is good stuff out there, and if you are interested, it is worth looking for.

I'm sure we would be happy to help if you can give a bit of info on what you are after.
    Martial arts have always been a hobby. At 56, I have, to one extent or another, wrestled, boxed and practiced a wide range of martial arts from kick boxing, tkd/hkd, karate, aikido, judo and others. I love judo but don't heal as fast as in earlier years. The dojo has closed and I haven't practiced in around four years. By far the longest stretch inactive.

Standup game is fairly solid. Grappling is only so-so.

I've always liked sticks and knives. I have many of both.

I don't like going to class and spending the first 1/2 doing cardio or strength training. Yes, it's important but I'm paying for martial arts training. I do like remaining agile and hope to retain muscle memory.

I like live training. I don't mind suiting up and getting the shit beat out of me (figuratively) as long as I can go to work the next day. I don't like attitudes or arrogance, bullshit and hero worship.

There are more than these below, but, of those found to date, don't have what I'm looking for or meet the I don't like criteria above. Possibles, both of which I have not contacted, below:

http://www.stephenwbrowne.com/martia...-martial-arts/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hybri...82359141813930

Any help is appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• CrippledPheonix
    replied
    I'm located in Calgary. The school's instructor seemed good but I asked him about empty hand and he said it's only about 20% empty hand. I also asked about full contact sparring and he said they only do that with the stick fighting, not empty hand. So, while it seemed ok, it wasn't what I am looking for.

Leave a comment:

• jwinch2
    replied
    I would also add for the OP that I have yet to see an FMA system that would not blend very nicely with Thai Boxing, or even Western Boxing for that matter, so if you have that option your area and are also interest in weapons training, that might work for you.

Leave a comment:

• jwinch2
    replied
    Damn. Little phone keypad. That was supposed to be an up vote Ray.

I was in PI when the islands all but shut down, including crime, when Manny fought.

On topic, I've been thinking of FMA. Seems the good stuff is hard to find.
    It can be. It really depends on what you are looking for.

Now that FMA has started to become more well known, there are "masters" showing up right and left claiming to teach some obscure family system or, who simply studied a couple of other systems and then went off to do their own thing. I know of guys who got to apprentice instructor in one system and then left to do their own thing with that being the only thing they ever studied. FMA is also ripe with people stealing things from other systems and not giving them credit.

There is also the "me too" mentality in that people who run systems don't like to admit that they don't have something, so when they see someone else teaching something, they then try to incorporate that into theirs so that they can claim they have a "complete" system. The reality is that many of the older systems were really quite simple and focused on one or two weapon types at most with some empty hand thrown in. And of course, there really are a bunch of obscure family systems, hundreds and hundreds of them in fact, and people really have studied a few things and then combined them into something worthwhile.

All of this, as you correctly noted, can make the good stuff hard to find. But, there really is good stuff out there, and if you are interested, it is worth looking for.

I'm sure we would be happy to help if you can give a bit of info on what you are after.
    Last edited by jwinch2; 6/04/2016 7:31am, .

Leave a comment:

• hungryjoe
    replied
    Damn. Little phone keypad. That was supposed to be an up vote Ray.

I was in PI when the islands all but shut down, including crime, when Manny fought.

On topic, I've been thinking of FMA. Seems the good stuff is hard to find.
    Last edited by hungryjoe; 6/03/2016 10:06pm, .

Leave a comment:

• jspeedy
    replied
    Did you ask about the empty hand? You can get a wide variety of responses from FMA guys. Some will say "we have that too" and show you drills some will show you mitt work and something more and some may offer to spar with you, others will admit that they're more weapons focused. Most FMA is based around weapons at basic level and empty hand at advanced if at all. If empty hand is what you want look to an empty hand based system if you want weapons+empty hand just ask and evaluate the response.

Leave a comment:

• jwinch2
    replied
    Originally posted by CrippledPheonix View Post
    I think they call the style they use Punite FMA from what I saw on their page.
    Odd. There are a couple of different histories they are presenting. One claims the founder started the system in 1990's after studying Kombaton and another style I did not recognize. Another history claims it is something passed on from their ancestors.

Where are you located?

Leave a comment:

• CrippledPheonix
    replied
    The majority of FMA systems focus on weapons far more than empty hand work. The level of sophistication and time spent is going to depend on the system. For example, Lacoste-Inosanto Kali has a very deep empty hand system that is based on boxing movements. Yaw Yan is entirely empty hand. Kali Illustrisimo has a very kick boxing based empty hand system. Other systems do far less. And sometimes it depends on the night you show up for training. Last night we did a bunch of pad work with empty hand striking. Other nights, not so much.

What system and what school did you try?
    I think they call the style they use Punite FMA from what I saw on their page.

Leave a comment:

• jwinch2
    replied
    Originally posted by Permalost View Post
    Look up NUDAA for good empty hand FMA.
    Agreed. I like what I see from them in the form of Empty Hand work. I know jack about their weapons stuff though.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X