Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

went to watch an fma class...kind of disappointed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    went to watch an fma class...kind of disappointed

    The class was really just stick routines and they hardly do any unarmed combat. oh well.

    #2
    FMA isn't really known for it's unarmed combat. They are primarily know for stick and knife. While many do included Empty Hand techniques, they are nothing to write home about.

    Comment


      #3
      The majority of FMA systems focus on weapons far more than empty hand work. The level of sophistication and time spent is going to depend on the system. For example, Lacoste-Inosanto Kali has a very deep empty hand system that is based on boxing movements. Yaw Yan is entirely empty hand. Kali Illustrisimo has a very kick boxing based empty hand system. Other systems do far less. And sometimes it depends on the night you show up for training. Last night we did a bunch of pad work with empty hand striking. Other nights, not so much.

      What system and what school did you try?
      Last edited by jwinch2; 6/02/2016 5:45am, .

      Comment


        #4
        Some examples of Illustrisimo empty hand work.



        Comment


          #5
          Empty hand isn't the main focus of FMA, but I still believe that its empty hand is still more practical and well thought out than a lot of pure empty hand arts out there (TKD for example). Empty hand FMA tends to use a boxing type stance with light, mobile footwork. This alone is an improvement over low wide stance sideways krotty fighting. Boxing is encouraged and a few Filipinos have contributed to the modern boxing game.

          on the other hand, FMA, either armed or empty hand, can be compliant hold-your-arm-out-while-I-counter-ten-times stuff too, and I daresay it may be more common than the good stuff.

          Comment


            #6
            Look up NUDAA for good empty hand FMA.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Permalost View Post
              Empty hand isn't the main focus of FMA, but I still believe that its empty hand is still more practical and well thought out than a lot of pure empty hand arts out there (TKD for example). Empty hand FMA tends to use a boxing type stance with light, mobile footwork. This alone is an improvement over low wide stance sideways krotty fighting. Boxing is encouraged and a few Filipinos have contributed to the modern boxing game.

              on the other hand, FMA, either armed or empty hand, can be compliant hold-your-arm-out-while-I-counter-ten-times stuff too, and I daresay it may be more common than the good stuff.
              A good Filipino boxer? That's ridiculous.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by CrippledPheonix View Post
                The class was really just stick routines and they hardly do any unarmed combat. oh well.
                Me thinks you didn't do a lot of education before going. So now we're disappointed in you. Bad newbie bad.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Permalost View Post
                  Empty hand isn't the main focus of FMA, but I still believe that its empty hand is still more practical and well thought out than a lot of pure empty hand arts out there (TKD for example). Empty hand FMA tends to use a boxing type stance with light, mobile footwork. This alone is an improvement over low wide stance sideways krotty fighting. Boxing is encouraged and a few Filipinos have contributed to the modern boxing game.

                  on the other hand, FMA, either armed or empty hand, can be compliant hold-your-arm-out-while-I-counter-ten-times stuff too, and I daresay it may be more common than the good stuff.
                  Agreed with all of that. I hate that last bit, and thank God we don't do it. The other version that sucks is where the master has the student move in super slow-mo so that he can execute a bunch of counters. There is a time and place for that sort of drill, don't get me wrong. It takes time to recognize angles of attack and think of logical counters, but when I see it done it is often in the form of a demo, so that the master can look cool.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Permalost View Post
                    Look up NUDAA for good empty hand FMA.
                    Agreed. I like what I see from them in the form of Empty Hand work. I know jack about their weapons stuff though.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by jwinch2 View Post
                      The majority of FMA systems focus on weapons far more than empty hand work. The level of sophistication and time spent is going to depend on the system. For example, Lacoste-Inosanto Kali has a very deep empty hand system that is based on boxing movements. Yaw Yan is entirely empty hand. Kali Illustrisimo has a very kick boxing based empty hand system. Other systems do far less. And sometimes it depends on the night you show up for training. Last night we did a bunch of pad work with empty hand striking. Other nights, not so much.

                      What system and what school did you try?
                      I think they call the style they use Punite FMA from what I saw on their page.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by CrippledPheonix View Post
                        I think they call the style they use Punite FMA from what I saw on their page.
                        Odd. There are a couple of different histories they are presenting. One claims the founder started the system in 1990's after studying Kombaton and another style I did not recognize. Another history claims it is something passed on from their ancestors.

                        Where are you located?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Did you ask about the empty hand? You can get a wide variety of responses from FMA guys. Some will say "we have that too" and show you drills some will show you mitt work and something more and some may offer to spar with you, others will admit that they're more weapons focused. Most FMA is based around weapons at basic level and empty hand at advanced if at all. If empty hand is what you want look to an empty hand based system if you want weapons+empty hand just ask and evaluate the response.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Damn. Little phone keypad. That was supposed to be an up vote Ray.

                            I was in PI when the islands all but shut down, including crime, when Manny fought.

                            On topic, I've been thinking of FMA. Seems the good stuff is hard to find.
                            Last edited by hungryjoe; 6/03/2016 10:06pm, .
                            Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

                            http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
                              Damn. Little phone keypad. That was supposed to be an up vote Ray.

                              I was in PI when the islands all but shut down, including crime, when Manny fought.

                              On topic, I've been thinking of FMA. Seems the good stuff is hard to find.
                              It can be. It really depends on what you are looking for.

                              Now that FMA has started to become more well known, there are "masters" showing up right and left claiming to teach some obscure family system or, who simply studied a couple of other systems and then went off to do their own thing. I know of guys who got to apprentice instructor in one system and then left to do their own thing with that being the only thing they ever studied. FMA is also ripe with people stealing things from other systems and not giving them credit.

                              There is also the "me too" mentality in that people who run systems don't like to admit that they don't have something, so when they see someone else teaching something, they then try to incorporate that into theirs so that they can claim they have a "complete" system. The reality is that many of the older systems were really quite simple and focused on one or two weapon types at most with some empty hand thrown in. And of course, there really are a bunch of obscure family systems, hundreds and hundreds of them in fact, and people really have studied a few things and then combined them into something worthwhile.

                              All of this, as you correctly noted, can make the good stuff hard to find. But, there really is good stuff out there, and if you are interested, it is worth looking for.

                              I'm sure we would be happy to help if you can give a bit of info on what you are after.
                              Last edited by jwinch2; 6/04/2016 7:31am, .

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X