X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ming Loyalist
    replied
    Originally posted by BKR View Post
    The Saudi woman was an anomaly. Anybody who makes it to WC or Olympics is going to be a black belt in Judo.
    ok wait a second, i thought that during the controversy over the saudi woman wearing a black belt at the olympics that it came up that several competitors were still brown belts (ikkyu) due to age restrictions but were allowed to wear black belts at international IJF events (and the olympics.)

Leave a comment:

• Raycetpfl
    replied
    Originally posted by DCS View Post
    I think there is no Kata tournaments for white belts.
    I don't know if I have ever been more insulted on the interwebz.
    That was cold as ice.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by NeilG View Post
    I don't think there's even a rank minimum, is there? It's up to your national federation to determine who qualifies for their team and rank isn't necessarily one of the qualifications. There was that one poor girl from Saudi Arabia who competed as a blue belt last Olympics.

Local tournaments are often divided by rank if they have enough competitors, but there's usually only 2 categories: typically brown/black, then everybody else.
    The Saudi woman was an anomaly. Anybody who makes it to WC or Olympics is going to be a black belt in Judo. Quite a few cadets and many juniors compete as black belts already.

One of my students trains from time to time at a large dojo in Montreal. At blue belt (nikyu), he was an anomoly, most of the other 14 and 15 year olds were ikkyu already.

Leave a comment:

• NeilG
    replied
    I'll be the first to admit that the IJF and the IOC are profit-driven, essentially ersatz amateur athletic ideals and goals.

However, they have not yet sunken to the low of money grubbing of having WC or Olympics for non-black belts. Yes, they have WC for Cadets and Juniors.
    I don't think there's even a rank minimum, is there? It's up to your national federation to determine who qualifies for their team and rank isn't necessarily one of the qualifications. There was that one poor girl from Saudi Arabia who competed as a blue belt last Olympics.

Local tournaments are often divided by rank if they have enough competitors, but there's usually only 2 categories. IIRC at the Sask Open they have an adult beginner division which is green and under, or is it orange? Anyway, locally there might be a suitable division for a BJJ guy who wants to try his hand at competitive judo.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    I wanna win Judo White belt Worlds :-p.
    I'll be the first to admit that the IJF and the IOC are profit-driven, essentially ersatz amateur athletic ideals and goals.

However, they have not yet sunken to the low of money grubbing of having WC or Olympics for non-black belts. Yes, they have WC for Cadets and Juniors.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by DCS View Post
    This Jimmy Pedro?

It seems he is skilled... considering American Judo standards.
    Marcelo who ?

Leave a comment:

• DCS
    replied
    I think there is no Kata tournaments for white belts.

Leave a comment:

• BackFistMonkey
    replied
    You would get knee capped in the parking lot by a "random" Tesla malfunction.

Leave a comment:

• Raycetpfl
    replied
    LOL, very funny, but good question. I'd have to see his ukemi under Judo conditions and what passes for standup grappling in his case. It's mainly a safety, then understanding the rules sort of issue.

I suggest Rayce go work out with Rhadi for a while. Although I think Rhadi is pretty busy with private clients at this point in time.

Leave a comment:

• Raycetpfl
    replied
    You should man up and enter a few judo contests.
    I would like to. That sounds like fun.

Leave a comment:

• DCS
    replied
    Look up Kayla Harrison...she is winning too. Jimmy Pedro is her coach. He learned all his armbar skills from BJJ. Just ask him, he will tell you....
    This Jimmy Pedro?

It seems he is skilled... considering American Judo standards.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by goodlun View Post
    But at what belt!?
    LOL, very funny, but good question. I'd have to see his ukemi under Judo conditions and what passes for standup grappling in his case. It's mainly a safety, then understanding the rules sort of issue.

I suggest Rayce go work out with Rhadi for a while. Although I think Rhadi is pretty busy with private clients at this point in time.

Leave a comment:

• goodlun
    replied
    But at what belt!?

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    To be fair to Judo, I think he may have taken a few Judo classes.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by NeilG View Post
    So not really a masters competition, no age brackets. How is this different from any other IJF event?

It's not...

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X