Bjj Black Travis Stevens wins Masters World Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Can I just choose to fight with the black belts in usa judo tournaments? That's awesome if so.
    It would depend on the tournament. I THINK there is still a joint sanctioning agreement in place. So for local and regional tournaments, you could joint USA Judo, United States Judo Federation, or United States Judo Association.

It used to be that you had to be a member of USA Judo (the NGB) to compete at "point, or qualification tournaments, or national championships, et al.

Neil is Canadian, LOl...

No, you can't just choose to fight with black belts. Technically, you are a white belt in Judo, and a judo black belt would have to sign off on you (there is a special form for it) to compete at all.

It would be like me showing up at an IBJJF tournament with my Judo black belt and just signing up to fight in the black belt divisions, or whatever they are called. Would be a no-go, right ?

So it's a bit more complicated. The USJA used to have a set up to where you could go and get tested by a certified rank examiner up to a certain belt based on your skill level. That might work to get some official judo rank.

I don't doubt your ability, however, you would want to train some at Judo specifically to get used to the rules. If you had to fight in a white belt or other beginner division, you might well not be allowed to do submissions (chokes and armbars). Which would be fair, I would think, to the other essentially noobish competitors. So it might take you a bit of time to get moved up to more experienced level of competition.

Which probably makes it not worth your time...

Comment

I have to take dancing lessons for my upcoming wedding but after that I am gonna take judo.
      You can pull guard at the wedding and save the money for Judo lessons.

Comment

I have to take dancing lessons for my upcoming wedding
        What the fuck am I reading?

Comment

I have solid stand up grappling. I can hang with D1 guys,we will go back and forth. I don't know if I have ever trained with high level Judo guys? The guys who I have trained that claimed to be Judo black belts I threw around. They were not high level players and didn't claim to be. Either way there is a place not far from my new house that has classes and a pretty high ranking guy runs it.
          I have to take dancing lessons for my upcoming wedding but after that I am gonna take judo.
          I doubt you ever trained with high level judo guys, as there are not that many in the USA. And by high level, I mean your age and at the peak of their game. Well, I guess most would be younger than you, as you are a bit long in the tooth for true elite level judo competition.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
            I doubt you ever trained with high level judo guys, as there are not that many in the USA. And by high level, I mean your age and at the peak of their game. Well, I guess most would be younger than you, as you are a bit long in the tooth for true elite level judo competition.
            He didn't specialize too early. He should be all set for the Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
              It would depend on the tournament. I THINK there is still a joint sanctioning agreement in place. So for local and regional tournaments, you could joint USA Judo, United States Judo Federation, or United States Judo Association.

It used to be that you had to be a member of USA Judo (the NGB) to compete at "point, or qualification tournaments, or national championships, et al.

Neil is Canadian, LOl...

No, you can't just choose to fight with black belts. Technically, you are a white belt in Judo, and a judo black belt would have to sign off on you (there is a special form for it) to compete at all.

It would be like me showing up at an IBJJF tournament with my Judo black belt and just signing up to fight in the black belt divisions, or whatever they are called. Would be a no-go, right ?

So it's a bit more complicated. The USJA used to have a set up to where you could go and get tested by a certified rank examiner up to a certain belt based on your skill level. That might work to get some official judo rank.

I don't doubt your ability, however, you would want to train some at Judo specifically to get used to the rules. If you had to fight in a white belt or other beginner division, you might well not be allowed to do submissions (chokes and armbars). Which would be fair, I would think, to the other essentially noobish competitors. So it might take you a bit of time to get moved up to more experienced level of competition.

Which probably makes it not worth your time...
              I really am interested in learning Judo for Judo's sake. I'm also interested in winning tournaments in the IBJJF and Judo tournaments for that matter. I certainly have lots of room for improvement in my stand up grappling that's for sure. I watch the Olympic team guys and girls in awe...... unless they are trying to pass guard..... then I giggle to myself. :-p

Comment

Originally posted by Devil View Post
                Not true Devil. I have been wreckin' bitches since day one.

Comment

Can I just choose to fight with the black belts in usa judo tournaments? That's awesome if so.
                  Try a Freestyle Judo tournament or a Sambo tournament.
                  Also, if you are as good as you say you are with takedowns in a Gi,
                  I would be surprised if after assessing your ability if a Judo coach would not suggest a validation of rank or other promotion up to a middle belt grade to enter you in a tournament at,
                  so you did not just plow through the Judo white belts unfairly.
                  Back in 1991, as a wrestler with 6 years of competition experience, my Judo coach entered me in Judo tournaments as a brown belt.
                  I did very well competing in Judo as a brown belt.
                  But there was a HUGE difference between the black belt division and the brown belt division.
                  (Against Judo black belts, even after I had a few years of training Judo, I frequently got tossed high in the air, and hard on to my back).
                  If it goes to the ground, your groundwork background will help you if you have a game that works within the Judo rules.
                  But if you want to throw in a Gi against Judo black belts your own age and weight,
                  Especially under IJF style rules,
                  You would be better served training in real Judo for 3-5 years consistently to get there.
                  Last edited by Dr. Gonzo; 5/31/2016 3:14pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by DCS View Post
                    You can pull guard at the wedding and save the money for Judo lessons.
                    I am more of a Tome Nage/ Drop Seio nage. I am actually get hitched in my gi.

The Gi's were her idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Devil View Post
                      Might well be... he certainly is some sort of outlier...

Comment

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
                        I would be surprised if after assessing your ability if a Judo coach would not suggest a validation of rank or other promotion up to a middle belt grade to enter you in a tournament at,
                        Back in 1991, as a wrestler with 6 years of competition experience, my Judo coach entered me in Judo tournaments as a brown belt.
                        But there was a HUGE difference between the black belt division and the brown belt division.
                        (Against Judo black belts, even after I had a few years of training Judo, I frequently got tossed high in the air, and hard on to my back).
                        If it goes to the ground, your groundwork background will help you if you have a game that works within the Judo rules.
                        But if you want to throw in a Gi against Judo black belts your own age and weight,
                        You would be better served training in real Judo for 3-5 years consistently to get there.
                        There's no free style judo in Florida. There's barely any regular judo.

Comment

I forgot about the Freestyle Judo stuff. The center of that is Denham Springs, Louisiana. They have fairly regular tournaments. Wall to Wall Martial Arts. There is also a Freestyle Judo FAcebook page, but he probably knows that already.

Comment

Roadtrip to New Orleans then.
                            They used to have freestyle judo tournaments there.
                            I used to have to fly out of country or to Cali to find BJJ tournaments in the early and mid-nineties.
                            And, I am definitely planning a Russia bucket list trip to visit some Sambo schools.

Comment

yes...
                              http://www.floridajudoinc.org/events.php

Comment

Roadtrip to New Orleans then.
                                They used to have freestyle judo tournaments there.
                                I used to have to fly out of country or to Cali to find BJJ tournaments in the early and mid-nineties.
                                And, I am definitely planning a Russia bucket list trip to visit some Sambo schools.
                                http://wallmartialarts.com/about-us/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FreestyleJudo/

I know Vincent, taught him some Judo a long time ago...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X