Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bjj Black Travis Stevens wins Masters World Championship

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    I wanna win Judo White belt Worlds :-p.
    You would get knee capped in the parking lot by a "random" Tesla malfunction.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
      I wanna win Judo White belt Worlds :-p.
      I think there is no Kata tournaments for white belts.

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by DCS View Post
        This Jimmy Pedro?



        It seems he is skilled... considering American Judo standards.
        Marcelo who ?

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
          I wanna win Judo White belt Worlds :-p.
          I'll be the first to admit that the IJF and the IOC are profit-driven, essentially ersatz amateur athletic ideals and goals.

          However, they have not yet sunken to the low of money grubbing of having WC or Olympics for non-black belts. Yes, they have WC for Cadets and Juniors.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by BKR View Post
            I'll be the first to admit that the IJF and the IOC are profit-driven, essentially ersatz amateur athletic ideals and goals.

            However, they have not yet sunken to the low of money grubbing of having WC or Olympics for non-black belts. Yes, they have WC for Cadets and Juniors.
            I don't think there's even a rank minimum, is there? It's up to your national federation to determine who qualifies for their team and rank isn't necessarily one of the qualifications. There was that one poor girl from Saudi Arabia who competed as a blue belt last Olympics.

            Local tournaments are often divided by rank if they have enough competitors, but there's usually only 2 categories. IIRC at the Sask Open they have an adult beginner division which is green and under, or is it orange? Anyway, locally there might be a suitable division for a BJJ guy who wants to try his hand at competitive judo.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by NeilG View Post
              I don't think there's even a rank minimum, is there? It's up to your national federation to determine who qualifies for their team and rank isn't necessarily one of the qualifications. There was that one poor girl from Saudi Arabia who competed as a blue belt last Olympics.

              Local tournaments are often divided by rank if they have enough competitors, but there's usually only 2 categories: typically brown/black, then everybody else.
              The Saudi woman was an anomaly. Anybody who makes it to WC or Olympics is going to be a black belt in Judo. Quite a few cadets and many juniors compete as black belts already.

              One of my students trains from time to time at a large dojo in Montreal. At blue belt (nikyu), he was an anomoly, most of the other 14 and 15 year olds were ikkyu already.

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by DCS View Post
                I think there is no Kata tournaments for white belts.
                I don't know if I have ever been more insulted on the interwebz.
                That was cold as ice.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by BKR View Post
                  The Saudi woman was an anomaly. Anybody who makes it to WC or Olympics is going to be a black belt in Judo.
                  ok wait a second, i thought that during the controversy over the saudi woman wearing a black belt at the olympics that it came up that several competitors were still brown belts (ikkyu) due to age restrictions but were allowed to wear black belts at international IJF events (and the olympics.)

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by BKR View Post
                    The Saudi woman was an anomaly. Anybody who makes it to WC or Olympics is going to be a black belt in Judo. Quite a few cadets and many juniors compete as black belts already.
                    Of course, but what I am saying is that there isn't a rank requirement per se. It's not a "black belt" tournament. Buddha is not going to have to provide Daniel-san with a belt.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by NeilG View Post
                      Of course, but what I am saying is that there isn't a rank requirement per se. It's not a "black belt" tournament. Buddha is not going to have to provide Daniel-san with a belt.
                      Can I just choose to fight with the black belts in usa judo tournaments? That's awesome if so.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                        Can I just choose to fight with the black belts in usa judo tournaments? That's awesome if so.
                        i think you need to be a member of USA judo (no rank requirement for that) and you need a black belt to vouch for your skill level, at least at our local tournaments it seems to work that way (substitute USJF for USA judo.)

                        they could make it more of a PITA for USA judo events though.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                          Can I just choose to fight with the black belts in usa judo tournaments? That's awesome if so.
                          Really depends on the tournament. Some tournaments they don't split by rank, so you get all ranks fighting together. Others they will divide, usually just into two divisions. Not sure you really want to fight the black belts unless you have a lot of stand-up practice: you're going to have a very short day.

                          Coming in without rank you might have problems anyway. Maybe someone could assign you a kyu rank for purposes of letting you compete: not sure about the rules in the USA but around here they are the dojo's responsibility. Some tournaments will restrict subs by rank, for example if you are orange or lower you can neither choke someone nor be choked. Those sorts of rules would tend to cramp a BJJ guy's style for sure.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by NeilG View Post
                            .
                            Coming in without rank you might have problems anyway. Maybe someone could assign you a kyu rank for purposes of letting you compete: not sure about the rules in the USA but around here they are the dojo's responsibility. Some tournaments will restrict subs by rank, for example if you are orange or lower you can neither choke someone nor be choked. Those sorts of rules would tend to cramp a BJJ guy's style for sure.
                            I have solid stand up grappling. I can hang with D1 guys,we will go back and forth. I don't know if I have ever trained with high level Judo guys? The guys who I have trained that claimed to be Judo black belts I threw around. They were not high level players and didn't claim to be. Either way there is a place not far from my new house that has classes and a pretty high ranking guy runs it.
                            I have to take dancing lessons for my upcoming wedding but after that I am gonna take judo.
                            Last edited by Raycetpfl; 5/31/2016 2:06pm, .

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
                              ok wait a second, i thought that during the controversy over the saudi woman wearing a black belt at the olympics that it came up that several competitors were still brown belts (ikkyu) due to age restrictions but were allowed to wear black belts at international IJF events (and the olympics.)
                              I have no effing idea... I tried to look up requirements for WC (senior) and Olympics as far as rank goes, and didn't make any progress. It would be under tournament guidelines on the IJF website, but I'm too busy to mess with it. Lunch finally arrived...

                              Blue belt is nikyu, so really, a brown belt traditionally.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                                I have to take dancing lessons for my upcoming wedding but after that I am gonna take judo.
                                just take judo lessons instead of dancing, no one will know the difference, but your dancing partners will keep falling down for some reason.

                                Comment

                                Collapse

                                Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                                Working...
                                X