No announcement yet.

"Schoolyard bully" gets clowned!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judo refs are forbudden from taking a knee? Who referees that rule?

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
      Judo refs are forbudden from taking a knee? Who referees that rule?
      The higher level refs who are scrutinizing your every call and move on the "Referee Jury", that's who...
      Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
        Oh my shame...I do that every time. It's a safe money bar bet that I will misspell that throw every time.
        It's a common error, please don't feed yourself to an alligator...

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
          The higher level refs who are scrutinizing your every call and move on the "Referee Jury", that's who...
          Can this have any effect on the match that the Ref dropped to a knee in?
          Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
          –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
            Can this have any effect on the match that the Ref dropped to a knee in?
            No, the match will not be interrupted, the ref on the mat will just get his ass chewed when he comes off the mat after the match is over. The jury might call him over for a conference if they are really peeved by it.

Comment

Yes. That was one of the things that left me scratching my head at the judo tournaments I went to. One of them, especially. They had almost as many fucking refs as competitors, it seemed like. And they had refs watching the refs. And they all seemed smug as hell. And what I'm assuming were the junior refs seemed nervous as shit. And it really almost felt like it was more about the fat old referees than the competitors. Weird.

Comment

2nd times the charm, Bill.

Kata GUruma.

Yoko Gake is the worst by far, however, Kata Guruma is quit difficult to do correctly.
                I'll take that kata guruma fall every single time over yoko gake.

Comment

Originally posted by Devil View Post
                  Yes. That was one of the things that left me scratching my head at the judo tournaments I went to. One of them, especially. They had almost as many fucking refs as competitors, it seemed like. And they had refs watching the refs. And they all seemed smug as hell. And what I'm assuming were the junior refs seemed nervous as shit. And it really almost felt like it was more about the fat old referees than the competitors. Weird.
                  Well, that isn't uncommon in Judo tournaments. The junior refs are nervous because they are getting evaluated for promotion to a higher level of referee (or not). Sometimes there are NOT enough refs, too...

A culture had developed in Judo about referees attaining some sort of god-like powers and status. Not sure exactly why, though.

Being a good judo referee is tough, especially at higher levels of competition. But it doesn't justify placing them on a pedestal when that happens.

So many folks buy into the sempai-kohai Japanese culture stuff in Judo... I saw a lot of that when I was a referee. Fortunately, I had a couple of mentors who were trying to change the culture, and have been succeeding (this is in the USA). But when I left Texas, that all changed. The Pacific NW was a bit behind the times in that regard, and I walked away from reffing with better things to do.

Comment

Originally posted by NeilG View Post
                    I'll take that kata guruma fall every single time over yoko gake.
                    I second that thought, Neil. Tori can support uke in Kata Guruma...Yoko Gake is essentially getting dropped flat on your back.

Comment

Coach Of BJJ Kid That Beat Up Bully Talks Proudly About Student

http://www.bjjee.com/videos/coach-of...about-student/

Comment

Originally posted by DCS View Post
                        Coach Of BJJ Kid That Beat Up Bully Talks Proudly About Student

http://www.bjjee.com/videos/coach-of...about-student/
                        Thanks for digging that up. That coach seems like a class act -- he even quoted his mom twice during that video :-)

Hearing that the prior to the video, MMA kid had already walked away and was being pursued, makes his response seem much more reasonable to me.

At about minute 27 the coach talks about what he would have done differently. He says maybe he would have tried to talk the "bully" down more. I agree with that observation as well as the observation the coach makes about that being what a 40-year-old adult would think. While I knew I was was making ridiculous assumptions about the situation (this is YMAS after all), I didn't see that facet of ridiculousness in my thinking.

If my son is faced with the same situation I can only hope he handles it the way MMA kid did -- in both skill and attitude.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X