Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a BJJ Gi imply you are ranked in BJJ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Does a BJJ Gi imply you are ranked in BJJ?

    So this seems to happen again and again. Black Belt in Japanese Jujutsu or some other TMA purchases a known BJJ Branded Gi but with their Black Belt in their other art. I am not referring to the Black Belt with the Red Bar synonymous with BJJ ranking but a standard Black Belt. Are they being disingenuous with what they representing?

    On 1 side, BJJ Gis are cut a lot more comfortably than Judo Gis, they are often Lighter and have a Slimmer Fit. On the other hand, these Brand Logos are known for BJJ attire. Additionally, when a Japanese Jujutsu Instructor wears a Judo Gi, no one is claiming they are trying to pass as a Judo instructor.

    Now does this change, if they teach Ground Fighting/Ne Waza?

    I am curious as this happening again:

    https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/anothe...-belt-exposed/
    https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/bjj-in...kes-statement/
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/foru...others:2562178

    I know this is odd for me, because I have a Nidan in Japanese Jujutsu, but I don't feel I can represent it any more. While I still have the belt, my old Judo Gi from 6 years ago doesn't really fit anymore (too big) so the only Gis I have are BJJ Gis. Therefore, even if I am asked to teach a Japanese Jujutsu Class, I tend to wear my BJJ Purple Belt as not to misrepresent myself.
    Last edited by plasma; 5/25/2016 10:07am, .

    #2
    Wait, what? A blue belt dojo stormed and called out a JJ blackbelt because he was wearing a BJJ gi?

    One of this days someone is going to get hurt.

    Anyway, to the question "Does a BJJ Gi imply you are ranked in BJJ?" my answer is "no, not at all".

    Comment


      #3
      I think it can muddy the waters for sure.
      However I would certainly say by itself it doesn't imply anything.
      I am more concerned with the the Black Belt with a Rank Bar while teaching "JJ" or even worse "BJJ"

      Comment


        #4
        It seems to me that some people put way too much status into what pajamas people wear. I really don't see how choosing a gi in any way misleads anyone. Unless if the person is either claiming to be something they're not or if the gi specifically is marked with BJJ on it, I don't think it could be considered misleading. Jesus even aikido masters don't argue this much over their pajamas.

        Comment


          #5
          Aside from the obvious differences in gi/kimono construction, I think the most important thing is for an instructor to be up-front about his/her credentials to his/her students and prospective students; that honesty will transcend most witch hunts, I think. But, for ongoing concerns, it would be best to dress in the garb specific to the art being taught/practiced.

          For example, my instructor at a previous school was a moderately high-ranking black belt in that system, but at the time only a blue belt (under the Valente bros, iirc). He and his superiors were bringing BJJ to the curriculum to round out the fighting ranges, but he was honest about teaching BJJ principles as part of the system, not as standalone BJJ. He always wore his "regular" karategi, and his black belt, but because he was up-front about his credentials, we were never disillusioned that we were learning BJJ from a BJJ master.
          Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by goodlun View Post
            I think it can muddy the waters for sure.
            However I would certainly say by itself it doesn't imply anything.
            I am more concerned with the the Black Belt with a Rank Bar while teaching "JJ" or even worse "BJJ"
            Keep the rank bar off the belts and I am cool with it.
            Luta Livre players are issued black belts with a Rank Bar but this doesn't bother me. It's such an incestuous style and now the lineages are all intertwined. Marco Ruas is ranked in both and trains the N.U guys like Aldo,Penn,Rizo,etc.

            Everyone else can fuck off in my opinion. Any other wearers of the bjj rank bar belts are clear fakers of the funk and its a clear case of shenanigans.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by DCS View Post
              Wait, what? A blue belt dojo stormed and called out a JJ blackbelt because he was wearing a BJJ gi?

              One of this days someone is going to get hurt.

              Anyway, to the question "Does a BJJ Gi imply you are ranked in BJJ?" my answer is "no, not at all".
              It's also said bjj on the side of the building. It was pretty clear fuckery. They where definitely attempting a bait and switch even if they weren't actively lying.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                It's also said bjj on the side of the building.
                Well, that's different.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                  Keep the rank bar off the belts and I am cool with it.
                  Luta Livre players are issued black belts with a Rank Bar but this doesn't bother me. It's such an incestuous style and now the lineages are all intertwined. Marco Ruas is ranked in both and trains the N.U guys like Aldo,Penn,Rizo,etc.

                  Everyone else can fuck off in my opinion. Any other wearers of the bjj rank bar belts are clear fakers of the funk and its a clear case of shenanigans.
                  BJJ is not the only art to use stripes for ranking. True, the rank bar is sort of a staple of BJJ, but I think it's more about aesthetics (hard to put white stripes on a white belt) than actual representation of BJJ. I hold a blue belt (kenpo-style ranking) in my previous art, we didn't use rank bars, but we did use stripes with different colored tape to ensure the contrast. I see the rank bar as just a means of ensuring contrast from the base belt.

                  And, yes, BJJ was part of the marketing/logos, but as I said, before, the instructors were forthcoming about how they ranked in BJJ, and how BJJ fit into the system they were teaching. In cases like that, I don't have a problem. It's more important for the student/consumer to know what questions to ask, or how to ask them; everything else is a holy war for internet combatants.
                  Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by plasma View Post
                    So this seems to happen again and again. Black Belt in Japanese Jujutsu or some other TMA purchases a known BJJ Branded Gi but with their Black Belt in their other art. I am not referring to the Black Belt with the Red Bar synonymous with BJJ ranking but a standard Black Belt. Are they being disingenuous with what they representing?

                    On 1 side, BJJ Gis are cut a lot more comfortably than Judo Gis, they are often Lighter and have a Slimmer Fit. On the other hand, these Brand Logos are known for BJJ attire. Additionally, when a Japanese Jujutsu Instructor wears a Judo Gi, no one is claiming they are trying to pass as a Judo instructor.

                    Now does this change, if they teach Ground Fighting/Ne Waza?

                    I am curious as this happening again:

                    https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/anothe...-belt-exposed/
                    https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/bjj-in...kes-statement/
                    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/foru...others:2562178

                    I know this is odd for me, because I have a Nidan in Japanese Jujutsu, but I don't feel I can represent it any more. While I see have the belt, my old Judo Gi from 6 years ago doesn't really fit anymore (too big) so the only Gis I have are BJJ Gis. Therefore, even if I am asked to teach a Japanese Jujutsu Class, I tend to wear my BJJ Purple Belt as not to misrepresent myself.
                    Wear the belt you earned in the subject you are teaching. Wear the belt you earned in the subject you earned it in when you are training the subject in which you earned the belt.

                    I wear a white belt when I am at BJJ class. I wear a black belt when I am doing judo. If a BJJ instructor asked me to teach Judo at a BJJ class as a guest, I'd wear my judo black belt, assuming that I would be announced as a judo black belt who will be teaching Judo, however similar it might be to BJJ.

                    I don't doubt the guy in the "belt exposed" story was trying to "cash in" on associating himself with BJJ by wearing a BJJ branded uniform. That's par for the course. The bjj blue belt storming his dojo is an asshole IMO in any case. He's trespassing, has no authority to question anything the guy does, what he wears, what he claims to teach directly or indirectly by association with a uniform.

                    There is no NGB for BJJ, no real regulation, no controlling authority for rank. It's essentially a for-profit free for all.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by submessenger View Post
                      It's more important for the student/consumer to know what questions to ask, or how to ask them; everything else is a holy war for internet combatants.
                      It shouldn't be a shell game to find out credentials either.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by BKR View Post
                        I wear a white belt when I am at BJJ class. I wear a black belt when I am doing judo.
                        Interesting. My instructor awarded a BJJ blue belt to a Judo black belt after just a few classes. I'm not sure of his (Judo guy's) prior BJJ experience, but he has an excellent (compared to me) submission game. The instructor did not award a higher belt to the collegiate wrestler (though he competed and won gold at blue belt at some local tournament). He did not award a higher belt to a guy with some JJJ experience (not sure of his JJJ rank).

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by submessenger View Post
                          Aside from the obvious differences in gi/kimono construction, I think the most important thing is for an instructor to be up-front about his/her credentials to his/her students and prospective students; that honesty will transcend most witch hunts, I think. But, for ongoing concerns, it would be best to dress in the garb specific to the art being taught/practiced.

                          For example, my instructor at a previous school was a moderately high-ranking black belt in that system, but at the time only a blue belt (under the Valente bros, iirc). He and his superiors were bringing BJJ to the curriculum to round out the fighting ranges, but he was honest about teaching BJJ principles as part of the system, not as standalone BJJ. He always wore his "regular" karategi, and his black belt, but because he was up-front about his credentials, we were never disillusioned that we were learning BJJ from a BJJ master.
                          That sounds like the way to do it properly. Imagine people being honest and upfront about their credentials...

                          What a concept !

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                            Keep the rank bar off the belts and I am cool with it.
                            Luta Livre players are issued black belts with a Rank Bar but this doesn't bother me. It's such an incestuous style and now the lineages are all intertwined. Marco Ruas is ranked in both and trains the N.U guys like Aldo,Penn,Rizo,etc.

                            Everyone else can fuck off in my opinion. Any other wearers of the bjj rank bar belts are clear fakers of the funk and its a clear case of shenanigans.
                            So who says BJJ has a monopoly on "rank bars" ? The BJJ police ?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by BKR View Post
                              Wear the belt you earned in the subject you are teaching. Wear the belt you earned in the subject you earned it in when you are training the subject in which you earned the belt.

                              I wear a white belt when I am at BJJ class. I wear a black belt when I am doing judo. If a BJJ instructor asked me to teach Judo at a BJJ class as a guest, I'd wear my judo black belt, assuming that I would be announced as a judo black belt who will be teaching Judo, however similar it might be to BJJ.

                              I don't doubt the guy in the "belt exposed" story was trying to "cash in" on associating himself with BJJ by wearing a BJJ branded uniform. That's par for the course. The bjj blue belt storming his dojo is an asshole IMO in any case. He's trespassing, has no authority to question anything the guy does, what he wears, what he claims to teach directly or indirectly by association with a uniform.

                              There is no NGB for BJJ, no real regulation, no controlling authority for rank. It's essentially a for-profit free for all.
                              I agree with everything you said but rolling is a staple for bjj. If you refuse to roll with someone it's pretty clear you're a hack. Anyone can come ask me to roll when ever. They were both able bodied young men close in weight.

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X