Best self defence for disabled people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jim Giant View Post
    Just looked up the law and apparently we can't even use pepper spray. No knives, no guns and impractical for her to carry anything large enough to be used as a bludgeoning weapon.
    and this is precisely why despite being a UK citizen, and having a wife who likes it there, i won't even consider moving there.

i don't need a nanny anymore, thank you very much, i prefer to be treated like an adult.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
      I'd not want to fight with a non-locking folder.
      Of course, but one of these:

is better than nothing.

Comment

https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/inspir...erebral-palsy/

A nice little article about a BJJ competitor that has Cerebral Palsy
        Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
        –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
          https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/inspir...erebral-palsy/

A nice little article about a BJJ competitor that has Cerebral Palsy
          Thanks for the link. The more we think about it the better suited bjj sounds.

Comment

I saw the thread title and was going to say, "a firearm", but then read the first post which alluded to the draconian UK gun ban.

I can't believe that the UK bans personal weapons even for disabled people. You'd think there would be an exemption for disabled people especially people with impaired ambulation.

Just a few thoughts:

*Ordinary bottle of hot sauce. Given a few seconds, smear over your hands and then attempt to eye gouge.
            *Cleaning-type spray bottle filled with bleach as a substitute for pepper spray? Or is that also illegal in the UK?
            *Aerosol can of insecticide, oven cleaner, or other irritant to be used in a manner similar to pepper spray?
            *Bicycle chain with 2 padlocks -> manrikigusari?
            *Body cam attached to shirt to discourage being attacked in the first place?
            *What about carrying a tool like a hatchet, blowtorch, or electric drill? Is that illegal?

I feel so sad thinking about this, how the UK government would use its resources to disarm disabled people. It's like enforcing the helplessness and victimization of the disabled.

It's especially strange because English Common Law was the basis for self defense laws in the US. In 1599 George Silver, an Englishman, wrote that the study of arms was as if not more meritorious than the study of divinity, because the study of arms saves the body from slaughter, gives the gentleman the companionship of his weapon when he is alone and in danger, and allows the gentleman to be calm, collected, and brave even in wars and feuds. Why did the UK abandon this noble and chivalrous spirit?

Even if the UK didn't want to have an armed population, they should at least have a law where if you're disabled you can own a double barrelled breech loading shotgun and a few rounds of buckshot. It wouldn't be sufficient firepower to, say, rob a bank or resist SWAT, but you could be sure that the disabled wouldn't be victimized by happy slapping or crap like that. The guys who do happy slapping would know not to attack the disabled because more than likely at least one or two of them would be slain by their intended victim. Even if they took the casualties and rolled the disabled person in order to obtain the weapon, they would still not have a lot of firepower in the big scheme of things, and they would be critically low on ammunition. (I presume that the home manufacture of ammunition is not nearly as big a think in the UK as it is in the United States).
            Last edited by Wounded Ronin; 6/03/2016 10:12am, .
            Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

OK, a quick follow up.

Semi-automatic shotguns are restricted to a magazine capacity of no more than two shots, although a 'multi-shot' shotgun can be owned under section 5 (restricted firearms and ammunition) of the Firearms Act. Where the term 'multi-shot' is used, this refers to either a Semi-automatic or pump action shotgun with no restriction on magazine capacity. [17]
              Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firear...United_Kingdom

So, can't she just have a pump action shotgun with two rounds in the internal magazine, and one in the chamber? Three rounds of 00 buck should put just about anyone down. It's like she can Mozambique one person when SHTF.

EDIT: The same article states that while most spray weapons are prohibited, cattle prods are generally not prohibited. Could she use a cattle prod?
              Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

Originally posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
                I saw the thread title and was going to say, "a firearm", but then read the first post which alluded to the draconian UK gun ban.

I can't believe that the UK bans personal weapons even for disabled people. You'd think there would be an exemption for disabled people especially people with impaired ambulation.

Just a few thoughts:

*Ordinary bottle of hot sauce. Given a few seconds, smear over your hands and then attempt to eye gouge.
                *Cleaning-type spray bottle filled with bleach as a substitute for pepper spray? Or is that also illegal in the UK?
                *Aerosol can of insecticide, oven cleaner, or other irritant to be used in a manner similar to pepper spray?
                *Bicycle chain with 2 padlocks -> manrikigusari?
                *Body cam attached to shirt to discourage being attacked in the first place?
                *What about carrying a tool like a hatchet, blowtorch, or electric drill? Is that illegal?

I feel so sad thinking about this, how the UK government would use its resources to disarm disabled people. It's like enforcing the helplessness and victimization of the disabled.

It's especially strange because English Common Law was the basis for self defense laws in the US. In 1599 George Silver, an Englishman, wrote that the study of arms was as if not more meritorious than the study of divinity, because the study of arms saves the body from slaughter, gives the gentleman the companionship of his weapon when he is alone and in danger, and allows the gentleman to be calm, collected, and brave even in wars and feuds. Why did the UK abandon this noble and chivalrous spirit?

Even if the UK didn't want to have an armed population, they should at least have a law where if you're disabled you can own a double barrelled breech loading shotgun and a few rounds of buckshot. It wouldn't be sufficient firepower to, say, rob a bank or resist SWAT, but you could be sure that the disabled wouldn't be victimized by happy slapping or crap like that. The guys who do happy slapping would know not to attack the disabled because more than likely at least one or two of them would be slain by their intended victim. Even if they took the casualties and rolled the disabled person in order to obtain the weapon, they would still not have a lot of firepower in the big scheme of things, and they would be critically low on ammunition. (I presume that the home manufacture of ammunition is not nearly as big a think in the UK as it is in the United States).
                I'm quite familiar with the work of George Silver.

I haven't looked at all the legislation but it depends on context. For example it's fine to own a 8 inch kitchen knife but you can't walk through town with one in a sheath. I suspect the same thing would apply to pretty much anything which can be used as an effective weapon. Pepper spray is illegal to buy/sell. Without looking I suspect other defensive sprays are legal to buy but illegal to carry as a weapon.

You can own a shotgun with the required paperwork but you absolutely can't carry one down the street. You could use on in self defence on your property but it comes down to "reasonable force". If it would be reasonable to assume an intruder is physically more capable than you and was intent on causing you harm you might get away with using it but I still wouldn't guarantee it.
                Last edited by Jim Giant; 6/03/2016 5:42pm, .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X