No announcement yet.

Best self defence for disabled people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You live in the UK how much violence is there for you to really worry about?
    I would say she should do BJJ as it would be good for her health.
    However for your own mental health well go take a statistics course at what ever you have for a JC.
    Then look at the crime stats.
    This will make you feel much better.

Comment

Murder rates are definitely lower, but my understanding was that violence rates were still comparable to other major cities.

Comment

Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
        Murder rates are definitely lower, but my understanding was that violence rates were still comparable to other major cities.
        Obviously shootings are lower for obvious reasons but pretty much this. It's not a bad place and like all countries it has it's good places and it's bad and usually places with booze are the worst.
        Ne Obliviscaris

Comment

Originally posted by Kovacs View Post
          Obviously shootings are lower for obvious reasons but pretty much this. It's not a bad place and like all countries it has it's good places and it's bad and usually places with booze are the worst.
          Right and most 1st world countries you can pretty much walk around in unmolested especially if you are not in the "bad" areas of town.
          So the best self defense is to not be poor.

Comment

Despite the laws, people still carry. I found a switchblade on the ground checking the girls toilets at work the other month, and plenty of scumbags even carry box cutters and screwdrivers to the bars too. A lot of shootings go unreported as well out of fear of paramilitary retaliation, mostly punishment beatings for drugs and such, at least in West Belfast anyway. It's no doubt a walk in the park compared to places like East St. Louis, but you can never be too careful.

I had no clue about the pepper spray thing. Hopefully there's some loop hole for something since in court what's debatable is the intent. I think more leniency would be given to someone with disabilities in a self defense situation v some stain perpetrator with likely priors....other than that, I'd go with the jitz.

Comment

I think there are some valuable nuggets to actually pull from this thread in regards to escalating self defense situations.
              http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=125528

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                Who cares. Fear sells and "surviva/sel defense" is an interesting market segment. There are lots of Phil Elmore types who need to be parted from their money.

Comment

Originally posted by rnc357 View Post
                  Looked at that earlier. The idea is spray and GTF out of there, not as likely to work for a disabled person.

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                  Hoe defence, I thought that's what this thread was about?
                  Lolz. Home defence.

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                  I would say she should do BJJ as it would be good for her health.
                  However for your own mental health well go take a statistics course at what ever you have for a JC.
                  Then look at the crime stats.
                  This will make you feel much better.
                  Would be cool to do BJJ together. I know it's still unlikely for her to get attacked but disabled people are more likely to be be attacked. She loves sports and competition and wants to learn some form of self defence/martial art so might as well find the most effective thing possible just in case.

Comment

It sounds like a cane is still a good option, even if she walks with a walker/uses a wheelchair, because you can find a way to holster it to the frame, and she wouldn't get any scrutiny over such a setup. Can ypu carry stun guns in the UK? If so, I'd do the cane as described above, but make it a zap cane.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Giant View Post
                      Would be cool to do BJJ together. I know it's still unlikely for her to get attacked but disabled people are more likely to be be attacked. She loves sports and competition and wants to learn some form of self defence/martial art so might as well find the most effective thing possible just in case.
                      Any sort of defense from her short of shooting someone is going to be a tall order. Do BJJ have some fun and she will still be better prepared if something happens then if she had not done it.
                      But all and all just do all the other stuff that helps people stay safe.

Comment

I guess the real first answer should be a question: self defense against what?

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
                          I guess the real first answer should be a question: self defense against what?

Comment

I recommend an alarm of some sort. Cause a woman in a wheel chair isn't gonna win too many fights. You can't even deck them and run.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
                              Can ypu carry stun guns in the UK? If so, I'd do the cane as described above, but make it a zap cane.
                              Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by DCS View Post
                                Regarding UK law about knives.

There are still some options available for her to carry.

And jits too.
                                I'd not want to fight with a non-locking folder.
                                "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Originally posted by strikistanian
                                DROP SEIONAGI MOTHERFUCKER! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
                                Originally posted by Devil
                                Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
                                Originally posted by Plasma
                                At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
                                Originally posted by SoulMechanic
                                Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X