Time to head on down to the Good will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BKR View Post
    What, you don't buy into the whole zoo zitzoo lifestyle marketing strategy ?

You are such a loser you can't just train and get better without advertising it to the whole world ?
    Nah man, Nah, I don't even like wearing any of my BJJ Shirts, I do have a Hoodie I wear for a place that is no longer around.

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
      First off, totally something I would buy.

On the other hand, isn't that like putting a better weapon in the hand of your opponent? Granted, the common street thug that jumps you may not know a lot of gi-based chokes, but Lloyd Irvin and his crew certainly do.
      1. I figure .0001% of jiu jitsu community should get in a Gi grappling match with me vs. throwing punches. So I will take that bet.

2. It's no different than wearing a leather jacket in function as a gi really.

3. My daughter wanted us to have matching jackets.

4. If it came down to me being in a fight it's more likely I would use the sleeves than someone else using the collar.

5. I'm strapped Playa

6. It's a cool jacket.

Comment

What, you don't buy into the whole zoo zitzoo lifestyle marketing strategy ?

You are such a loser you can't just train and get better without advertising it to the whole world ?
        To be fair I am trying to market my school. Wearing a Tampa Jiu Jitsu shirt and the belt is a nice conversation starter for jiu jitsu talk. Plus I get free shirts.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
          To be fair I am trying to market my school. Wearing a Tampa Jiu Jitsu shirt and the belt is a nice conversation starter for jiu jitsu talk. Plus I get free shirts.
          Sure, I have a couple of "Creston Judo Club" t-shirts I wear, and a jacket as well, for the same reason. That's different than the whole "x-style lifestyle" thing going on.
          Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Sure, I have a couple of "Creston Judo Club" t-shirts I wear, and a jacket as well, for the same reason. That's different than the whole "x-style lifestyle" thing going on.
            The things I like aren't dictated by group think. I just really love jiu jitsu.

Comment

The things I like aren't dictated by group think. I just really love jiu jitsu.
              I get that. You are genuine, have paid your dues and done things the "right" way for sure.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                For those of us that live in places where people don't wear long sleeves, it is certainly important to have a few alternatives.
                Believe it or not, in the late 1990's they used to sell a piece of BJJ gear
                that was what I can only call an "assassin's garrote"
                that you wore as a watch band,
                but that would allow you to do BJJ and Judo style Ezkiel chokes without sleeves.
                I doubt it's use would be looked on favorably by the courts.

Comment

I have one of those too and wear a bjj shirt almost every single day.
                  I always give my BJJ, Wrestling, and Judo t-shirts away to my nephews and/or my own kids.

They seem to get a bigger kick out of them than I do, especially the competitor shirts from the older major tournaments.

Comment

It's advertised as a healthy living lifestyle, but I am not sure if what is advertised is really-exactly what the full lifestyle is in practice.

I sometimes get concerned that the Jiu-Jitsu lifestyle seems in practice to involve a lot of recreational sport activities (grappling, surfing) and playing video games without a great emphasis on career development or academic schoolwork as priorities.

So, as a coach, parent, and university professor, when a young person tells me they want to adopt the Jiu-Jitsu lifestyle my brain tends to treat that the same way as if I heard "I want to spend a lot of time play basketball/ping pong/video games".

I love sports, and I love grappling, but it's not planting, working, or studying.

And it is often not spending quality time with your spouse and children either.

So, particularly as we get older, there has to be a balance between our recreational past-times, and our family, work, and professional development activities.

Comment

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
                      It's advertised as a healthy living lifestyle, but I am not sure if what is advertised is really-exactly what the full lifestyle is in practice.

I sometimes get concerned that the Jiu-Jitsu lifestyle seems in practice to involve a lot of recreational sport activities (grappling, surfing) and playing video games without a great emphasis on career development or academic schoolwork as priorities.

So, as a coach, parent, and university professor, when a young person tells me they want to adopt the Jiu-Jitsu lifestyle my brain tends to treat that the same way as if I heard "I want to spend a lot of time play basketball/ping pong/video games".

I love sports, and I love grappling, but it's not planting, working, or studying.

And it is often not spending quality time with your spouse and children either.

So, particularly as we get older, there has to be a balance between our recreational past-times, and our family, work, and professional development activities.
                      The kids I instruct in judo are always told by me that their schoolwork is much, much more important than their Judo training. Parents certainly agree 10 out of 10 times.

Although I coach judo with an emphasis on competition, the training for competition is a means to an ends. A different age group would have different ends or purpose to the training.

Getting beyond national level competition is a tough row to hoe that requires huge sacrifices on one's mind, body, finances, and career development. In some countries, even getting to national level and being competitive is exceedingly difficult. Not quite so tough in the USA or Canada, but still a lot of work, especially for the older and larger kids (u18 and u21).

Judo isn't going to pay anyone's bills except the outliers in a few cases, certainly not in USA or Canada.

However, the experience of training to compete, and competing, is a good thing when done with the correct/healthy perspective.

I'd love to train more, and will this summer be doing more BJJ. Balancing time with family (my boys will be doing BJJ too), having time for my marriage, recreation, garden, etc. is not easiest thing in the world to do.

I'd say ideally the JJ lifestyle would be for young single people, male more likely than not.

But the marketing keeps expanding...

Comment

The kids I instruct in judo are always told by me that their schoolwork is much, much more important than their Judo training. Parents certainly agree 10 out of 10 times.

The funny things being is I actually don't agree, gasp I know I know hear me out.
                        The stuff they learn in Judo is actually much more valuable to them than most of the stuff they learn in school.
                        I am saying this as a parent of a 10 year old, she really isn't learning much in School, or more to the point she is learning stuff that she will have to relearn in High School then again in College.
                        At her age the physical skills she would learn in Judo would server her better, the social skills she would learn in Judo also would serve her better.

That being said in the grand scheme of things of course learning trade skills is going to be better, but for the time being, the stuff learned in Judo probably helps them out more.

Comment

The funny things being is I actually don't agree, gasp I know I know hear me out.
                          The stuff they learn in Judo is actually much more valuable to them than most of the stuff they learn in school.
                          I am saying this as a parent of a 10 year old, she really isn't learning much in School, or more to the point she is learning stuff that she will have to relearn in High School then again in College.
                          At her age the physical skills she would learn in Judo would server her better, the social skills she would learn in Judo also would serve her better.

That being said in the grand scheme of things of course learning trade skills is going to be better, but for the time being, the stuff learned in Judo probably helps them out more.
                          I know a lot of managers that prefer to hire college athletes for a lot of reasons, many of which turn out to be valid.

Both points of view have their truths, don't they...

Comment

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
                            I know a lot of managers that prefer to hire college athletes for a lot of reasons, many of which turn out to be valid.

Both points of view have their truths, don't they...
                            I think, in our current academic environment kids should be expected to do what is expected of them. There is merit in having kids go through all the silly rigmarole.
                            That being said I would love for the educational system to make a shift away from the way they do things and reintroduce more play time.
                            A lot more learning through play.
                            Especially at the earlier ages.
                            I would like the to spend a lot more time on physical education and to treat PE like an important class.
                            I would like for them to spend less time on facts and more time on skills.
                            So say learning to do basic cooking would be a good thing, basic gardening, and other skills that are just plain useful.
                            and of course Judo.
                            Every kid should do Judo.

Comment

either or again ?

It's about the right balance. They are not mutually exclusive.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X