Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm New ...Greetings

Greetings Gents,

Hope this post is in the right place. Mods ... feel free to move and advise me if it is not. New to the Forum even
    though I joined a few years ago. I had a lot of trouble with resetting my password. I will try to have more skill
    with MA than electronics.

I'm probably older than most here. I lived in NYC until a few years ago and now spend most of my time in sunny
    Arizona. I was an original student of Peter Urban (Goju Karate). Also spent a few years with Charles Nelson at his
    infamous NYC School of Street Fighting where I met the likes of Carl Cesteri and Damian Ross. After that I did some
    informal training (neighborhood friends) in Judo, kenpo and Kung Fu (students of Alan Lee) and (Higashi).

I'm still active with Aikido and training with a nidan here in AZ.

I look forward to being a part of this forum and contributing where I can.

Thanks for having me.

I'm New ...Greetings

Hello Gents & Ladies:

I joined here a while back but have mostly read.

My background is varied. I have studied Karate, Kung Fu and Military Combatives.

I also have some experience in western boxing and wrestling. I have informal training in Judo and Aikido from friends
    who hold Dan ranking in same.

I lived most of my life in NYC. I retired a few years back and spend considerable time in AZ.

A lot of what I studied had to do with accessibility. But, NYC has a lot of good instruction available. I am still interested in MA
    as a lifestyle ... It has also saved my life on several occasions.

I look forward to contributing in the future.
    Thanks for having me.

Comment

I'm New ...Greetings

Hello Gents & Ladies:

I joined here a while back but have mostly read rather than post.

My background is varied. I have studied Karate, Kung Fu and Military Combatives.

I also have some experience in western boxing and wrestling. I have informal training in Judo and Aikido from friends
      who hold Dan ranking in same.

I lived most of my life in NYC. I retired a few years back and spend considerable time in AZ.

A lot of what I studied had to do with accessibility. But, NYC has a lot of good instruction available. I am still interested in MA
      as a lifestyle ... It has also saved my life on several occasions and the exercise is unparalleled.

I look forward to contributing in the future.
      Thanks for having me.

Comment

I'm New ...Greetings

Hello:

I'm not doing something right cause this is my third attempt at posting in Newbietown.

I'm going to abbreviate this as I'm getting tired of listening to myself.

Started M.A. young (about twelve years old) in a P.A.L. club (box and wrestle).

Got into karate in college in NYC. One of Peter Urban's original students. I made Sho Dan.

After that I tried to find good instruction near where I worked. NY has good instruction in whatever you can imagine.
        I imagined Miyama ryu Jujitsu, and Northern Shaolin Kung Fu. I did a few years or more each.

Some Judo and Aikido at the "Y" and with friends who had rank.

I'm retired and consider this a lifestyle. Spend a lot of time in AZ at present.

Thanks for having me.

Comment

Hello, Streetcat. Welcome to Bullshido. Apologies for the delayed reaction in getting your post approved. We have a probationary period for new posters, as an effort to combat forum spam.
          Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Enjoy your stay!

Comment

what years did you train under higashi sensei?
              "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
              "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
              "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
              "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido.

Comment

[QUOTE=Streetcat;2886548]
                  I'm probably older than most here.[QUOTE]

All I am going to say on that is you would be surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                    All I am going to say on that is you would be surprised.
                    ...some of these people are ancient, brittle, and lost their zest for life many many many moons ago.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome !

Sorry about the multiple posts but I thought something was wrong.
                      As you can see, I am nothing if persistent.

In answer to your question, my involvement with the Buddhist Academy took place maybe late 60"s early 70's.

I was never a direct student of Sensei Higashi although I made his acquaintance and took some instruction from him.

I was a Karate student and one of my neighborhood friends (who was Japanese) worked out at the Buddhist Academy.
                      This friend's father was reportedly a high level Judoka but declined to rank his son. Higashi did, and as I recall my friend was fairly high up.

We were both in our twenties and decided to have a friendly match in Riverside Park. I was really impressed because he was "FAST".

I got hit with a foot sweep and a throw...hit the ground both times. So, I said "you got to show me this stuff".

I hit him too but we were not going full tilt.

I went to the Dojo and I remember I got a serious speech about how Judo was for personal development and not to hurt anyone. I was impressed as it was clear they meant it.

Unfortunately, at the time, old NY was nuts and I was more concerned with fighting off armed muggers that didn't care about my personal development.
                      So, I stayed and trained for a period and then soldiered on. However, as I recall, this is a very good place to train.

Just curious where do you train these days ? I miss NY (especially the abuse)but I'm coming back to visit.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X