Whole Body Cryotherapy BS or useful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    When I was in middle school I sold sugar cubes as lsd at a school dance...... the thing was they were just sugar cubes. The little dummies were staring at their hands and acting high because they were supposed to.

Spoiler alert: I was a bad kid.
    I've also witnessed placebo psychedelia.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
      I severely pulled my groin at Judo years ago. I heard the muscle tear, sounds kinda like a ripping sheet. Fortunately, it wasn't a full tear. Maybe just a very severe "pull".

In any case, I was out for weeks. Turned black and blue from my left knee up to and including my, um, shall we say, private parts.

I went to the ER (where my now ex-wife was on call, LOL), was told I'd survive (essentially that nothing was really totally ripped up), got some Norco and sent home. Ice had no effect I could tell, but the Norco and later Ibuprofen was nice. In fact, a Norco plus a beer made me feel a lot better, LOL!
      Lol ER visits are always interesting! It's good to hear from another martial artist as it's mainly been footballers telling about their experience. Ive been banging my fair share of Ibuprofen into as well.

It's going on 2 weeks now and I'm still afraid to agrivate it. Did you notice much improvement after that amount of time in your case?

I couldn't train that whole week going up to the comp obviously , and it was painful even stretching before weigh inns. Summer promotions are this Saturday, so I'd like to be able to make that day. I still managed to get gold while injured and at a weight disadvantage, so hopefully that proves my technique has improved this last year, but now sucks ass as it looks like I'll be out of commission for a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ulsteryank View Post
        Lol ER visits are always interesting! It's good to hear from another martial artist as it's mainly been footballers telling about their experience. Ive been banging my fair share of Ibuprofen into as well.

It's going on 2 weeks now and I'm still afraid to agrivate it. Did you notice much improvement after that amount of time in your case?

I couldn't train that whole week going up to the comp obviously , and it was painful even stretching before weigh inns. Summer promotions are this Saturday, so I'd like to be able to make that day. I still managed to get gold while injured and at a weight disadvantage, so hopefully that proves my technique has improved this last year, but now sucks ass as it looks like I'll be out of commission for a bit.
        It may placebo but I like Epson salt soaks.

Comment

The funny thing was, my ex was doing her family medicine residency. I came in with a groin pull and the head ER doc right away was making jokes about her pulling my groin having sex with me before she got to work, and that the judo practice was just cover for domestic abuse...

My recovery was several weeks, but it was a pretty severe pull. I had to go back to training very gradually. Realize I was in my 40s when it happened, too.

I've got permanent injury in one spot. Doesn't hurt and isn't tight, but you can tell that something structural was damaged pretty badly in my inguinal area.

Comment

Originally posted by ChenPengFi View Post
            You knew what you were getting and when, so the question is would you have felt relief if you got a placebo?
            Or if you didn't know when or what you were getting?

Closest to a scratched cornea I've had was an unknown insect that flew into my eye while on my bike.
            It immediately secreted something VERY painful.
            I almost crashed and died, lol...
            Must have looked pretty funny rolling on the ground, tearing up and rubbing my eye.

My eyes have years of sun, salt spray and wind exposure too.
            Surfing kills your eyeballs.
            No fun...
            I have this in both eyes: http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/pterygium-surfers-eye

Sure, but not to the extent seen in such studies.
            No response across the board is pretty impressive.
            I suggest you change your avatar photo to:

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
              I suggest you change your avatar photo to:

Hahaha, nice.
              Mine aren't that bad (yet) but they can get pretty covered up.

Comment

My dad's a daily surfer. His eyes are fine but hos hearing is fucked and he says its surfing related.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
                  My dad's a daily surfer. His eyes are fine but hos hearing is fucked and he says its surfing related.

Yikes, "bony extoses" ie "Surfer's ear".
                  That sucks.
                  They drill that shit.

Comment

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...edium=facebook

Interesting note that Narcotic painkillers might prolong pain in rats.

Comment

Yikes, "bony extoses" ie "Surfer's ear".
                      That sucks.
                      They drill that shit.
                      Yeah, one of his ears is drilled.

Comment

Whole body cryotherapy doesn't do much of anything, particularly beyond the first centimeter or two of tissue depth. There is a good amount of research data on this now. Ice can help, but one must consider when to use it and when not to. For deep muscle issues, it isn't going to do much anyway, but for surface issues, it might. However, that does not mean it should always be used. The inflammatory process is important to healing, and interrupting it is typically not a good idea. If one has chronic inflammation such as tendonitis, then getting rid of that inflammation is a pretty good plan. If one has acute inflammation from DOMS, then the best option the majority of the time is to let it run its course.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Blows my mind how it's implicated even with opiates.
                          Let's get rich selling fake opiates to junkies! What could go wrong?

Comment

I hope you got this sorted out already, but if not - go get an MRI. I had a similar experience that my GP told me was a pulled groin, and it ended up being a labral tear and nasty tear in... I forget if it was the iliofemoral ligament or the transverse ligament. Anyway, it required surgery and 6 months off of training. Get that looked at ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
                              Let's get rich selling fake opiates to junkies! What could go wrong?

I think the worst would be getting sent to jail.
                              They would make an interesting study arm on the other hand.

Comment

Using cold as a temporary analgesic is ok.
                                I don't think there's any evidence to suggest it speeds healing, that goes against most of what we know physiologically speaking.

Gary Reinl's book is a good read.

http://www.amazon.com/ICED-Illusiona.../dp/0989831914

A few choice quotes:

"After forty years of widespread use, there is no peer-reviewed, indisputable published evidence (indexed on PubMed) that the use of ice improves the recovery process."

"Icing does not reduce swelling. In fact, getting "iced" often increases the amount of fluid in the damaged area by creating a backflow from the lymphatic vessels."

"Delaying the healing process is always the result of icing regardless of the intent."

"As ice made its way to therapy centers, the word quickly got out. And, since ice is easy to use, inexpensive, readily available, and, unlike most every other injury response method, can be administered by anyone--as no special training or certification is needed--it was able to rapidly spread."
                                Wow. And goddammit.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X