Whole Body Cryotherapy BS or useful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole Body Cryotherapy BS or useful?

I saw this um I guess lets say advertisement pop up on my facebook feed.

Comparing Cryotherapy to ice bath.

http://www.subzerorecoverysd.com/cryotherapysandiego/

One of the things I have heard about ice baths not mentioned is that they help reduce swelling in microtears thus allowing much faster recuperation of muscle tissue.

Anyone know if that is even true, and would Cryotherapy do the same thing at all?

Is it all just a bunch of bullshit?

Fads come and go.
    There is nothing wrong with a healthy dose of skepticism...
    Just because top celebrities and athletes freeze their nuts to follow the latest fad
    does not make it more useful or less useful.
    On a related note, at some point in your life, a friend or colleague of yours will try to convince you
    that you need a high colonic enema.
    The correct response to that suggestion is: "no thank you".

Comment

Using cold as a temporary analgesic is ok.
      I don't think there's any evidence to suggest it speeds healing, that goes against most of what we know physiologically speaking.

Gary Reinl's book is a good read.

http://www.amazon.com/ICED-Illusiona.../dp/0989831914

A few choice quotes:

"After forty years of widespread use, there is no peer-reviewed, indisputable published evidence (indexed on PubMed) that the use of ice improves the recovery process."

"Icing does not reduce swelling. In fact, getting "iced" often increases the amount of fluid in the damaged area by creating a backflow from the lymphatic vessels."

"Delaying the healing process is always the result of icing regardless of the intent."

"As ice made its way to therapy centers, the word quickly got out. And, since ice is easy to use, inexpensive, readily available, and, unlike most every other injury response method, can be administered by anyone--as no special training or certification is needed--it was able to rapidly spread."

Comment

Originally posted by ChenPengFi View Post
        Using cold as a temporary analgesic is ok.
        I don't think there's any evidence to suggest it speeds healing, that goes against most of what we know physiologically speaking.

Gary Reinl's book is a good read.

http://www.amazon.com/ICED-Illusiona.../dp/0989831914

A few choice quotes:

"After forty years of widespread use, there is no peer-reviewed, indisputable published evidence (indexed on PubMed) that the use of ice improves the recovery process."

"Icing does not reduce swelling. In fact, getting "iced" often increases the amount of fluid in the damaged area by creating a backflow from the lymphatic vessels."

"Delaying the healing process is always the result of icing regardless of the intent."

"As ice made its way to therapy centers, the word quickly got out. And, since ice is easy to use, inexpensive, readily available, and, unlike most every other injury response method, can be administered by anyone--as no special training or certification is needed--it was able to rapidly spread."
        It's hard for me to give up the RICE protocol after using it for 30 years, though.
        Old habits, and our comfort from them, are difficult to change.
        I still use RICE.

Comment

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
          It's hard for me to give up the RICE protocol after using it for 30 years, though.
          Old habits, and our comfort from them, are difficult to change.
          I still use RICE.

Well, you're an old fart...
          Ice does soothe aches and pains.

Paleo is all the rage now, so there's MEAT for those folks.
          Ie Movement, Exercise, Analgesics, Treatment.

LEOs? POLICE obviously.
          Protection, Optimal Loading, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

The budget conscious folks are using PRICE.
          Protection, Rest, Ice, Compresion, Elevation.

I think I'll start to promote my own, SALAD.
          Suck it up, Adapt, Learn, Apply, Deliver.
          $$$!

Comment

I haven't done the air cryotherapy thing, but am currently using a cryospa. I just pulled my groin 5 days before a BJJ comp. Being a stubborn bastard I competed injured anyway, and being desperate for anything started going to the cryospa the days leading up to it.

Now just wanting to heal up and get back to training as quick as possible, I decided to go back. I don't know if it's a placebo thing in my head or not, but I notice a huge difference with it minimising the pain greatly. As far as healing, I've never injured my groin before this, so don't know the general timespan, but after a week I've only noticed slight improvement, so wouldnt know if that's normal without the ice baths or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ulsteryank View Post
              I haven't done the air cryotherapy thing, but am currently using a cryospa. I just pulled my groin 5 days before a BJJ comp. Being a stubborn bastard I competed injured anyway, and being desperate for anything started going to the cryospa the days leading up to it.

Now just wanting to heal up and get back to training as quick as possible, I decided to go back. I don't know if it's a placebo thing in my head or not, but I notice a huge difference with it minimising the pain greatly. As far as healing, I've never injured my groin before this, so don't know the general timespan, but after a week I've only noticed slight improvement, so wouldnt know if that's normal without the ice baths or not.
              Was there any bruising?

Comment

Was there any bruising?
                Very very slight. So slight it was hard to tell if it was actually there, or if I was imagining. The only thing that worried me was I felt and heard a pop when it happened. Was able to finish the roll (just happened to be the last roll of the night I was supposed to sit out for!), but could barely walk up my steps when I got home.

Comment

You could try some heat on it and gently working your range of motion, preferably not too close to training time.

If you're overzealous about returning to activity (or your rehab for that matter) you're at risk of developing a more serious injury.

Comment

You could try some heat on it and gently working your range of motion, preferably not too close to training time.

If you're overzealous about returning to activity (or your rehab for that matter) you're at risk of developing a more serious injury.
                    Thanks, I haven't tried applying heat yet, so I'll definitely try giving that a go for sure...that's exactly what I'd like to avoid too. I last trainined Thursday and for only light pad work(boxing only)and even noticed then I had to be static on my feet and couldn't put much of my hips into anything, so am taking this week off.

While we're at it, does white vinegar actually help this sort of thing, or is it another wives' tale without much scientific backing? Because of advice from a training partner, I actually went into work with vinegar soaked boxers!

Comment

Thanks, I haven't tried applying heat yet, so I'll definitely try giving that a go for sure...that's exactly what I'd like to avoid too. I last trainined Thursday and for only light pad work(boxing only)and even noticed then I had to be static on my feet and couldn't put much of my hips into anything, so am taking this week off.

While we're at it, does white vinegar actually help this sort of thing, or is it another wives' tale without much scientific backing? Because of advice from a training partner, I actually went into work with vinegar soaked boxers!

I like your training partner.
                      I doubt that will help but please tell me you work in an office or something.

PS The secret is to add Ben Gay or similar to the vinegar.
                      Slather your nuts liberally!

Comment

Lol! No mostly outdoors, but a workmate did comment on the work van smelling like a chip shop.

I knew there could be a chance he could be having me on with that advice, but like I said, it was desperate times!

Comment

I'd guess that whole body cryotherapy is far more useful for reducing pain temporarily than it is for accelerating healing.

Comment

Lets say opposed to "healing" of an injury, would this be helpful at all for exercise recovery?

Comment

I severely pulled my groin at Judo years ago. I heard the muscle tear, sounds kinda like a ripping sheet. Fortunately, it wasn't a full tear. Maybe just a very severe "pull".

In any case, I was out for weeks. Turned black and blue from my left knee up to and including my, um, shall we say, private parts.

I went to the ER (where my now ex-wife was on call, LOL), was told I'd survive (essentially that nothing was really totally ripped up), got some Norco and sent home. Ice had no effect I could tell, but the Norco and later Ibuprofen was nice. In fact, a Norco plus a beer made me feel a lot better, LOL!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X