7 Things your Training partners hate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    The list of things I don't know is very long.
    One of my Internet detractors once claimed my BJJ teacher described me as "dedicated but not particularly talented".
    I thought that sounded about right, actually, whether or not my teacher ever said it.
    It's all in good fun, Devil.
    A good beginner rather than a poor expert.

I get that a bit.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
      I'm sure she is a wonderful child, Rayce.
      I pretty sure she is gonna be around 5"10. I tried to talk her into volleyball. she played a bit but didn't like it. I was hoping for a scholarship..... but no dice. Not a lot of Jiu-Jitsu college scholarships floating around.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
        I watched an interview with Vlad K. And he said there was actually more sambo in the USA during the cold war. I don't know why but that's what he says.
        I really like the Sambo style of throws because so
        many bjj guys are wrestlers. the Sambo guys have worked out nice judo-esque counters that are a different look than they are use to from wrestling. If there was a sambo school close I would attend for my stand up grappling.
        I reached out to Prof Vlad Koulikov and asked him to expand on his thoughts from that interview. Here is his response:
        "In the seventies and early eighties sambo was represented by FILA as third style of international wrestling alongside Greco and freestyle.
        So AAU was involved.
        Sambo grassroots were never existing but a lot of athletes from wrestling and judo were participating in national and international events (Pan Ams and worlds).
        Some ppl even placed and took gold (Barry Gibson, Mark Tripp and Becky Scott. All golds in worlds).
        I am pretty sure Ronda's mom placed or won Pan Ams.
        With the break up of Soviet Union and subsequent instability of Russia sambo suffered and declined as well causing ripple effect everywhere including USA."
        This is congruent with my recollection from Wrestling in the 1980's.
        Sambo was considered another branch of wrestling with a different uniform,
        where we told that Russian wrestlers would "try to rip your legs off".
        Several of our Wrestling coaches during the 1980's cross competed in Sambo as part of their Wrestling activities.

Comment

I pretty sure she is gonna be around 5"10. I tried to talk her into volleyball. she played a bit but didn't like it. I was hoping for a scholarship..... but no dice. Not a lot of Jiu-Jitsu college scholarships floating around.
          Nope, even fewer than for Judo in college...

Basketball ? How about wrestling, women's collegiate wrestling is taking off, bit time.
          Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

One of my judo students is a 14 year old young woman who is approaching 5'10". Her mom, an RN, says she is on the growth curve to be over 6'. I've known her since she was maybe 7 years old. Now she is taller than me, LOL, but of course, that's not tough to do.
            Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

More of this
              https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/6-type...cult-students/
              Well not that you hate to roll with more that you hate to coach.
              But I am not a fan of rolling with people that are hard to coach either.

Comment

That being said I am certainly the 5) the Two Left Feet

Comment

I know it's already been said, but man do I hate rolling with people who go all-out during rolling, relentlessly hunting for a sub and cranking it in the process. A couple years back I got caught in a kimura by someone like that and he yanked it so hard that the injury still flares up. I actually didn't go to the gym at all last week, because the Tuesday of the week before the injury reactivated. It wasn't even in class, either, I just slept on it wrong and I woke up feeling it that morning. Went to class anyway and it didn't feel much worse, but the next morning I went to class again and my neck/left shoulder were all fucked up afterward.

Other than that and hygiene (including keeping fingernails and toenails trimmed), there aren't too many annoyances that I have. I do find it a bit silly when a student tries to coach me, but it's not too hard to brush off.

Also, if goodlun has two left feet then I have a left foot and a left hand where the other foot should be.

Comment

Some good stuff in here on the different types of BJJ training

http://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-news/ji...aining-systems

Despite the obvious issues, I do like Lloyd Irvin's way of doing things.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X