Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 Things your Training partners hate

https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/7-thin...partners-hate/

I don't agree with the Heel Hooks thing well I do the whole cranking away thing but that could literally be said for any other sub as well.

I would also add to the list:
    Partners that don't ever try anything new.
    Partners that don't work on the lesson of the day even when given plenty of opportunity.
    Partners that treat every roll like its life and death.
    Partners that never roll hard.
    Partners that don't understand that rolling is for learning.

I don't really agree with anything on TFA's list.

The thing I really hate is when people keep trying to muscle the submission in, after it should have been pretty obvious it's not going to work.

After that, poor personal hygiene would be my next pet peeve.
    Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
      Most of them are minor annoyances
      Some of the complaints are just bitch complaints.
      Such as complaints 1,2, 4 & 5
      The last two complaints I agree with.
      All and all though I think one of my biggest complaints would be this

While rolling if you don't have the submission move the fuck on.
      No I don't mean if you can work your magic into getting it, I mean if your in a stalemate sort of situation don't sit there for the next 10 mins working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
        https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/7-thin...partners-hate/

I don't agree with the Heel Hooks thing well I do the whole cranking away thing but that could literally be said for any other sub as well.

It depends on the school and/or the training partner. I always refrain from Heel Hooks until they try it on me first or we agree to it before hand. I would agree dropping into a Heel Hook at a BJJ school that you are unfamiliar with a partner you are unfamiliar with is a good way to escalate the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post

The thing I really hate is when people keep trying to muscle the submission in, after it should have been pretty obvious it's not going to work.

After that, poor personal hygiene would be my next pet peeve.
          If the submission is not in, then escape, they aren't obligated to let you go.

As for the list:

Grabbing fingers Grabbing all 4 Fingers is ok and legal, anything less, I am going to be upset.
          Grinding fists / wrist bones across the mouth and teeth I wear a mouthguard for this reason, didn't bother me, it's part of the game
          Heel hooks Doesn't bother me, I am more afraid of people ripping Kimura than Heel Hook.
          Scratching / grabbing the skin through the gi and pinching Cut your fucking Nails, but skin grabs grabs all the time through the Gi, it happens.
          Kicking when bodies collide A good guard players bring people into them, a shitty guard player kicks you away. If you kick me away during a scramble I know you are afraid of me and you aren't very good. I will use that the rest of the round.
          “Let’s Go Easy Guy” I always match the intensity of the person I roll with, doesn't matter what they say.
          Unwanted coaching I just ignore it and up the pace of the roll.

Comment

Originally posted by plasma View Post
            Grabbing fingers Grabbing all 4 Fingers is ok and legal, anything less, I am going to be upset.
            Many people are surprised to learn that under IBJJF rules,
            it is legal to grab even one finger,
            So long as the person grabbing the finger does not attempt to bend it dangerously, twist it dangerously, nor attempt to cause a submission by putting pressure on that finger.
            And to Plasma's other point, in freestyle, folkstyle, scholastic, greco roman wrestling, and most submission wrestling, grabbing all four fingers is not only legal, but often a best practice.

Comment

Things I don't like:

People who complaint for everything.

People who suck at basics but try to pull crazy shit they watch in youtube,

Comment

My biggest pet hate with anything involving 2 people physically is hygene. Its not hard yet people fuck it up.

One dude who sometimes i roll will smells, i cant tell if its BO or an unwashed gi.

Wtf is with people doing bjj for less than 3 months and taping fingers/finger joints

Comment

My biggest pet peeve is when the community behaves in a low manner.
                  My second pet peeve is when people try to look like and emulate the dress/mannerisms/personal preferences of the celebrity figures in the sport as if it would make them better.
                  Eat all the acai you want, mutilate your ears, adopt someone else's accent or look,
                  but none of that will make you better.
                  Only meaningful practice will make you improve.
                  The mats don't care about accents, nationalities, marketing stories, or any of that other bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
                    My second pet peeve is when people try to look like and emulate the dress/mannerisms/personal preferences of the celebrity figures in the sport as if it would make them better.
                    Eat all the acai you want, mutilate your ears, adopt someone else's accent or look,
                    but none of that will make you better.
                    Only meaningful practice will make you improve.
                    The mats don't care about accents, nationalities, marketing stories, or any of that other bullshit.
                    Bro, whatta you know about zhewzhits? Half you even been to Braseawl?

Comment

I hate when the White belts Miss spots when they wash my car. It's like they never want to be promoted.
                      2. I hate when BJJ guys fight/get in a staring contest at kickboxing range when they can't kick box. Get in there, Get hit and clench up.In the words of the great poet Tupac," If your scared go to church. I know it hurts."

3.I hate when blue belts bring me my Starbucks and it's Pikes roast instead of the f****** Komodo roast like I told them. It's like... I don't want to take Stripes away but they force my f****** hand.

4. I hate when the phrase "it doesn't work" is applied to a technique that is a proven good technique. "It" works at a championship level, "you" don't work at the moment. Understanding that is the key to making "it" successful.

Comment

Originally posted by Devil View Post
                        Bro, whatta you know about zhewzhits? Half you even been to Braseawl?
                        The people who pedestal Asian martial arts over western martial arts are just as funny / annoying.

Or who pedestal one form of grappling as best or one form of striking as best.

Comment

I think a lot of it comes down to, not understanding that your rolling partners are a part of your team.
                          That they are your best resource to being better.

Comment

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
                            The people who pedestal Asian martial arts over western martial arts are just as funny / annoying.

Or who pedestal one form of grappling as best or one form of striking as best.
                            Anyone that says bjj as a whole doesn't have the highest level ground work is being delusional.

Anyone that says freestyle wrestling as a whole doesn't have the best no gi takedowns is being delusional.

Anyone that says judo as a whole doesn't have the best Gi throws is being delusional.

Anyone that says sambo as a whole doesn't have the best blend of freestyle wrestling and Judo throws is being delusional.

There's a lot money being paid by the sheik in the ADCC and it is dominated by bjj. In a submission only format bjj consistently comes out on top and has changed how all sub grappling arts train.

Bjj= best submission grapplers as a whole.

In a mma match or grappling match where being on top can score you points and get a decision than the pins of the other grappling arts become viable as well.
                            Pretending every style is equal is just as crazy as pretending only one style is useful.

The rules of competition and the theory of combat dictate style.

If all matches were fought on concrete throwing becomes much more viable but then again so does pulling guard safely if you feel they are a better thrower and you are a better ground technician. As it sits BJJists are encouraged to submit while all the other arts are encouraged to throw and pin. There's nothing wrong with pointing out which is generally better than the other at different aspects.Plus almost everyone double majors now days.

Also K1 had to keep changing the rules because the Muay Thai guys were raping everyone else.
                            Last edited by Raycetpfl; 5/10/2016 9:38am, .

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                              Anyone that says bjj as a whole doesn't have the highest level ground work is being delusional.
                              I would recommend that you go to Japan and spend some time rolling with the Japanese submission wrestlers.

I would also recommend that you take some time to go roll with some International competition grade Sambo players.

And, I would recommend that you roll with some Olympic level Judoka that have real Olympic level Judo Submission and newaza skills.

This might change your own perspective.

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                              There's a lot money being paid by the sheik in the ADCC and it is dominated by bjj. In a submission only format bjj consistently comes out on top and has changed how all sub grappling arts train.

Bjj= best submission grapplers as a whole.
                              You make a good point that the ADCC is dominated not just by Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu but also really by Brazilians.

The Sheik is good friends with many Brazilians.

Remember the golden rule.

All that being said, there are course some excellent Submission Grapplers that have come from BJJ backgrounds.

I think the Sambo players, Catch Wrestlers, and Luta Livre players hold up just as well in submission grappling tournaments.

Even 10th planet cannot be said to be standard BJJ and certainly not GJJ, and they do just as well as anybody too.

BJJ has gained leaps and bounds in marketshare over Sambo, Catch Wrestling, and Luta Livre.

BJJ has, in conjunction with that momentum, a huge and well oiled marketing machine and marketing history since UFC on.

So, there are more BJJ players than Sambo, Catch, and Luta Livre players now.

Do I think that any brand of armlock, choke, leg lock, turn over etc is best for any prolonged period? Not really.

Rules change, uniforms change, brands change, people change.

But grappling is grappling, there are only so many moves one human can do to another.

So, I love grappling, I practice in a couple rulesets, have competed in a couple rulesets, coach people for a couple rulesets.

Do I think one brand or ruleset is superior? Nah.

Unless we take the position of eliminating as many rules as possible, or we take the position of competing in as many rulesets as possible - both approaches would test the robustness of our repertoire.

By the way, for leg on leg kickboxing, Japan (Kyokushin Karate) and Thailand, and for that matter the Dutch and Thailand have had some pretty impressive rivalries. They all have minor stylistic and philosophical differences, but they all will kick your damn leg off if you step in the ring with them.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X