Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I've Got A Strong Core"

Anyone else get ruffled by this?

Having a strong core is great but it's no good if everything else is weak, kinda like having a strong table with legs which break as soon as you put anything on it.

Strange how the only strong muscle group they have just happens to be the only one not visible by looking at them.

They have no idea how well they can plank or crunch weighted because they have some kind of iron phobia, they don't do heavy sparring so they have no idea whether they can take a punch, the only "evidence" they are willing to present is a claim that they can plank for a couple of minutes with their 135lb ass which is more of a measure of endurance than strength.

When questioned these people can rarely if ever even explain the structure of the core muscles.

It seems "I've got a strong core" is almost always codeword for "I have weak legs, back, chest and arms".

It's fashionable that's all. If it were another muscle group you'd see the same thing. I get annoyed by people getting all in love with themselves just because they squat.

Comment

I agree; all shows of strength should be Hulkamania style arm flexes accompanied by python diameter stats.

Comment

I always thought core strength meant you were strong in proportionate to your body. Im pretty strong for my size and can do chin ups easily where ive seen guys who can bench 6 times more than i can and struggle to even do a chin up. But i will never claim my strength is from the core or whatever. My job requires alot of hands on work and lifting so im not building anything but improving what i have.

People who train teh core and who are trying to invalidate the workouts others do is stupid. the more i think of it, it sounds like something a chunner would belive (core strength>strong limbs/muscle groups).

Comment

I've always looked at it as a kind of theoretical tree, if your trunk is big and strong, you can build bigger and stronger branches. You can hang off a big branch on a big tree, but you will break a big branch on a small tree and definitely snap a small branch on a big tree.

I'm all about crappy analogies.
          GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
          Originally posted by Devil
          I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
          Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
          I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

Originally posted by battlefields View Post
            I've always looked at it as a kind of theoretical tree, if your trunk is big and strong, you can build bigger and stronger branches. You can hang off a big branch on a big tree, but you will break a big branch on a small tree and definitely snap a small branch on a big tree.

It's a good analogy but using this analogy a tree with big strong branches must have a strong trunk. If you build considerable strength through raw compound lifts you're not going to have a weak core. It could still be a limiting factor and may be worth supplementing extra core work but it's still going to be stronger than someone who built their core doing Yoga or WC.

My issue is that the "strong core" people have never measured their strength in a meaningful way they've just been told their training is good for core strength and take it on faith like martial artists who never spar but think they're tougher than MMA fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by battlefields View Post

This reminds me of what my dad used to say, " If you fall out of that tree and break both of your legs don't come running to me. Now go get me a beer."
              The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Comment

People say stupid shit about strength and conditioning.

One of the biggest ones that always irritated me was when people talked like Cain Velasquez was invincible because of his fucking cardio. Oh really?

Cardio is a good thing. The problem though, was that there has never been a whole lot of evidence to support the idea that Cain Velasquez has superhuman cardio. When people were talking this shit the most, he had only had one three round fight. The rest had ended by the second. The vast majority ended in the first. So where did this idea come from?

But more importantly, the last time I checked you can't knock people out with your cardio. You can't finish a double leg with your cardio. Cardio doesn't increase the precision of your strikes. Cardio is one factor among many.

Anyway, "I've got a strong core?" Yeah, whatever bro.

Comment

Originally posted by Devil View Post
                  People say stupid shit about strength and conditioning.

One of the biggest ones that always irritated me was when people talked like Cain Velasquez was invincible because of his fucking cardio. Oh really?

Cardio is a good thing. The problem though, was that there has never been a whole lot of evidence to support the idea that Cain Velasquez has superhuman cardio. When people were talking this shit the most, he had only had one three round fight. The rest had ended by the second. The vast majority ended in the first. So where did this idea come from?

But more importantly, the last time I checked you can't knock people out with your cardio. You can't finish a double leg with your cardio. Cardio doesn't increase the precision of your strikes. Cardio is one factor among many.

Anyway, "I've got a strong core?" Yeah, whatever bro.
                  Cain's output is crazy high for a guy his size and he doesn't slow down much...... unless he is getting shit kicked by Werdum.

Ironically....VerDoom's nickname"vai Cavalo" translates to "Go Horse". He doesn't really get tired easy either.
                  The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                    Cain's output is crazy high for a guy his size and he doesn't slow down much...... unless he is getting shit kicked by Werdum.

Ironically....VerDoom's nickname"vai Cavalo" translates to "Go Horse". He doesn't really get tired easy either.
                    It's a factor. Everything is a factor. I just reject the notion that it's some magical trump card that he carries around in his back pocket. Especially with gigantic monsters in the Heavyweight division just waiting to clean your clock in an instant.

Comment

Without cardio you can't finish that double leg and your precision goes out the door because you're too busy sucking wind. Good cardio allows me to concentrate on my technique in training and supports me during fights. I agree it's not the only thing but a lot of people who don't train it don't realize what they're missing. We see this question about kendo all the time in other forums: "I'm starting classes in X weeks/months, what can I do to prepare?" They are expecting to be referred to some resource on basic technique or Japanese etiquette or something, but my answer is always go train cardio.

Comment

Originally posted by NeilG View Post
                        Without cardio you can't finish that double leg and your precision goes out the door because you're too busy sucking wind. Good cardio allows me to concentrate on my technique in training and supports me during fights. I agree it's not the only thing but a lot of people who don't train it don't realize what they're missing. We see this question about kendo all the time in other forums: "I'm starting classes in X weeks/months, what can I do to prepare?" They are expecting to be referred to some resource on basic technique or Japanese etiquette or something, but my answer is always go train cardio.
                        So 4 kids from our club got back from the Canmore Interprovincial Training Camp this Monday. They were tired looking but otherwise OK. I asked how it went, and what they did. Lots of physical training, including interval training (sprint/jog/walk intervals), then other fun stuff mostly involving carrying other people around in various fashions. Then technical training, which is kind of backwards, but whatever.

I asked how they did. None of them fell out, however quite few kids were puking during or shortly after one set of intervals. Apparently not training anywhere near that sort of intensity.

No cardio base, nothing else will go well, however, it's just a base
                        Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

This isn't rocket science. If you're huffing and puffing you're going to have a bad time. If you're behind the curve physically in any respect, you're going to have a bad time.

Try to justify the ridiculous Cain Velasquez hype all you want. Nobody gets knocked out by the other guy's cardio.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                            So 4 kids from our club got back from the Canmore Interprovincial Training Camp this Monday. They were tired looking but otherwise OK. I asked how it went, and what they did. Lots of physical training, including interval training (sprint/jog/walk intervals), then other fun stuff mostly involving carrying other people around in various fashions. Then technical training, which is kind of backwards, but whatever.
                            Sounds like Ewan was running the show.

Comment

This isn't rocket science. If you're huffing and puffing you're going to have a bad time. If you're behind the curve physically in any respect, you're going to have a bad time.

Try to justify the ridiculous Cain Velasquez hype all you want. Nobody gets knocked out by the other guy's cardio.
                              They get knocked out by the lack of their own cardio. Mouth open, hands down, chin up and no offensive output.

But the way the ufc/rogan verbally fellatio-ed cain's cardio was ridiculous. Randy couture is one of those weird dudes super marathon types that doesn't produce lactic acid with exercise and it was rarely brough up how great his cardio was.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X