• Time
  • Show
Clear All

UFC 200: I didn't see that coming

So McGregor is apparently retiring...
    http://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/conor...eady-retiring/

... and so too is Nate Diaz
    http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/19/nate-d...-retiring-too/

Wonderful/woeful promotion ploy for UFC200? negotiating tactic? McGregor still having flashbacks of the Stockton Slap?

UFC is good to watch but the fighters get the shit end of the stick. They probably got pissed off with the paycheck to the point of the risk outways the reward. To be fair the fighters fight 2-3 times a year, get put through real hard training then fight where they can get elbowed, kneed, punched, kicked, choked and with the potential of serious injury.

Their pay is pitiful compared to other sports. I dont think any of the fighters do it for the money solely. Id like to think passion for their art and wanting to be number 1 is their main driving force. To make things worse isnt part of their contract they cant fight in other leagues? Pretty shitty if your not making the big bucks.

Comment

McGregor has won the game. Retiring young, rich, and with all of his marbles working.
      I hope he doesn't blow through all the money, like so many fighters do.
      If he does, he'll be back in the ring.
      Frankly, I hope we get to hear all about his successful business empire instead.
      But, If he does comes back, I'll be rooting for him as a fighter.

Comment

Considering his spending habits I'd lay odds on him being broke in a few years. Happens to the majority of pro athletes and he's not shy about wanting to live the good life.

And while McGregor was serious about his tweet, Diaz's was more in jest. Last I read they're still trying to line up another opponent for him at UFC 200.

Comment

I read that White pulled McGregor from UFC 200 for not showing up to a press conference. McGregor countered by just retiring.

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/15...d-retire-young

Comment

Not actually retired. It's most likely a negotiation strategy of some description. A bitchy, pissy and childish negotiation strategy, befitting McGregor's personality.

I sincerely hope he keeps fighting. Not because I don't despise the little faggot, but there's no way he can maintain his current lifestyle as "an independent businessman (lol)" and it would suck to see another high level athlete take a nosedive in life. He needs the UFC way more than it needs him.

Comment

Supposedly the recent death of Joao Carvalho had some affect on his decision to quit fighting as well.

Perfect time for GSP to step in?!

Comment

Originally posted by xstyle View Post
                Supposedly the recent death of Joao Carvalho had some affect on his decision to quit fighting as well.

Perfect time for GSP to step in?!
                Where did that come from?
                I mean he was in Iceland training for his fight and his reason for not attending the press conference was that it would interfere with his fight preparation so im guessing that is just interwebz hear say bullshit.
                King without a crown

Comment

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-...-conor-7791957

Pretty much everything now is just a rumour until we hear from McGregor again.

Comment

"Fans begun to speculate as to the reasons that might have sparked the UFC champion's "retirement" tweet.

Many wondered if the Dubliner had taken the loss harder than previously thought and if that was why he decided to step away from the octagon."
                    King without a crown

Comment

Originally posted by PDA View Post
                      Where did that come from?
                      Speculation by Joe Rogan.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJim520 View Post
                        Speculation by Joe Rogan.
                        Ahh the fountain of speculation itself.
                        King without a crown

Comment

Dana said something about it being about doing the press.
                          This sounds like McGregory trying to push the boundaries of what he can get away with.
                          He is thinking he might be bigger than the UFC, he is about to find out he is not.

Also I am sure seeing that dude die probably gives him an out to fall back on.

Comment

I like Chael's take on it better.

Comment

Diaz ate his soul.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X