Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have no idea where to really, authentically, start training.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no idea where to really, authentically, start training.

I live just outside Pensacola in a little place called Milton. I write seriously as a hobby, am historically oriented, and could gab all day about martial arts theorem. I've attended a few actual martial arts schools in my time and always quit, in part due to sheer lack of motivation, but mostly, due to the sheer piles of bullshit I smell off each place I attend. I don't have a lot of experience, but I can tell when people are wasting time in a gym setting. I won't name specifics, because that's just rude, y'know, but suffice it to say, I've been burned in the past. I'm looking to really get serious in this stuff. I need to center myself, train, and advance who I am -- quit wasting time. I'm primarily interested in jiu jitsu at the moment. The thing is .. I don't know where to start. I'm just too leery. I've read that Gracie Downtown and The Academy of Pensacola (BJJ, MMA, and Judo) all seem to be reviewed well. Any advice on where I should go, in any form, would be appreciated.

Thanks for the listen, folks.

Welcome to Bullshido!

Sorry that I don't have experience in that geography to offer.

Both schools look about the same, to me, including pricing.

The two main differences I notice:

Academy of Pensacola teaches multiple ranges. That may be a consideration, for you.

Gracie Downtown is a Pedro Sauer school, though. If I was just looking for G/BJJ, I would pick Gracie Downtown.

Depending on your goals, and your ability to get to class on time, I would say either could be a good fit.

Best advice: take a trial class at each. Find the group that you gel with best, that isn't too far out of your way, and that meets your goals.
    Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Appreciate the candor.

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
      Welcome to Bullshido!

Sorry that I don't have experience in that geography to offer.

Both schools look about the same, to me, including pricing.

The two main differences I notice:

Academy of Pensacola teaches multiple ranges. That may be a consideration, for you.

Gracie Downtown is a Pedro Sauer school, though. If I was just looking for G/BJJ, I would pick Gracie Downtown.

Depending on your goals, and your ability to get to class on time, I would say either could be a good fit.

Best advice: take a trial class at each. Find the group that you gel with best, that isn't too far out of your way, and that meets your goals.

Thanks, friend. And no worries about a lack of geographical advice; your timely response was very genuine.

Pedro Sauer gives me something to go on and google. I'm a fairly anxiety ridden person in the first place, so maybe a trial class is a good option.

Comment

To be fair, just because the school carries the Sauer name doesn't mean it's any good. The instructors in both of your local schools are "just a plain black belt," and a couple of browns. But, Sauer is one of the highest ranking BJJ guys still alive and practicing:

http://www.bjjheroes.com/tag/bjj-coral-belts
        Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

I've been digging around. Sauer is impressive. You do, however, make an excellent point. I doubt I'll ever see the guy, much less train under him. The Academy there has a more flexible schedule and other things I can do; works really well with my swing shift job. Probably gonna check it out, first.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
          X