MCMAP: does it suck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Villain View Post
    I'm actually moving away from the leg locks as well. I got into martial arts to defend myself. Somewhere I got sidetracked with athletic pursuits, mistaking sports for martial arts. Carlos Gracie Jr and the community's support of his predatory behavior almost snapped me out of it, but getting jumped really woke me up. I was able to defend myself but not as efficiently or effectively as I would've liked. BJJ had taught me fighting spirit, but techniques limited to a very narrow set of circumstances. One man. Unarmed. No obstructions. Time. Clear intentions.

I want to be able to move aggressively through about 300 to 1000 men, coordinate an attack in the middle of all that, with or without a squad, and dominate the situation. I'm not heel hooking dudes or mounting dudes or whatever. I'm throwing dudes into enemies, throwing dudes into allies, throwing dudes into walls, applying standing restraints. I'm moving people into disadvantageous positions that make defense impossible AND that don't compromise my ability to deal with unexpected attackers or weapons. Different ball game entirely for sub grappling, and best I can tell, more useful in bad scenarios, though, I will admit knowing BJJ is EXCELLENT for a good clean street fight.
    Well, I am going a different direction.
    I am going to get progressively more out of shape,
    keep drinking booze,
    practice my firearms more,
    and start prioritizing my wife's directives and agenda more.
    I might start gardening.
    My wife said that we are going to be going out on dates more,
    and not all of them can be preceded by going to the shooting range together.
    Let's both report back on our respective progress to goals every once a while.

Comment

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
      See Ben, what you need is a little Gracie University.

If only I had an affiliate account, I would send you a link.

In all seriousness, I suspect their online program is a time capsule of Helio's core curriculum.
      They changed a bit but yeah its their take on it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Villain View Post
        BJJ had taught me fighting spirit, but techniques limited to a very narrow set of circumstances. One man. Unarmed. No obstructions. Time. Clear intentions.
        My teachers are better than yours.
        No time limits , multiple attackers, weapons disarms, how to work security. And they didn't rape chick's or try and fuck me out of my belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
          No time limits , multiple attackers, weapons disarms, how to work security. And they didn't rape chick's or try and fuck me out of my belt.
          Mean, cocky, but funny. You're even breaking balls better since getting your black belt.

Comment

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
            Mean, cocky, but funny. You're even breaking balls better since getting your black belt.
            oops that was an up vote. Thanks Murphy.

Comment

I seem to recall a quote from one of the fellows who structured the Army's combative program, along the lines of: "Every hand to hand encounter [in military action] is a grappling match; If two people are fighting, and they aren't shooting each other, then there's a reason for that; it's because of one them has their hands on the other."

Comment

Bjj is very relavent. In sport its an entry to a dominant position and or possible win, sport for example is a controlled environment.

War and the streets are an uncontrolled environment. Bjj is still very relavent here. Going to the ground is not advisable but should you find yourself there, i think bjj offers the methods, solutions and skills to help you ESCAPE the ground.

So should grappling be more of a focus? Well it cant hurt to know. Firearms have been used in war for what 300 years? If your using your fists something has gone wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                  Right? I went from one shitty affiliation to another.

Comment

Semper Fu or McCrap. It's pretty awful. Had a "Black Belt" MCMAP "Instructor" come roll with us and was getting housed by all of the white belts.

Comment

Originally posted by MSProductions View Post
                      Semper Fu or McCrap. It's pretty awful. Had a "Black Belt" MCMAP "Instructor" come roll with us and was getting housed by all of the white belts.
                      Can't equate the entirety of the MCMAP program to one person.

Now that they are enforcing MCMAP as a rank requirement, you'll see skill levels dropping. Training and promotions will be rushed to meet timelines, or just straight penciled in.

Some units take it more seriously than others, and provide supplemental training besides the most basic requirements.

Requirements change frequently - last course I went through, black belts were required to have training at a civilian school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X