Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MCMAP: does it suck?

I just watched this video:

I am not impressed. Yes, it looks physically challenging, but the actual grappling looks dire. Am I insane, or is this as shitty as I think it is?

To be fair, they're handicapped by wearing heavy combat boots and utility harnesses and these sparring matches probably take place in the midst of days of extremely grueling endurance exercises; no-one is going to look their best under those circumstances.
    Last edited by DdlR; 4/13/2016 1:56am, .

Comment

Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
      I just watched this video:

I am not impressed. Yes, it looks physically challenging, but the actual grappling looks dire. Am I insane, or is this as shitty as I think it is?
      Yes but to be fair all military combatives do, the SEAL thread kicking about at the moment explains in a bit more detail.

Comment

Originally posted by DdlR View Post
        To be fair, they're handicapped by wearing heavy combat boots and utility harnesses and these sparring matches probably take place in the midst of days of extremely grueling endurance exercises; no-one is going to look their best under those circumstances.
        Yeah, but even the technique choices seem suspect. And these people are supposedly qualifying as instructors. It's like the only sub they know is the armbar, which makes no sense because you have to sacrifice position to go for it. So many missed triangle chokes.

Comment

I'd want more context - for all I know, the object of those sparring matches was specifically to secure a non-choke sub, maybe as a skill isolation exercise - but also note that the thick collarbone straps on their harnesses might interfere with collar chokes, etc.

Comment

Read this: http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/milreview/yi.pdf

Today, MCMAP’s overarching purpose is to mold
            and strengthen the USMC collective identity, social
            structure, and culture.

Comment

The technique is rudimentary. And this is an instructor course. These are the guys who will be teaching MCMAP to guys who get way less training than this and probably only pieces of this.

People need to stop looking to the military for quality martial arts. It exists there in pockets. It does not exist there institutionally. This is true for every branch of the US military and every military on the planet.

Comment

I get it and I know that military H2H is typically rudimentary stuff - just trying to give these guys the benefit of the doubt based on one video clip.

Comment

Civilians, strangely are way more concerned about the quality of military martial arts training than the people who actually need to kill an enemy who is trying to kill them.

Comment

Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
                    Yeah, but even the technique choices seem suspect. And these people are supposedly qualifying as instructors. It's like the only sub they know is the armbar, which makes no sense because you have to sacrifice position to go for it. So many missed triangle chokes.
                    Missed triangle chokes is all...? The last thing I'm going to try in a fight for my life is a triangle choke.

Comment

Originally posted by Devil View Post
                      Civilians, strangely are way more concerned about the quality of military martial arts training than the people who actually need to kill an enemy who is trying to kill them.
                      Well, they are soldiers, so must be good at all sorts of fighting, right ? Plus, Krav Maga !

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                        Missed triangle chokes is all...? The last thing I'm going to try in a fight for my life is a triangle choke.
                        You're just a Judo guy, though. You probably suck at triangle chokes.

Comment

Originally posted by Devil View Post
                          You're just a Judo guy, though. You probably suck at triangle chokes.
                          It just looked to me that the armbar they were doing seemed to have a greater risk of giving up position than a triangle, and a triangle would have the added benefit of leaving arms free for say deploying a weapon. Honestly, I was surprised by the focus on subs at all. Position seems a lot more important in combat anyways. Sweep -> stand up -> fill with hot lead seems like the best option.

Comment

If I had a badass triangle I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use it in a fight for my life. Some guys are fucking amazing with them. Hit them from all over the place. Mount, side control, guard, bottom side control, in transition. I'd use that weapon if I had it.

Comment

Not to mention the way triangles can be used to sweep and transition to other submissions.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X