No announcement yet.

Brown Belt Test via Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I should note also, in this thread as it seems relevant.
    Other than the Dean Lister Black Belt that let me and my Daughter train for free.
    That the two Harris Black Belts have been the least about the money.
    They never buy you if your running late on being able to pay them.
    They are willing to cut you a deal if you need one.
    They are competitively priced to begin with.
    Offer up a lot of classes for that reasonable price.
    No contracts, no need to buy patches, or certain t-shirts, rash guards, or gis.
    As long as you show up and train hard and are a good student the money really does seem secondary.
    I have had both of them volunteer to lower my tuition when they found out I was going through rough times.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
      I have been in a position where I do promote people in a professional setting.
      One where legal consequences can come up where if promotions are not administered fairly.
      Where the stakes are a bit higher than what pretty new accessory goes around your waist.
      Of course these difference color my out look on any sort of promotions.
      I would like to think that the fairness that should go into the decisions should be the same.
      That being said, I am certainly not going to pretend what is fair in the Dojo for the exact reasons you have stated.
      I have no fucking clue as to what is or is not fair in those settings.
      I have no fucking clue how much weight should be put on to certain things and not on to others.
      I have no clue how criteria should be skewed for certain people.
      I have no idea of how ridged the system should be.
      I am not even entirely sure that a system of any kind needs to even really be in place.

I accept this, I hope other accept my limitations when have a conversation about any of these merits.
      Not trying to shut you down on the issue, let's be clear about that. For sure promotions at work, professional setting or technical/trade are a different ball of wax.

My experience is that the system, in martial arts, is only as good as the people who have designed and administer it.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
        Not trying to shut you down on the issue, let's be clear about that. For sure promotions at work, professional setting or technical/trade are a different ball of wax.

My experience is that the system, in martial arts, is only as good as the people who have designed and administer it.
        Oh I didn't think you where, you raised a very fair point.
        I am sitting on what we call mt. Stupid.

I am still VERY skeptical about any sort of online only learning when it comes to a physical activity.
        I am still VERY skeptical about Mr. Harris ability to properly judge peoples abilities over video especially in an e-mail format where the conversation isn't fluid.

however for a system like this to hold any sort of credibility:
        I would imagine strict grading criteria is going to be pretty necessary.
        With a fairly strict curriculum (though with adaptions enabled for disabilities).
        These students are going to have to be able to preform at their belt level in competitions.

I will be happy to eat crow if that last thing happens.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
          Yes, I agree. I fight the belt thing quite a bit in Judo, as in, little Johnny needs to get the next belt to encourage him.

So a lot of places set up specific requirements, as in techniques to demonstrate (Kesa Gatame, O Goshi, etc) for a specific rank, time in grade/rank, tournament points, etc. To some degree that makes sense, as it can fend off accusations of favoritism, or the "Jack got his ____ belt, and I didn't , it's not fair, I've been doing Judo longer than him! " (I'm not making this up, LOL...)

So I resist making up lists of techniques/requirements for specific ranks/belts, but have general guidelines. As your cartoon suggests, different people have different abilities, and that is a large factor.

For example, I want teenagers to compete. If you are a green belt, you have to be able to hang with other green belts in competition and/or randori. You dont' have to win every match, but you have to show that you are in the general level of other green belts in the area/province. If you don't compete, then promotion is going to be a long, slow progression for a healthy teenager/young adult. Technical Judo is well and good, but you have to be able to kick some ass...

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
            I just got my black belt yesterday. 8 years from white to Black.
            Congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
              Oh I didn't think you where, you raised a very fair point.
              I am sitting on what we call mt. Stupid.

I am still VERY skeptical about any sort of online only learning when it comes to a physical activity.
              I am still VERY skeptical about Mr. Harris ability to properly judge peoples abilities over video especially in an e-mail format where the conversation isn't fluid.

however for a system like this to hold any sort of credibility:
              I would imagine strict grading criteria is going to be pretty necessary.
              With a fairly strict curriculum (though with adaptions enabled for disabilities).
              These students are going to have to be able to preform at their belt level in competitions.

I will be happy to eat crow if that last thing happens.
              I can see you from where I'm standing here on Mount Stupid. May I use the qualifier, "The way it looks from Mt. Stupid is..." from now on?

Comment

Originally posted by Broomie View Post
                I can see you from where I'm standing here on Mount Stupid. May I use the qualifier, "The way it looks from Mt. Stupid is..." from now on?
                I think that qualifier is heavily implied when we are talking about martial arts unless one has a tag to the contrary.
                I know when I am talking about BJJ it should just be a given.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                  I just got my black belt yesterday.
                  Congrats. Must be time to update that avatar and purge yourself of the brownliness.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X