Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brown Belt Test via Video

http://www.bjjee.com/articles/roy-ha...to-brown-belt/

It looks like Roy Harris will now let you test all the way up to 2nd stripe brown via video.

With out a doubt Roy knows BJJ, but I do have to question the ability to really grade someone without rolling with them.

I saw this on my Facebook this morning. Appalling. Basically a money grab, and added to a list of people whose ranks are now meaningless. I feel bad for people actually earning rank in his academy. It cheapens their rank.

Comment

I find this a bit weird

POINT TWO: Testing by video through email can only be done from white belt up to brown belt second stripe. In other words, to test for brown belt third stripe, brown belt first stripe as well as black belt and above, the student must travel to wherever Mr. Harris is and test with him in person.

Comment

Score another point for combat sports that don't utilize the tradition of "rank".

A tradition in general that seems to provide the most value to marketers, promoters, and the unscrupulous, and that preys on the mental needs of the weak minded for validation.

Comment

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
          Score another point for combat sports that don't utilize the tradition of "rank".

A tradition in general that seems to provide the most value to marketers, promoters, and the unscrupulous, and that preys on the mental needs of the weak minded for validation.
          As a Marketer I have to agree with you 100%

Comment

Originally posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
            As a Marketer I have to agree with you 100%
            Here is the real answer:
            Grown adults who take their karate pajamas
            and gi strap color or stripes too seriously (including black belts)
            are more ridiculous than the children with black belts.
            Many combat sports, including really tough grappling styles,
            do just fine without belt ranks.
            And belt ranks over the past century have been used by marketers, newspapers, and Hollywood
            to manipulate the gullible and weak minded.
            There is nothing wrong with having a belt rank tradition.
            Unless it becomes a distraction or is used to generate extra revenues.
            Then it becomes a con job and a distraction to real learning.
            At which point we might be better off abandoning the model completely.
            And that goes for both people who make their money by selling belts,
            and the people that walk around acting like belt ranks are more important
            than respecting people older than you,
            and in fact respecting everyone.
            And belt ranks, whether legitimate or not,
            will certainly not save your ass from taking a beating on the mats
            from somebody with skills and athleticism,
            whether they have a belt rank or not.

Comment

You didn't even have to see Enter the Ninja, or Revenge of the Ninja ... or even Ninja III : The Domination to want a black belt. Don't blame the media on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
                There is nothing wrong with having a belt rank tradition.
                Unless it becomes a distraction or is used to generate extra revenues.
                Then it becomes a con job and a distraction to real learning.
                At which point we might be better off abandoning the model completely.
                Maybe going back to the pre-1967 system would suffice.

Comment

Originally posted by plasma View Post
                  I saw this on my Facebook this morning. Appalling. Basically a money grab, and added to a list of people whose ranks are now meaningless. I feel bad for people actually earning rank in his academy. It cheapens their rank.
                  One of my favorite instructors is a Roy Harris Black Belt, and I would still most likely go back to him, he does his own testing all the way up to black belt.
                  I like the well defined belts in the system. It was one of the good things I think that Harris brought to the community.

Comment

Originally posted by DCS View Post
                    I find this a bit weird
                    Autocorrect. I'm sure he meant fourth

Comment

Roy Harris Statement On Promoting Online BJJ Students Up To Brown Belt

http://www.bjjee.com/bjj-news/roy-ha...to-brown-belt/

Comment

Mr. Harris is certainly making lemonade out of lemons. I suspect it's all part of the marketing plan, in any case. Stirring up controversy is free advertising...

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                          Mr. Harris is certainly making lemonade out of lemons. I suspect it's all part of the marketing plan, in any case. Stirring up controversy is free advertising...
                          The thing here is, Mr Harris has never seemed to me to be all about the money, he has just never come off that way to me.
                          Maybe that is why this particular bit of news sort of stings a little.

Comment

Originally posted by DCS View Post
                            I find this a bit weird
                            Has to be a typo. Or, maybe that's the gimmick - you can only test online for your 2nd stripe?
                            Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                              The thing here is, Mr Harris has never seemed to me to be all about the money, he has just never come off that way to me.
                              Maybe that is why this particular bit of news sort of stings a little.
                              Maybe he is telling the truth, that he is such an exceptional teacher (as evidenced by all his past accomplishments and innovations) that HE can pull it off and be legit.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X