Reality Based Training too expensive for Navy Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Broomie View Post
    Especially the TV shows chronicalling specialized training. BUDs, Rangers, and Army sniper shows come to mind.
    All showcasing the most motivated anf professional guys. Not the "I keep track of inventory in an office and my biggest worry right now is passing a drug test." guy.
    That and a collective desire for these guys to be super soldiers, there is certainly a desire for us to see them in a mystical light.
    I hear it often when it comes to SEALS, especially living in San Diego, don't get me wrong SEALS do tend to be in really good shape (other than there shot knees and lower backs) and are fucking mentally tough as all hell and quite skilled at their jobs.
    They certainly know how to turn on the aggression.
    However they are not invincible supermen of unimaginable skill.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
      so all that getting shot 8 times with blown off thumbs, lacerations, broken bones, getting blown up and falling off a cliff doesnt happen? I thought lone survivir was real....... (Sarchasm)

Ive often seen guys from the sf community in interviews say "what the special forces do and what people think we do are different things".

How people can get it wrong with h2h is ignorance or lack of education. Marketing/recruitment campaigns and hollywood/video games are what think people get the idea that the military teach teh deadly.

Going back to marketing, km is a huge culprit of screwing fact to fiction (km is indeed taught to the idf but doesnt turn everyone into liam neeson from taken).

Comment

Interesting thread. Hopefully the seals will be able to keep their MMA training. I was in the military 25 years ago, the H2H training was extremely poor. I have two sons, one got out of the Air Force a few years ago and one has been in the Marines for a year. Talking to my marine son about MCMAP and the training he went through, I believe that their H2H training is way better than what we had and probably the best the military has ever had. My one son has been involved in MAs for many years and my Marine son has wrestled since he was 5, went to state his senior year and also did very well in Greco, winning several tournaments. Very little time is devoted to H2H training in the military. I get that they are not as skilled as most guys who train MMA as a hobby. But let's face it, if your young, aggressive and in extremely good condition and have even some MMA/JJ/boxing training, you can probably handle yourself against 90% of the population.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
          I hear it often when it comes to SEALS, especially living in San Diego, don't get me wrong SEALS do tend to be in really good shape (other than there shot knees and lower backs) and are fucking mentally tough as all hell and quite skilled at their jobs.
          They certainly know how to turn on the aggression.
          This is something to keep in mind. In Fayetteville, NC a lot of the SF Group guys trained at Greg Thompson's Team ROC gym (it was free for them) and rolling with them was awful. They usually weren't good from a technical standpoint, but they were in freakishly good shape, were very determined, and could ramp up the intensity to the point were they were hard to keep up with.

Comment

Originally posted by Kravbizarre View Post
            Ive often seen guys from the sf community in interviews say "what the special forces do and what people think we do are different things".
            I have a pretty good friend who is a retired Green Beret. I could kick the shit out of him if I wanted to. I can also outshoot him. But he could pick the padlock on my toolbox and steal all my shit in like 30 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Devil View Post
              They do not. Not unless they've sought out quality martial arts training on their own.

These guys should listen to Jocko. Both a military man and a proper martial artist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGpDVCkhtD4
              I was gonna ask, if CQD was such bullshit, how did the seals become so elite while incorporating it? But then I forgot about Jocko. I'll shut up and just listen to Jocko.

Comment

Originally posted by knocka View Post
                I was gonna ask, if CQD was such bullshit, how did the seals become so elite while incorporating it? But then I forgot about Jocko. I'll shut up and just listen to Jocko.
                On a whole, the SEALs are not elite martial artists by any stretch of the imagination. They're pretty fucking good at gun fighting though.

Comment

Originally posted by Devil View Post
                  On a whole, the SEALs are not elite martial artists by any stretch of the imagination. They're pretty fucking good at gun fighting though.
                  Understood.
                  Thanks

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X