Reality Based Training too expensive for Navy Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reality Based Training too expensive for Navy Seals

Looks like Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif wants the Seals to go back to fantasy based bullshit training because it's cheaper.

http://www.mma.tv/featured/politicia...ma-techniques/

it's good to see that we're not the only military where bullshit baffles brains and purse strings rules all.

Comment

Originally posted by plasma View Post
      Looks like Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif wants the Seals to go back to fantasy based bullshit training because it's cheaper.
      It seems it a bit more complicated than that.
      http://www.navytimes.com/story/milit...-why/82700798/

Comment

Originally posted by DCS View Post
        It seems it a bit more complicated than that.
        http://www.navytimes.com/story/milit...-why/82700798/
        Of course it is, but basically it boils down to cost and the misguided views that the all bullshit CQD training.

n a memo to Defense Secretary Ash Carter yesterday, Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., argued that the previous Close Quarters Defense program is superior to the MMA program, and asked the Defense Department to review Naval Special Warfare's close-combat training contract for any conflicts of interest.
        He thinks the old TMA based bullshit training is better than modern MMA training and looking for reason to change it. Luckily, no one, and definitely not the Seals will give a shit about what some no name Representative thinks about any subject matter, no less than training.

Comment

Of course it is, but basically it boils down to cost and the misguided views that the all bullshit CQD training.
          From Navytimes comments:
          When the cost goes from $345 per student to $2,900 per student, and there are former Navy guys running the company and an admiral calling for the switch, you know there's corruption afoot. Sounds to me like Congresman Hunter is on to something dirty here.
          Maybe the commenter is into something. So even if MMA is better for SEAL's training than the old CQD, one can also wonder why precisely https://linxxglobal.com/ - http://linxxacademy.com/ have been awarded the contract.

He thinks the old TMA based bullshit training is better than modern MMA training and looking for reason to change it. Luckily, no one, and definitely not the Seals will give a shit about what some no name Representative thinks about any subject matter, no less than training.
          Is this no name representative Duncan D. Hunter?

The day after the September 11 attacks, Hunter quit his job and joined the United States Marine Corps. He attended Officer Candidates School at Marine Corps Base Quantico. Upon graduation in March 2002, he was commissioned as a second lieutenant. He subsequently served as a field artillery officer in the 1st Marine Division after the 2003 invasion of Iraq and completed a second tour in Fallujah, Iraq, in 2004, serving in Battery A, 1st Battalion, 11th Marines. During his second tour, he participated in Operation Vigilant Resolve. In September 2005, Hunter was honorably discharged from active duty but remained in the Marine Corps Reserve. He then started a residential development company. In 2007, he was recalled to active duty and deployed to Afghanistan in support of the War in Afghanistan; this was his third tour of duty during the War on Terrorism. Hunter was honorably discharged from active duty in December 2007, but continues to serve in the Marine Corps Reserve.[5] Hunter was promoted to major in 2012.
          I'd listen to what a USMC Officer with three deployements in combat zones had to say about training and, if this "I also have concerns with consistent reports that MMA training is not conducive to SEAL operations" is true, I'd like to know what the fuck is happening.

Comment

That of course would be the same Duncan Hunter who just got himself into a little bit of trouble
            http://www.redstate.com/leon_h_wolf/...finance-fraud/

Comment

This, one hundred percent. I can Only echo what you're saying but it always boils down to cost and thankfully units as high as SEALS will pretty much train how they please.

Comment

Lol they upgraded from bullshido to a McDojo. No wonder it's so much more expensive.

Last edited by Magpie McGee; 4/10/2016 12:32pm, . Reason: embed video

Comment

I read the article, but really it raised more questions than anything for me. I read that TMA is bad and MMA is good, yet the article itself implies that CQD isn't really TMA. Its not clear from the article what gaps in training MMA fills as opposed to the CQD. If CQD is junk then I'm all for doing something else, but just because something has BJJ in it and costs more doesn't mean its better. Doesn't mean its worse either. I don't know enough about CQD to condemn it or not, but I didn't find anything in the article to compel me either way.

The first thing that came to my mind is of all the very expensive programs the military has going, congress is quibbling over a few bucks spent on SEAL training? In the big picture of military spending, SEAL classes don't seem to be breaking the bank. That's like switching off your kids nightlight for energy but heating your pool all winter. Supposedly it costs $32,000 an hour to fly a UH-60. Give an aviator a long lunch..there I just paid for your classes. The cost's are so trivial it really makes me wonder if the stated reasons are BS.
                  Last edited by Broomie; 4/10/2016 4:49pm, . Reason: qualifying statement

Comment

Oh, I used to train at a Linxx location. They're run by a SEAL and are completely legit. I don't know what system they were using before, so I can't compare, but Linxx shit works. The location I was at eventually jumped ship to TLI though.

Comment

Originally posted by DCS View Post
                      I'd listen to what a USMC Officer with three deployements in combat zones had to say about training and, if this "I also have concerns with consistent reports that MMA training is not conducive to SEAL operations" is true, I'd like to know what the fuck is happening.
                      Training Martial Arts with Marines for the last year. I seriously question whether the average Marine understands what constitutes as "good hand to hand training."

Comment

Training Martial Arts with Marines for the last year. I seriously question whether the average Marine understands what constitutes as "good hand to hand training."
                        They do not. Not unless they've sought out quality martial arts training on their own.

These guys should listen to Jocko. Both a military man and a proper martial artist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGpDVCkhtD4

Comment

You're not wrong which why they tend to do poorly in cross branch combatives tournaments with the Army.
                          When I was working for a branch of Special Operations Command everyone was doing Jiu Jitsu for the most part. We had Greg Thompson on the compound three days a week running sessions and it was easy to get out of work to go.

Comment

Originally posted by D Dempsey View Post
                            You're not wrong which why they tend to do poorly in cross branch combatives tournaments with the Army.
                            When I was working for a branch of Special Operations Command everyone was doing Jiu Jitsu for the most part. We had Greg Thompson on the compound three days a week running sessions and it was easy to get out of work to go.
                            No, the Army is no different. Most soldiers in the Army don't know shit about unarmed fighting either. Most members of all the armed forces are clueless about unarmed fighting. None of the basic military martial arts programs are capable of building a fighter. None of them.

What you see happening in specific special operations units is the exception and not the rule. You'll find those same exceptions across all the branches of the military. And you'll see different types of training within different units. One special ops unit may get in some good martial arts training. Another may not. It depends on the people in charge. A random platoon in a Marine infantry unit might have a BJJ guy or whatever and that platoon may end up training BJJ a lot just for fun.

But nevermind all that. The standard hand to hand systems of all the branches of the military are a joke. If the Army does better in cross branch combatives tournaments it's because the Army makes it a priority to put together teams who can win those tournaments. It is not an indicator that the Army overall is somehow superior to the Marine Corps when it comes to unarmed fighting. They all suck. It's not important either. 'Cause guns.

Comment

BJJ isn't an inherent indicator of hand to hand readiness either. I've seem competent sports players damn near die trying techniques like rear mount on the street.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X