Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kickboxing/need advice

http://www.powerdefensekickboxing.com/about.html

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. Thinking about training here. Most of my MA experience has been in grappling arts. JJJ, BJJ and submission wrestling. I stopped grappling a few here's ago. I'm only in my late 40s but years of competitive powerlifting, physical trade work, part time bouncing and martial arts have taken its toll on my joints and tendons. The place I trained the longest called itself a Japanese jujitsu school. But the grappling was like basic BJJ/judo and the stand up was kickboxing. I was there mostly for the grappling, back then there was only 1or 2 BJJ places within a 100 mile radius. I did work up to medium hard sparring in the kickboxing but I never did a lot of it. Anyway I would like to train in some stand up, not looking to compete. I know you can't tell a lot about a place by its web site, but what do you guys think about this place for an old hobbyist looking to learn somthing new and get in shape. Thanks for any replies.

yeah .. not really sure about all that ...

Originally posted by Website Thingy
    Why adding self-defense techniques to Kickboxing, is there not enough "Fight" in it ?
    Kickboxing alone is an Sport, it is not an Self-Defense System!
    Kickboxing is a mix of Karate and boxing and made to be more effective than Boxing and Karate in an ring fight. What works in a ring, works only very limited in the street.

Due to the fact that most of the sportives will not want to get into competition, we took out the "Fight" training and replaced it with Self-Defense.So in our Kickboxing you get in shape like preparing for an ring fight but without black eyes and have the added value of preparing to counter an eventual assault in the streets
    yeah ... false dichotomy of SportvsStreet tends to sour things for me personally.

If he actually teaches and talks like that I am not sure how much I could trust him. Kinda like people who talk about church all the time. They just make me nervous... sport vs street is a dark and twisted way to view martial arts.

Comment

Franco did want to change this and eliminated the violent components of Kickboxing and replaced it with an similar approach to fight training but without the contact involved.
      This right here is all you need to know.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
        This right here is all you need to know.
        Did I read that right?? So basically he took the kickboxing out of kickboxing. I would think without the contact it would be like cardio kickboxing which is not even close to what I would call a martial art.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. In the FAQ part of the site it did say sparring was available when ready or somthing like that. I wouldn't go someplace where at least light sparring wasn't done. Unlike grappling, where a not to serious hobbyist can go into most JJ gyms and roll. It seems like a lot of the striking training is either cardio kickboxing/pad work or for competitive fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by rnc357 View Post
            It seems like a lot of the striking training is either cardio kickboxing/pad work or for competitive fighters.
            I don't think its any different than Judo, in Judo you have hobbyist and competitors.
            However even the hobbyist in Judo spar, they spar with the competitors and the other hobbyist.
            That sparring can take a different shape than when two competitors are sparing.
            The last gym I was at had boxing as part of the syllabus I didn't get my bell rang sparring cause it was sparring not competing.
            The better boxers worked on things that they could work on while sparring with me.
            Serious competitors are very capable of keeping everything respectable, and are good at not hurting their training partners, while still learning things.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
              I don't think its any different than Judo, in Judo you have hobbyist and competitors.
              However even the hobbyist in Judo spar, they spar with the competitors and the other hobbyist.
              That sparring can take a different shape than when two competitors are sparing.
              The last gym I was at had boxing as part of the syllabus I didn't get my bell rang sparring cause it was sparring not competing.
              The better boxers worked on things that they could work on while sparring with me.
              Serious competitors are very capable of keeping everything respectable, and are good at not hurting their training partners, while still learning things.
              Thanks goodlun. That's good to hear. I think I'll just go to a boxing gym then. I'm more interested in the boxing than the kicking anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Douchebro View Post
                Did I read that right?? So basically he took the kickboxing out of kickboxing. I would think without the contact it would be like cardio kickboxing which is not even close to what I would call a martial art.
                Many so-called martial arts styles do their damnest to take the fighting out of fighting arts.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X