Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Science ! Acl repairs with no grafting!

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...FWP/story.html

In 3 or 4 years not tapping to heel hooks won't be that big of a deal. ;-)

That's really interesting. I'd love to see some cross sections of sponge grown ligament compared to injured (but not replaced) ligament where there is scar tissue formation.

But I'm still tapping to heel hooks!

Comment

Originally posted by BJMills View Post
      That's really interesting. I'd love to see some cross sections of sponge grown ligament compared to injured (but not replaced) ligament where there is scar tissue formation.

But I'm still tapping to heel hooks!
      I poped my Bff's MCL (on accident)it took about a year to grow back to near *100%-ish, this surgery seems to basically allow the acl to grow like the mcl . Cadaver grafts never seem to 100% from what I am told. I have been lucky I only have needed my meniscus fixed twice. My ACL and my MCL have both held together thus far.

*100% being able to roll and spar with no worry of reinjury. But he was on the mat 1 legged the next day.
      Last edited by Raycetpfl; 3/28/2016 11:02am, .

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
        https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...FWP/story.html

In 3 or 4 years not tapping to heel hooks won't be that big of a deal. ;-)
        Man this is great news

Comment

I've been nursing what I believe to be a minor "pop" of my right MCL for about 6 weeks, now. Not debilitating, but it's annoying. I can roll, but I have trouble doing simple shit like "daddy, please tie my shoes." It's comforting to know that medical science is getting ahead of the game.
          Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
            I've been nursing what I believe to be a minor "pop" of my right MCL for about 6 weeks, now. Not debilitating, but it's annoying. I can roll, but I have trouble doing simple shit like "daddy, please tie my shoes." It's comforting to know that medical science is getting ahead of the game.
            Although in the article they're referring to it as a "ACL tear" I believe the proper term for what they're talking about is a rupture and a tear. Rupture being where it straight up snaps in half.

My buddies mcl ruptured and it took about a year. I hope yours is just a slight tear. I actually just got over a slight mcl tear that took about three months to heal.

Comment

Lots of knee surgeries are bullshit.

Comment

Damn, I had my ACL replaced with a ligament from my hamstring. Nice to know the future won't need that.

Comment

Originally posted by ChenPengFi View Post
                  Lots of knee surgeries are bullshit.
                  How so?

Comment

How so?
                    Here's one example:

In conclusion, the results of this randomized, sham-controlled trial show that arthroscopic partial medial meniscectomy provides no significant benefit over sham surgery in patients with a degenerative meniscal tear and no knee osteoarthritis. These results argue against the current practice of performing arthroscopic partial meniscectomy in patients with a degenerative meniscal tear.
                    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056...icleBackground

That study refers to several others with similar results and there's a lot more out there.

Comment

Respecting taps will be a thing of the past!

Comment

Originally posted by ChenPengFi View Post
                        Here's one example:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056...icleBackground

That study refers to several others with similar results and there's a lot more out there.
                        My meniscus was getting stuck in my knee joint and locking it up causing intense pain and really hindering me with work and athletics.

It changed my life for the better.

Comment

I'm glad it worked out for you.

Comment

My meniscus was getting stuck in my knee joint and locking it up causing intense pain and really hindering me with work and athletics.

It changed my life for the better.
                            Rayce,
                            How long was the recovery time from the procedure,
                            and what procedure did the surgeon do to try and correct your situation?
                            Last edited by Dr. Gonzo; 3/28/2016 3:49pm, .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X