What's NOT bullshit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's NOT bullshit?

I'm curious, as Bullies have gained experience, what have you thought was bullshit, but found to be effective?

First time I was taught Kani Basami (Flying Scissor Takedown) I thought it was a bullshit takedown that was easily countered.

I was so very wrong about that.
    Last edited by plasma; 3/25/2016 5:37am, .

Comment

I have found that nothing ever works all the time,
      But most techniques have the potential to work in their right context or as a trick.
      Trick jiu-jitsu may not work well once your opponent understands the trick and how to defend it.
      But if they are not expecting the trick, and the trick is hit well from the right opportunity, garbage jiu-jitsu (also called esqui-jitsu) can work even against a world champion.

Comment

Originally posted by The Villain View Post
        I'm curious, as Bullies have gained experience, what have you thought was bullshit, but found to be effective?
        The female orgasm. 13 year old me was pretty sure it was a mythical construct thought up to make women seem more human. I later found out it was in fact real.

Comment

Nothing.

Some of us are plagued by a tiny demon of uncertainty. A nagging at our souls
          hinting at our impotence. We float through sepia-toned days thinking, "Gee, I hope
          I never have to use this stuff, but if I do ..." Except the dot-dot-dot part never gets filled
          in. We really think, "I hope I never have to use this stuff." Because we know deep
          down it won't work.

Comment

Originally posted by HarshMallow View Post
            Nothing.

Some of us are plagued by a tiny demon of uncertainty. A nagging at our souls
            hinting at our impotence. We float through sepia-toned days thinking, "Gee, I hope
            I never have to use this stuff, but if I do ..." Except the dot-dot-dot part never gets filled
            in. We really think, "I hope I never have to use this stuff." Because we know deep
            down it won't work.
            Ummmm no. I can throw fantastic grapplers ass over elbows and then choke them. My shit works.

Very poetic though.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
              Ummmm no. I can throw fantastic grapplers ass over elbows and then choke them. My shit works.

Very poetic though.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	e37.png
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	4329940

I said some. I meant me.

Comment

Shotokan Karate. Lyoto Machida proved me wrong there. Yes he has adopted his training for the cage and its not strip mall karate, but still the essence of the way he moves is shotokan and he does well with it. One thing in particular is his sweeps. I always thought karate sweeps were just poor, unworkable versions of Judo, but he's really adept at taking other fighters off their feet.

Tae Kwon Do kicks. First Benson Henderson and Anthony Pettis and now Stephen Wonderboy Thompson. Yes I know Thompson's base is some sort of hybrid American karate, but his kicks are clearly TKD style. I found it particularly interesting when he was laying into Johnny Hendricks with those 'little flicky kicks' that were clearly doing some damage. And Hendricks is a tough dude.

Wing Chun. Sean Obasi... just kidding.

Comment

Years ago, I had a stun gun quickly tested on my arm, and thought "that wouldn't stop me if I was attacking someone". Much later, a cop showed me his preferred method- shocking the lower back while controlling with a front bodylock. I was pretty much defenseless and fightless immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                    The female orgasm. 13 year old me was pretty sure it was a mythical construct thought up to make women seem more human. I later found out it was in fact real.
                    So at what age did you window peep a woman masturbating ?

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
                      Years ago, I had a stun gun quickly tested on my arm, and thought "that wouldn't stop me if I was attacking someone". Much later, a cop showed me his preferred method- shocking the lower back while controlling with a front bodylock. I was pretty much defenseless and fightless immediately.
                      Stun gun ? Try being TASED...

Comment

At my very first throwdown (2006?), we met at the North County Fight Club, and I was the first to spar, and so was KempoClyde, a thick mulleted kempo guy who was pretty outspoken on the forums, particularly about the viability of kempo techniques. He proceeded to sidekick and footsweep me as counters to everything I tried. I tried to jab him and he'd lean away from it as he'd sidekick me in the liver. Fast, snappy kicks that hit solidly and couldn't be caught. He did this from a sideways horse stance with his hands down, a type of stance that even though I've seen work and have learned such a style myself, I simply can't abide by as a real fighting stance. He did this kind of forehand face slap/ashi waza combination that left you on the ground with a stinging face. I just thought I was really shitty outside of the comfort of my own dojo, but he went on to do the same kind of stuff to guys with lots of combat sports experience. I can't seem to find video of that day anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                          So at what age did you window peep a woman masturbating ?
                          It's called the Internet, you old fart.

Comment

Originally posted by plasma View Post
                            It's called the Internet, you old fart.
                            Oh, that's all fake on the Internet, doncha know ? Besides, Rayce is old school...despite his youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
                              At my very first throwdown (2006?), we met at the North County Fight Club, and I was the first to spar, and so was KempoClyde, a thick mulleted kempo guy who was pretty outspoken on the forums, particularly about the viability of kempo techniques. He proceeded to sidekick and footsweep me as counters to everything I tried. I tried to jab him and he'd lean away from it as he'd sidekick me in the liver. Fast, snappy kicks that hit solidly and couldn't be caught. He did this from a sideways horse stance with his hands down, a type of stance that even though I've seen work and have learned such a style myself, I simply can't abide by as a real fighting stance. He did this kind of forehand face slap/ashi waza combination that left you on the ground with a stinging face. I just thought I was really shitty outside of the comfort of my own dojo, but he went on to do the same kind of stuff to guys with lots of combat sports experience. I can't seem to find video of that day anymore.
                              That would be interesting to watch, for sure.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X