Tag Talk cull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Those things don't really have anything to do with fighting.
    Akido dummies claiming to be good fighters can be proven wrong with a fight. If I disagree with someone's business practices it can't be fixed with a fight.

someone is a child molester unless I kill them in a sanctioned fight/match that they agree to I really can't fix it with my Jiu Jitsu without going to jail for murder.

I don't support the cult nonsense.
    Tampa Jiu Jitsu's emblem is an American Flag in an Eagle. No Brazilian flags
    We don't do titles,Just our names on the mat.
    No "ossu" and what not, no acacia bowls.

If anyone ever asks me about Lloyd Irving or DJ Jackson I will tell them about the sexual assaults that they were involved with and the rape culture on their team And point them to the Miami Herald article on Irving.
    Then I stand with you.
    We may not agree on everything.
    But, I suspect on the important things, we are not far off from each other.
    Many of my friends and I tend to "agree violently".
    It's kind of silly, but that is what often happens when mat rats dialogue.

Comment

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
      If I may ask, how old are you?
      33 years old.

Comment

I like acacia bowls. But as a snack. Full meal
        They are not.

Wait, what are we talking about again?

Comment

Originally posted by BJMills View Post
          I like acacia bowls. But as a snack. Full meal
          They are not.

Wait, what are we talking about again?
          Posers and fakers.

Liking a fruit is fine. I love almost all food but acacia as a life style choice is cause for eye rolling.

Comment

So is marijuana but the Diaz brothers do alright by it.

Comment

33 years old.
              Grapplers in their 30's have slower reaction times than grapplers in their 20's, but often have denser muscles and bones.
              They are also usually mentally stronger than grapplers in their 20's.

You have a good chance of 2-4 more years on the upswing because of dense muscles, dense bones, and solid sense of body in space.
              During this time, you will likely develop some nagging injuries that begin to bother you.

In 3-5 years you will likely begin a gradual decline.
              So, you are probably in a kind of prime, with a good expectation of 2-3 more years of prime before you begin your downswing.

None of that is exact science,
              I have never met you,
              And I don't believe in fortune telling.
              But it is pretty common for even high level grapplers to start their physical decline somewhat rapidly in their mid to late thirties.
              Last edited by Dr. Gonzo; 3/22/2016 4:34am, .

Comment

Eating acai does not make somebody a fake or a poseur.
                But, totally giving up one's cultural background to wholly adopt another group's culture to emulate one's teacher or sports idols is a little extreme at best and self brain washing at worst,
                And is unlikely to improve one's grappling
                (Only practice does that, and practice does not care what flag is flown or whether you have self mutilated ears or not).
                I have traveled to a few dozen countries,
                And I love of variety of cultures.
                But acting Japanese will not improve your Judo,
                And acting Brazilian will not improve your Jiu-Jitsu,
                And being of a certain nationality does give anyone any advantage on the mats.
                Respect for all, but worship none.
                And damn sure do not tolerate for an instant any group, be they a member of a certain family or of a certain nationality,
                trying to con you and your group into thinking that it is somehow all right for their group to be first among equals
                Or for you, or your group (or your students) to be second class citizens.
                Humility is fine, service is fine, but servitude should be rejected immediately in how we run our academies, and how we let other groups or organizations treat us or our students.

Osvaldo Fadda said it best when the Gracie Academy billed them as second class players:
                "We respect the Gracies but we do not fear them".
                After his academy won against the Gracie Academy in an almost complete sweep,
                Mestre Helio was forced to admit:
                "You only need one Fadda to realize that Jiu-Jitsu is not the sole property of the Gracies".
                (Paraphrase).

People often seek out their own intake of Bullshido.

I like the Brazilians, but somebody acting Brazilian because they grapple is silly, and actually being Brazilian won't help you on the mats at all.
                And having or being associated with the Gracie name
                (as much as I am a fan of some of the Gracies who have been noteworthy competitors)
                Is much the same.
                Having or being associated with a family name does not make any difference on the mats.
                Last edited by Dr. Gonzo; 3/22/2016 4:47am, .

Comment

Grapplers in their 30's have slower reaction times than grapplers in their 20's, but often have denser muscles and bones.

You have a good chance of 2-4 more years on the upswing because of dense muscles, dense bones, and solid sense of body in space.
                  During this time, you will likely develop some nagging injuries that begin to bother you.

So, you are probably in a kind of prime, with a good expectation of 2-3 more years of prime before you begin your downswing.

I have never met you,
                  But it is pretty common for even high level grapplers to start their physical decline somewhat rapidly in their mid to late thirties.
                  That sounds about right. Lucky for me I can play a tight crushing game and don't have to rely just on my speed so much. Hopefully I can squeeze a few more years out of the body before it goes down hill. I don't smoke,I don't do drugs and I eat well-ish. So we will see.
                  I don't need all the gymnastics and blast doubles for my A game. I have modeled my game off of Bj Penn,Roger Gracie,team quest wrestlers and rickson. So I will at least be capable of performing my A game in my 40's I hope.
                  A team mate of mine in Philadelphia was at one point one of the top-ish guys in the country but his game was a bit too "flippy". Now his neck is fucked. he can't do that stuff anymore and he has trouble training.

Comment

That sounds about right. Lucky for me I can play a tight crushing game and don't have to rely just on my speed so much. Hopefully I can squeeze a few more years out of the body before it goes down hill. I don't smoke,I don't do drugs and I eat well-ish. So we will see.
                    I don't need all the gymnastics and blast doubles for my A game. I have modeled my game off of Bj Penn,Roger Gracie,team quest wrestlers and rickson. So I will at least be capable of performing my A game in my 40's I hope.
                    A team mate of mine in Philadelphia was at one point one of the top-ish guys in the country but his game was a bit too "flippy". Now his neck is fucked. he can't do that stuff anymore and he has trouble training.
                    I think you are taking the right approach.
                    It would be nice if you could use the right conditioning to keep your neck, back, legs, and core well conditioned, strong, but not over trained.
                    I suspect that is one of the secrets to longevity in play.

Comment

Posers and fakers.

Liking a fruit is fine. I love almost all food but acacia as a life style choice is cause for eye rolling.
                      You guys that eat Acacia are some tuff motherfuckers...

Comment

I have never met you,
                        I agree with you Bill. Although in BJJ the reaction time issue is not as great as in say, Judo or (I'd speculate) boxing. It varies as well with weight division (particularly in Judo, where as you know you see heavyweights doing well in high level competition into maybe late 20s early 30s.).

I competed at -65 kg in my prime (early to mid 20s) in Judo. As I approached 30, I could feel my reaction times getting slower. At my level of skill (which was not that high), that was sure death at national level competition. I had very fast reaction time(s), above average but not top level, too, so the decline was not as noticeable. The funny thing is, in my mid-late 40s, when I could still do Judo all out with younger guys, I could "see" stuff happening in that weird sort of slow-motion way, but my body just could not react fast enough to do anything in time to avoid it. It's and odd a bit disturbing phenomena. I'd sense the debana, but was too slow to fit into the time-space continuum to make it work.

By the time I was in my mid 30s, despite staying very active in Judo and working out, reaction times were headed south at a steady rate, as was aerobic capacity, not matter how much cardio I did. Note that is judo specific cardio, not long slow distance type cardio. I could ride my mountain bike up to trail, then ride up the trail until I couldn't get any more traction, then I'd carry the bike as I jogged/climbed to the top, then ride back down/side hill home. But try to last 5 minute match with a decent 20 something at nationals, forget about it. 2-3 minutes was about it.

Recovery times went up, as well between workouts, and like you noted, small, nagging injuries happened.

BJJ does not require the super fast reaction times of Judo (seems to me anyway), which is why older guys in Judo can do well in ne waza past their tachi waza prime. Plus that old man strength thing (denser bones and muscle as you mentioned). Hell, I was my strongest ever in my early-mid 40s...stronger than I ever was when regularly lifting weights in my 20s.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                          I agree with you Bill. Although in BJJ the reaction time issue is not as great as in say, Judo or (I'd speculate) boxing. It varies as well with weight division (particularly in Judo, where as you know you see heavyweights doing well in high level competition into maybe late 20s early 30s.).

I competed at -65 kg in my prime (early to mid 20s) in Judo. As I approached 30, I could feel my reaction times getting slower. At my level of skill (which was not that high), that was sure death at national level competition. I had very fast reaction time(s), above average but not top level, too, so the decline was not as noticeable. The funny thing is, in my mid-late 40s, when I could still do Judo all out with younger guys, I could "see" stuff happening in that weird sort of slow-motion way, but my body just could not react fast enough to do anything in time to avoid it. It's and odd a bit disturbing phenomena. I'd sense the debana, but was too slow to fit into the time-space continuum to make it work.

By the time I was in my mid 30s, despite staying very active in Judo and working out, reaction times were headed south at a steady rate, as was aerobic capacity, not matter how much cardio I did. Note that is judo specific cardio, not long slow distance type cardio. I could ride my mountain bike up to trail, then ride up the trail until I couldn't get any more traction, then I'd carry the bike as I jogged/climbed to the top, then ride back down/side hill home. But try to last 5 minute match with a decent 20 something at nationals, forget about it. 2-3 minutes was about it.

Recovery times went up, as well between workouts, and like you noted, small, nagging injuries happened.

BJJ does not require the super fast reaction times of Judo (seems to me anyway), which is why older guys in Judo can do well in ne waza past their tachi waza prime. Plus that old man strength thing (denser bones and muscle as you mentioned). Hell, I was my strongest ever in my early-mid 40s...stronger than I ever was when regularly lifting weights in my 20s.
                          I think you can have a reflexes based game in bjj. Buchecha comes to mind for that sort of thing, but I think you can definitely be more constricting and slow the game down after initial contact. I obviously benefit from being big-ish. The little guys definitely have to be faster.

Comment

I think you can have a reflexes based game in bjj. Buchecha comes to mind for that sort of thing, but I think you can definitely be more constricting and slow the game down after initial contact. I obviously benefit from being big-ish. The little guys definitely have to be faster.
                            Reflexes are important regardless. Standing though, the degree of velocity and ballistic motion is a bit greater than in pure groundwork, IME at least.

Comment

I agree with Murphy. We have work to do, to achieve our aims, and battles to fight. We aren't done. We let others co-opt our standards and fraud prevention for ulterior motives. We need to step back into our rightful roles and make a difference in this thing. I had a guy contact me the other week for some jackass training idiots in his living room. I let it go. Why? Because in the grand scheme of things its just some knuckle head that can fight a bit, teaching other knuckle heads to fight a bit. That's not our target. There are actual predators here, that prey on the unwilling, financially, socially and sexually, running around safe and secure under Bullshido's watchful eye.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X