looking to up my sparring some

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking to up my sparring some

Ok, so my karate club is adding more sparring to the mix now that we're getting into some MMA classes, and while I finding my grappling is better than some of the guys in our club (I do judo outside of the karate), my striking needs work, especially in competitive context. My sensei has no problems with cross training, and encourages us to go to other clubs and learn what we can, locally there are two gyms I have my eye on

1. A boxing gym, it has some good write ups, adult only classes and weekend conditioning

2. The other is a muay thai club as well with weekend classes

I know both have regular sparring and conditioning, so I might check either out. Boxing not having kicks is the only thing I can think might not translate for me so well

Originally posted by kimjonghng View Post
    Boxing not having kicks is the only thing I can think might not translate for me so well
    Which is exactly why you should do it

Comment

Originally posted by Bar Humbug View Post
      Which is exactly why you should do it
      so boxing instead of muay thai because it doesnt have the kicks? Am I reading that right?

Comment

Originally posted by kimjonghng View Post
        so boxing instead of muay thai because it doesnt have the kicks? Am I reading that right?
        More my being a bit too blunt to get my point across: that if you have identified an issue with you game (namely within your striking), and that Boxing is the more challenging of the two partly because of its lack of familiarity within an MMA training setting, than that is the one you should go with, because you will most likely gain the greatest benefit.

Then there is a whole argument about cost of boxing v. Muay Thai in the uk, prevalence of boxing within MMA settings in the uk/globally and then (and this may be different in your own case) that guys coming into MMA from a TMA striking background tend to be able to adapt some kicks, but its the boxing where they are lacking (I know from personal experience of both myself and others at an MMA club I was at).

Comment

If you're training boxing or muay thai, and judo, are you gonna stay committed to karate? Do you think karate stuff will still be a big part of your striking game? Do you consider yourself a karate guy who sees judo and boxing on the side?

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
            If you're training boxing or muay thai, and judo, are you gonna stay committed to karate? Do you think karate stuff will still be a big part of your striking game? Do you consider yourself a karate guy who sees judo and boxing on the side?
            not that karate doesn't have its place but boxing and judo are a really solid combination.
            Hector Lombard really comes to mind of how devastating that combo can be.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
              not that karate doesn't have its place but boxing and judo are a really solid combination.
              Hector Lombard really comes to mind of how devastating that combo can be.
              To me this is probably one of the best empty hand combinations for self defense, you have the tools to get out of a bad position and get back to your feet if you do end up on the ground, you have most your ranges covered.
              If you are of the mind set that kicking range is a good start to running away range you should have the fitness to well run away quite well.
              Throw in some Dog Brothers MA for weapons stuffes, you have a pretty solid game plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
                To answer that, yes, I do see myself as a karate-ka, but I do believe above all else that there is always things to learn from other disciplines, a mentality shared with my own sensei in karate and my judo teacher as well. In fact my karate sensei is taking boxing privately just to work his hand and arm speed, tactics and improve his sparring to compliment full contact kumite. I think the boxing may be a better choice over the muay thai to be honest doing so more looking at the clubs today

Comment

What I like about boxing is there are only two weapons. Right and left. The rest is footwork, setups, and feints. It forces you to come up with combos based not only on punching. And that translates to every other art, especially karate. Will make your movement much better. Also, it helps my BJJ because I think, "what will make him move this way . . ."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLuckydog View Post
                    What I like about boxing is there are only two weapons. Right and left. The rest is footwork, setups, and feints. It forces you to come up with combos based not only on punching. And that translates to every other art, especially karate. Will make your movement much better. Also, it helps my BJJ because I think, "what will make him move this way . . ."
                    One of the best things someone can do for their BJJ is learn boxing,
                    because it will help them learn how to move while they are standing,
                    gauge distance,
                    deal with punches being thrown at them -and landing sometimes-.
                    Plus being able to punch people in the face is a major advantage
                    in hand to hand combat situations.
                    Have to take very good care of the hands and wrists while training boxing on bags or people, though.
                    And your shoulders / elbows if you are at all long in the tooth.
                    I would add that there has occasionally been an elbow and forehead that has made
                    "accidental" contact during close range or clinch situations in boxing.
                    Totally by accident of course... :)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X