Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family karate school in my town... that teaches Soo Bahk Do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family karate school in my town... that teaches Soo Bahk Do?

Ok, so I found there's a 'family karate' club in my area that doesnt teach karate but Soo Bahk Do. I'm interested in what exactly justifies it as being able to be called a karate school on these grounds. The website is utter garbage and hard to get anything out of though. is Soo Bahk Do as notorious for kicking as TKD? If they spar I'd be interested to see if its anything like my Goju Ryu

here's the link. Not a lot of info on it

http://www.hedgeskarate.co.uk/contact.html

Soo Bahk Do, like TKD, is basically Korean karate. It's not actually called karate, but the difference when advertising is essentially semantic. This is fairly common in advertising for martial arts in that vein: they're all "karate".

I see no fraud because SBK, TKD, and Goju are essentially all karate ryu, and the content is close enough for my purposes. When I was a karateka it got under my skin but only because I'm a stickler for names.

SBK is extremely similar to TKD.

Comment

When TKD was first introduced to the Western world (largely during the 1970s) it was common for TKD schools to advertise themselves as "karate" or "Korean karate" for the very pragmatic reason that "Tae Kwon Do" read as nonsense syllables to non-Koreans. Even today, a storefront dojang advertising "Soo Bahk Do" without any more familiar modifiers will probably be assumed to be an Asian restaurant.

Comment

I could really go for a dish of Soo Bahk Do right about now...
        "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

Comment

Ah, I see, so it's just an advertising thing (like how there's a million and two clubs that are 'kung fu' without specifying style)

Comment

Originally posted by Sovvolf View Post
            I could really go for a dish of Soo Bahk Do right about now...
            "Jeet kune do?"

"No, I've never eaten kune do, but I hear it's quite good."

Comment

Originally posted by Chili Pepper View Post
              "Jeet kune do?"

"No, I've never eaten kune do, but I hear it's quite good."
              Anyone for some Han Kuk Mu Do Noodles?
              "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
              X