'Combat orientated art' Ji Ji Shu 'New Style Kung Fu'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sovvolf View Post
    I managed to do a decent job yesterday during sparring. I'm still a beginner I'm not going to be seen as anything close to your level but I don't think I'm doing too bad for a beginner. I'm not saying I'm at fighting level or anything close but I can still manage to hold my own even if I am a little podgy. Which I am working on.

However regardless the point still stands. You guys all had a go at me in the other thread and it boiled down to "Bag work isn't anything more than a good cardio work out" or "Hitting a bag and hitting a person is apples and oranges".

The moment I put that I'm somehow wrong?
    because if you can do well against an inanimate object it doesn't mean you can block well, take punches well, pick your shots or timing well. Which are all extremely important in a fight.

If you can't do well against an inanimate object you are horrible at everything and might as well just start windmill punches.

A heavy bag works a lot more than just cardiovascular. You can work power, combos,technique and foot work for entry and exits.
    I am far from a striking guru but the heavy bag is my favorite striking training tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
      because if you can do well against an inanimate object it doesn't mean you can block well, take punches well, pick your shots or timing well. Which are all extremely important in a fight.

If you can't do well against an inanimate object you are horrible at everything and might as well just start windmill punches.

A heavy bag works a lot more than just cardiovascular. You can work power, combos,technique and foot work for entry and exits.
      I am far from a striking guru but the heavy bag is my favorite striking training tool.
      I think I said this in some discussion with Sovvolf somewhere ... Striking a bag just makes you good at striking a bag.

People tend to think fancy bag work or demo skills or kata means those things transfer somehow. Cardio or Shadow Kickboxing /= kickboxing skills. Fancy speedbag drills /= good hands. Heavy bag skills /= striking skills. Breakdancing /= ground skills. Jump rope /= good foot work. Shrimping /= escape skills. Gymnastics /= flying guard passes.

All those things help with their connected skill sets in some manner but ... if I hear some full grown moron talk about how some flipping kicky 13 year old screaming girl child with an aluminum sword could totally kick their ass while watching T.V. at a bar I am going to lose my fucking mind.

You can look crisp, sharp, strong and confident in every area of a training space of a gym except the ring and get chewed the fuck up when it matters.
      Originally posted by ChenPengFi View Post
      Oh yes, I can just picture you doing all of those things...
      Well, not really.
      Go run fatass.
      As it stands you'd gas out before being able to capitalize on anything.
      He is missing the other side of things too I think. Good fighters are usually pretty good or can be really good at the associated skills.

This shits worse than me with the damn punch bag... This is like beginners sparring...
      Yeah ... umm ... the guy in the shorts looks fairly competent and I would NOT want to cross hands with him under this ruleset. I would have been head first in the crowd a number of times.
      Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 3/12/2016 9:21am, .

Comment

I'm not a good fighter. I'm barely even competent. At best I'm a good beginner and that's about it. Telling me I'm shit is pretty much preaching to the choir.
        "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

Comment

I managed to do a decent job yesterday during sparring. I'm still a beginner I'm not going to be seen as anything close to your level but I don't think I'm doing too bad for a beginner. I'm not saying I'm at fighting level or anything close but I can still manage to hold my own even if I am a little podgy. Which I am working on.

However regardless the point still stands. You guys all had a go at me in the other thread and it boiled down to "Bag work isn't anything more than a good cardio work out" or "Hitting a bag and hitting a person is apples and oranges".

The moment I put that I'm somehow wrong?

No you're wrong because you inverted it.
          Hitting a bag well doesn't mean you can hit a resisting person because that's harder to do.
          But being shit at hitting bags doesn't imply you are better at fighting people, whereas a lot of people who can hit people well can also hit a bag pretty well.
          Free standing bags like that don't even swing either, so you're missing a big component there too.
          Focus on your fitness and wedding pics for now.
          That means; run like a motherfucker, stop stuffing your face, no black eyes and get a good haircut beforehand.

Comment

Hitting a bag well doesn't mean you can hit a resisting person because that's harder to do.
            But being shit at hitting bags doesn't imply you are better at fighting people, whereas a lot of people who can hit people well can also hit a bag pretty well.
            Free standing bags like that don't even swing either, so you're missing a big component there too.
            That means; run like a motherfucker, stop stuffing your face, no black eyes and get a good haircut beforehand.
            Fuck you... My hairs fine. Call me a fat arse... Just don't insult the doo.

Also, fair enough. You're much more experienced at this than myself so I'll concede to your argument.
            "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

Comment

It has nothing to do with experience, it's simply logical.
              Fighting is much harder than hitting a bag.

Comment

You can tell he really cares and thinks about your pretty face. I was kinda setting you up for a limp down the isle and a shiner in the wedding photos.

Comment

“We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training.”

― Archilochos

Comment

I think I get where sovvolf is coming from actually, when you talk about skill relative to other martial artists in general, as opposed to skill relative to your opponent (e.g. the heavy bag). It's absolutely possible to be the worst in your area at bagwork, but only the fourth or fifth worst in sparring because you have naturally better reaction times, are better psychologically prepared to act under pressure, or something else which is a factor in sparring but not in bagwork. I've been on the other end of that, where I'd have slicker padwork or bagwork than a few people and then get my ass kicked by all of them because my reactions are too damn sluggish.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X