Raw Combat International

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BKR View Post
    Might as well agree to using a piece of metal conduit or water pipe...
    There is probably a good reason why you don't see them very often.

Comment

In the study by Mrs. Scarlett

Comment

Candlestick throwdown?

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
          In the study by Mrs. Scarlett
          Exactly...

Comment

Or garden hoses.
            https://youtu.be/Y905cprLVGI?t=15m10s

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
              How do Kendo guys do at dog Bros type events? I have watched a lot of videos but you never know if that stuff tells the whole story.
              There's been more than one fight where a guy using a 2-handed kendo type attack tried continuous downward head strikes while retreating, with many landing, that ultimately led to the other guy closing to the clinch. I think the in-close work they do in kendo is kinda specific to someone armed with a similar weapon. A bokken is obviously more dangerous than a shinai, especially with minimal protective gear. At a Dog Bros style event (Beat The Crap Out of Cancer) I did a bokken vs bokken match, using padded bokken with wooden cores, and as soon as they started hitting each other, both of us realized that despite the padding, it was a dangerous weapon to get hit with. I've fought against a guy armed with a shinai in an armored tournament, but it was obvious that he wasn't actually a kendo guy. I think he was a kemPo guy, and was wildly swinging it like a baseball bat instead of the quick snapping taps from a conservative guard that I associate with kendo. I have yet to encounter a real kendo player though. I've encouraged some of my historical fencing partners I trained with to at least go watch a DB gathering.

Comment

Respect to those agreeing to beat eachother with sticks and everything in between. Very interesting stuff. I like the idea of the hidden knife coming out, ive often tried to spar like this but all my training buddies used to forget they had it (unlike dog bros constantly train in this manner i guess).

I like how theres no restriction on whats used aslong as its agreed upon and within reason.

(A little off topic but i remember my grand father beat up a burgular that broke into his house. Used a power lead extention cable. getting whipped by the hard bit that plugs into power sockets would hurt. Needless to say guy ran for the hills).

Comment

Originally posted by Kravbizarre View Post
                  I like the idea of the hidden knife coming out, ive often tried to spar like this but all my training buddies used to forget they had it (unlike dog bros constantly train in this manner i guess).
                  People at gatherings forget about their knives too- you really do need to have some free play experience pulling them out. This is my issue with people who think just having a knife makes them the anti-grappler. A related issue is that when you're grappling, a knife hidden on you can quickly become a knife for your opponent to take, so even before you deploy your knife you need to think weapon retention. Another issue is that if you're on your back, you may not be able to get to a weapon tucked in your rear waistband, or vice versa for the front. I've fouled a draw because my shirt somehow got in the way. So if you're gonna try this stuff, see if you can quickly draw your weapon from a number of different positions you might end up in. Or, clinch up with your opponent and play around with snatching your opponent's sheathed or clipped trainer from an overhook or underhook. I'm kinda of the opinion that a rear waistband concealment, although easiest to do with athletic clothes, is not ideal. Most will experiment like that because their pants don't have a belt and their trainer doesn't have a sheath/doesn't fold and have a clip. You practically kimura yourself reaching back like that. It also makes carrying a dozen blades Sayoc-kali style more of a liability than an asset- in almost any position, an opponent can grab one of your weapons.
                  Last edited by Permalost; 3/11/2016 6:23pm, .

Comment

Totally agree with the above. I had one guy last year who was carrying his knife at the appendix, and he literally couldn't draw because either he was bent over me or I had him stacked in his guard which compressed his stomach against the knife and that created too much friction for him to draw. The knife in my front pocket was relatively clear to access.

The other interesting thing I have seen is guys closing with knives and then apparently dropping them to shift into a grappling mode when they got close, which is just stupid. I don't think it is conscious but it is one of the funny things that we do under stress and people revert back to what they trained when they were the most stressed. That has happened to me twice.

Comment

I remember in one of my first gatherings, I side kicked a guy in a knife match and knocked him down, and I immediately threw my knife at my downed opponent. I don't even train knife throwing!

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
                        I remember in one of my first gatherings, I side kicked a guy in a knife match and knocked him down, and I immediately threw my knife at my downed opponent. I don't even train knife throwing!
                        What kind of fighter throws away his weapon? Just kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
                          Another issue is that if you're on your back, you may not be able to get to a weapon tucked in your rear waistband, or vice versa for the front. I've fouled a draw because my shirt somehow got in the way. .
                          There's a reason why the Scottish skean dubh is in the sock - extremely unlikely you'll be in a position where you can't reach it. Even lying on top of it, there won't be enough mass stopping you from drawing.

As for BJJ and the Gatherings, I know plenty of blues and purples in the ranks, and IIRC, Fu Dog is a BJJ black belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili Pepper View Post
                            There's a reason why the Scottish skean dubh is in the sock
                            So when you draw your blade to attack, you can also lift up your kilt to flash your junk at the enemy?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X