Raw Combat International

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raw Combat International

While looking around youtube for another thread I cam across this fellow. I've not seen these videos before or really heard much about the guy. He doesn't look like the worst "Online self defense" fellow I've seen though he's doing the whole online self defense course shite you usually see with all this. What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrG...aDqcxCJ2LvkAMA

https://youtu.be/xtR2-u1FRsQ
    "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

Originally posted by Sovvolf View Post
    While looking around youtube for another thread I cam across this fellow. I've not seen these videos before or really heard much about the guy. He doesn't look like the worst "Online self defense" fellow I've seen though he's doing the whole online self defense course shite you usually see with all this. What do you guys think?
    Looks awful, its full of the same dead patterns you see in most RBSD.
    Drilling =/= to aliveness

BTW if you want to watch some good videos check out the dog brothers die less often series.
    Once again without having a partner to train with they won't do you a lot of good.

Face it if you want to learn self defense you need to
    Do a combat Sport, preferably one that at least touches on clinch and ground fighting.
    I personally like the old Boxing and Judo combination as both are cheap and very effective and cover a lot of ranges.

Comment

I think you've really got the wrong impression on me. I'm not some sit at home at ninja sat keyboard warroring my way to awesomeness. I am doing combat sports, I'm training from Monday - Saturday.. Because they don't have a class on Sundays. I love the gym and take part in every lesson they have available. To be quite honest, my reasons for posting this was to simply draw attention to it. Spark something up, the forums have been really quite lately and I'm trying to do something to kick start some excitement like back in the old days where everyone would really critique this sort of stuff. I've been gone from this site for way too long is seems and those days are far, far, far behind.
      "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

Comment

Originally posted by Sovvolf View Post
        I think you've really got the wrong impression on me. I'm not some sit at home at ninja sat keyboard warroring my way to awesomeness. I am doing combat sports, I'm training from Monday - Saturday.. Because they don't have a class on Sundays. I love the gym and take part in every lesson they have available. To be quite honest, my reasons for posting this was to simply draw attention to it. Spark something up, the forums have been really quite lately and I'm trying to do something to kick start some excitement like back in the old days where everyone would really critique this sort of stuff. I've been gone from this site for way too long is seems and those days are far, far, far behind.
        Yeah sorry about that.

As far as the video goes, I think we have become sort of numb to it.
        Its just Krav Maga Redux, same RBSD stuff we have seen so much of.
        Its hard to get our juices running over something like this unless someone here is trying to actively defend against it, even that is a bit tiresome.

Comment

You can read more on Luke Holloway's shenanigans here:

Luke Holloway/Team Wujin/Raw Combat Investigation Thread

Comment

Watched the best knife defence vid. Early in the vid you see guys training against a wall. Their tech was more or less what i learned in km minus holding the knife hand which is bs, you will never grab it when the stabbing starts. In out in out, too fuckin quick, you'll be lucky to block one entry out of 5 (for example). The deflective knife removal combo is also bs. What they should show (this my take on it and not km) is keep your elbows in to try and cover your ribs and stomach area, keep you chin buried and shoulders shrugged up to protect throat/neck. Push/front kick the guy away to create distance. From there depending on what situation you are in is on you (run, fight with kicks, draw gun if you have one, pick up a chair ect).

Comment

Originally posted by Kravbizarre View Post
              What they should show (this my take on it and not km) is keep your elbows in to try and cover your ribs and stomach area, keep you chin buried and shoulders shrugged up to protect throat/neck. Push/front kick the guy away to create distance. From there depending on what situation you are in is on you (run, fight with kicks, draw gun if you have one, pick up a chair ect).
              or you know running the fuck away.
              Of course most knife attacks the victim never even sees the fucking knife so what ever your game plan is likely shit anyways

Comment

Their tech was more or less what i learned in km minus holding the knife hand which is bs, you will never grab it when the stabbing starts.
                When the stabbing starts, you're more screwed if you're not grabbing at the wrist than if you are.

Comment

Two fair points above. If you allow somone into your personal space regardless if you see a knife your in serious trouble. For this anything can happen.

Grabbing the wrist better when the stabbing starts? Go pressure test it on camera, ill be surprised if 1 you catch the wrist and 2 grip it firmly enough that they cant drive the through with the knife anyway.

After extensive pressure testing, the only thing you can do is try and create distance and minimise damge recieved.

Any attack from behind you wont see but if you have poor situational awareness and allow somone into your personal space your already pushing shit uphill. If they havnt closed distance im a strong advocator for running, if its not possible use your legs, they're stronger and longer than your arms (unless your a gorilla =D)

In another part of the vid you see some pad work with a guy on the ground with a baton striking a pad whilst the holder walks towards him. A likely scenario your on the ground and somone else is not. If a person trips over do they stay on the ground and crawl or do they get up and keep walking? So why would anyone stay on the ground with somone trying to hurt them? A football kick is more dangerous than the baton.

Unless you can generate enough power whilst sitting and break the other persons leg its more danferous the longer you stay in that position.
                  Last edited by Kravbizarre; 3/10/2016 7:31pm, . Reason: Additional points

Comment

Two fair points above. If you allow somone into your personal space regardless if you see a knife your in serious trouble. For this anything can happen.
                    Its cute you think you can control your personal space, there are plenty of situations where you simply can't.
                    A sidewalk is only so wide, someone doesn't have to spend a lot of time in your personal space to launch an attack, it only has to be transitory.
                    I can grantee you people transition through your personal space quite often through out the day especially if you are in any sort of urban area.
                    Not to mention the that whole 21 foot rule thing.
                    Fact is a knife can be deployed from quite some distance and you pounced on far faster than you are giving people credit for.

Grabbing the wrist better when the stabbing starts? Go pressure test it on camera, ill be surprised if 1 you catch the wrist and 2 grip it firmly enough that they cant drive the through with the knife anyway.
                    Two on one wrist control, you are still likely to get cut but its still your best bet vs being stabbed.
                    For one you cannot move backwards faster than your attacker can move forward, and they have the reach advantage.

Truth is in any open hand vs a knife situation you are at a serious disadvantage, you are going to get cut, but you are better off controlling their weapon the best you can.

Situation awareness is fine and all to say, but the reality is we all have blind spots.

Comment

Kravbizzare, some of it (some of it) will be about our fitness level, skill level, and other factors. Other factors can include natural reflex rate, "sports vision," and how people respond to fear or adrenaline. And, what about those factors in your opponent? If at 57, I am slow and tired... It doesn't matter how good I was, or how good my training was, time has turned the page and it is behind me. There are many variables: the context of the event, your opponent, and you. The mix is always changing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4j5TnuJU90 If you're interested to watch it, it's worth watching. He's 57, and not slow nor tired.

Comment

Im not claiming to hold all the answers just looking at the techs showed with skeptisim. During some scenario training i did in the past you would be in a small room with a door infront and one to the side. The drill was simple, somone will rush you with a knife from any entrance. You need to survive. To me front kicking was the best option. In other drills your eyes were closed and you opened them when you heard your attacker being a movie villain by screaming at you. When they attacked was at their discretion so you could literally wait 5 mins eyes closed if they wanted to. In those situations i died pretty much every time (i count death as 2 stabs, as you will never block the first but anymore than 2 and i dont think anyone will live unless theres help nearby). When somone is driving forward the mere fact of keeping balance, trying to stop the stab and fight becomes incredibly hard.

I have little faith in disarms and traps purly because stabs can be any angle and training certains types only increases your success at those angles.

During some free time before or after class id get some friends to drill with me. My aim was to trap or disarm, theirs to kill me. I never survived without at least being cut 5 times minimum.

This sort of stuff had too many variables i know this. So you really have to construct a defence per attack but because of too many variables it can be near impossible to cover them all

Comment

Your honesty is appreciated.

Comment

How much of "extensive pressure testing" did you use to come to these conclusions? I assure you, I've done 2 handed grip vs blocking tests with numerous people. My method comes from the Dog Bros die less often material, which is some of the most pressure tested knife work out there. Step 1: dog catcher to 2 handed grip. The dog catcher is a method to bridge between sewing machine and 2 handed control.

What's the alternative? Block/redirect while striking? That's easily as iffy. One handed control? No. The reality is that 2 handed grip attempt is likely to be something you attempt when someone stabs you repeatedly, whether or not you think its a good idea. I've seen a number of videos where untrained people do it. Its as predictible as clinching when overwhelmed with strikes, even among strikers who eschew grappling. Fortunately, the 2 on 1 game can be refined, leading to disarms, return-to-sender etc.

You can find plenty of RBSD types who will tell you that grappling vs a knife is suicide, but they're just parroting other RBSD teachers that made that shit up.

After extensive pressure testing, the only thing you can do is try and create distance and minimise damge recieved.

Any attack from behind you wont see but if you have poor situational awareness and allow somone into your personal space your already pushing shit uphill. If they havnt closed distance im a strong advocator for running, if its not possible use your legs, they're stronger and longer than your arms (unless your a gorilla =D)

In another part of the vid you see some pad work with a guy on the ground with a baton striking a pad whilst the holder walks towards him. A likely scenario your on the ground and somone else is not. If a person trips over do they stay on the ground and crawl or do they get up and keep walking? So why would anyone stay on the ground with somone trying to hurt them? A football kick is more dangerous than the baton.

Unless you can generate enough power whilst sitting and break the other persons leg its more danferous the longer you stay in that position.
                            Last edited by Permalost; 3/11/2016 12:03am, .

Comment

I'll take a 2 on 1 grip over repeated front kicks any day.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X