Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone please explain what this is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BJMills View Post
    Every now and again this woman's performances pop up in my Facebook feed. While I'm not remotely interested in learning kata myself I think the precision of her movement is impressive... But mostly I watch because she's cute:

http://youtu.be/9SaWJW76fi4
    This is the exact kind of shit i hate the most for tricking people into thinking they can kick ass when they can really not. I take any bet, this woman was talked into actually believing she kicks ass, being a karate world champion and all. If she ever finds herself in a situation where an ass-kicking is needed, she will act like someone who posseses the ability to kick ass. This will inevitably result in her getting her ass kicked, or worse. This worthless crap should be called "pretend-karate dancing" so people at least know what they are signing up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
      A woman can learn to scream and curse without paying a monthly dojo fee.
      Usually, marriage seems to do the trick.

Comment

I was highly impressed she hadn't taken that 2 inch wide belt and rubbed it on a tree. Could care less about flipping fools with weapons, but the XMA youngsters with worn out black belts?

Not impressed with her kata performance but she has nice calves.

Comment

Every now and again this woman's performances pop up in my Facebook feed. While I'm not remotely interested in learning kata myself I think the precision of her movement is impressive... But mostly I watch because she's cute:

http://youtu.be/9SaWJW76fi4
          That's a decent Seiunchin. Not the way I learned to do it, but I'm sure it's a good representation of how she learned it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SmH View Post
            This is the exact kind of shit i hate the most for tricking people into thinking they can kick ass when they can really not. I take any bet, this woman was talked into actually believing she kicks ass, being a karate world champion and all. If she ever finds herself in a situation where an ass-kicking is needed, she will act like someone who possess the ability to kick ass. This will inevitably result in her getting her ass kicked, or worse. This worthless crap should be called "pretend-karate dancing" so people at least know what they are signing up for.
            A lot of the more sedate traditional styles seem to be making a gradual transition to emphasize the intent of specific training. People who focus on the kata often do not participate in fighting championships, even point-based ones, as they are more into polishing the moves to the utmost rather than learning all the aspects of timing, anticipation, handling contact, etc. that go into any kind of fighting. And there is also a growing tendency to emphasize that for real self-defense that has to be trained specifically as well.

The problem is indeed with the people who claim that doing kata alone makes you a fighter, or who believe that the ritualized bunkai applications are actually useful for self-defense or real fighting.

I have always found kata in general very dubious for the fight-minded practitioner, as in a world of widespread literacy and video recording, the usefulness of forms as cataloging and record-keeping of a style's syllabus is outdated and often misleading, being obviously subject to deterioration and loss of intent, but I kinda believed that it was more of a way for people to keep practicing at least the form of the art when they reach a point in their lives where age or injury (or their life conditions at any other point) make sparring or even contact drills difficult to keep up with. However, the funny thing is that personally, I have found that my back, knee and ankle injuries actually make doing most kata a very difficult thing, and can end up with lingering pain and loss of mobility after trying to do all the forced positions and movements, yet I can still keep up with moderate and light sparring with much less trouble and repercussions. So in my case kata is not even a good choice as hanging-on drill.

Comment

Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
              I was highly impressed she hadn't taken that 2 inch wide belt and rubbed it on a tree. Could care less about flipping fools with weapons, but the XMA youngsters with worn out black belts?

Not impressed with her kata performance but she has nice calves.

Did you use your xray vision to see her calves? Her gi pants go down to her ankles

Comment

Originally posted by Lindz View Post
                Did you use your xray vision to see her calves? Her gi pants go down to her ankles
                I think he was referring to the screaming lady in the OP, not Ms. Usami in the more recent link.

Comment

Originally posted by SmH View Post
                  This is the exact kind of shit i hate the most for tricking people into thinking they can kick ass when they can really not. I take any bet, this woman was talked into actually believing she kicks ass, being a karate world champion and all. If she ever finds herself in a situation where an ass-kicking is needed, she will act like someone who posseses the ability to kick ass. This will inevitably result in her getting her ass kicked, or worse. This worthless crap should be called "pretend-karate dancing" so people at least know what they are signing up for.
                  I'm not into learning kata myself and consider them pretty much a waste of time when it comes to learning how to fight, counter productive even.

That being said, I've read interviews with Rika Usami and she practices her art for this kind of performance and doesn't seem to harbor any illusions about being a bad ass.

Living in LA I also have met a few of these tricker kids. Several of them are also dance performers and/or stunt performers. They train pretty hard and don't seem to have any pretentious about fighting.

I genuinely don't think any of them believe their triple twisting backflip kick- or whatever- has any application outside of a movie. And sometimes inside the movies- like the way deadpool was flipping around in that freeway scene, it's highly entertaining.

So whatever. Kids want to be acrobats for my entertainment, not gonna get worked up about it.

Comment

Pointless poomse training killed my interest in Tae Kwon Do, it also killed the interest of many of the other students. It was like it was a way to run the class without putting in much effort. For the short time I studied Ueichi-Ryu, the time spent doing kata seemed to have more of a purpose and also didn't take up the whole of class time.

Comment

I'm not into learning kata myself and consider them pretty much a waste of time when it comes to learning how to fight, counter productive even.

That being said, I've read interviews with Rika Usami and she practices her art for this kind of performance and doesn't seem to harbor any illusions about being a bad ass.

Living in LA I also have met a few of these tricker kids. Several of them are also dance performers and/or stunt performers. They train pretty hard and don't seem to have any pretentious about fighting.

I genuinely don't think any of them believe their triple twisting backflip kick- or whatever- has any application outside of a movie. And sometimes inside the movies- like the way deadpool was flipping around in that freeway scene, it's highly entertaining.

So whatever. Kids want to be acrobats for my entertainment, not gonna get worked up about it.
                      I have mentioned before that one of my friends was a very successful kata competitor. I was one of her first instructors, decades ago, and she went on to compete in several PanAmerican events winning first places. That a competitor from Honduras, Central America, where there is little support for sports not being soccer, went to Canada and won first place in an international event here was a first for us. She also traveled to several other places in the US, SouthAmerica, etc. meeting lots of people and having all kinds of experiences. Her real fighting prowess is rather limited, of course, though she did compete in point matches for several years. She has no grappling, no boxing, and kicks with her foot and not her shin. But her art let her travel the world and experience competition and success in sport and meet lots of different people. Meanwhile I fought bare-knuckle in backyards and garages, grappled over concrete floors, and my only visible result are the accumulated dozen stitches on my face, broken nose, damaged knees, ribs, ankle and back. And in reality I never became much good as a fighter. Most current MMA guys with one year of solid training could possible beat me even at my best.

So who is to say who made the best of the respective martial arts experience?
                      Last edited by ksennin; 3/09/2016 10:38am, .

Comment

Originally posted by Lindz View Post
                        Someone needs an anatomy lesson.
                        Calf

Ankle

Now look at this picture, where do those pants stop at?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X