Taido - More Lulz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taido - More Lulz

Somebody posted this on the Judo Coaches Connection Facebook page.

My comment was and is: Looks like they are getting some exercise for sure. Which is a good thing ! I see agility, balance, coordination, dynamic stretching, speed. All wrapped up in a movie-martial arts l like kind of package. Marketing genius, for sure...

I'd add, and a strong dose of "Japanology" aka weaboo activity.

https://www.facebook.com/iwatobudocu...7046165342686/

As an added bonus, I got this suggestion...
    Sticky Boxing!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/774955952559553/

I watched one of the videos, and all I can say is even I could hit the guy if he kept dropping his right hand like that...

It just doesn't stop...
    https://www.facebook.com/iwatobudocu...7044015342901/
    Last edited by BKR; 2/19/2016 5:53pm, .
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Taido's a performing art/exercise/personal discipline method, but they actually do spar along with all the spiritualized fight choreography. The sparring looks like uptight capoeira with lunge punches, but it happens.
    Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Bartitsu: the Gentlemanly Art of Self Defence (est. 1899)

Comment

Next time I'm competing I'll keep in mind that the perfect defence for the world's weakest Tomoe Nage is to simply front-flip over the guy.

Comment

Cartwheel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXLd_qHsL3Q

Comment

Originally posted by Bar Humbug View Post
          Next time I'm competing I'll keep in mind that the perfect defence for the world's weakest Tomoe Nage is to simply front-flip over the guy.
          Cartwheel and round offs are SOP for dodging Tomoe Nage attempts, weak or otherwise.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Isn't this the worlds first 3d art?

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
              Cartwheel and round offs are SOP for dodging Tomoe Nage attempts, weak or otherwise.
              I have pulled off Cartwheel into North/South during Judo Randori before.

Comment

Originally posted by plasma View Post
                I have pulled off Cartwheel into North/South during Judo Randori before.
                I have my students drill it at least once a week. It's a good progression from zempo kaiten solo, to over another person lengthwise, to uke on bottom with foot/leg up, etc. Then they get taught basics of tomoe nage and can drill it in pairs, plus rolling through to a pin from the Tomoe Nage.

Loads of fun !

Comment

Taido World Championships!

Originally posted by DdlR View Post
                  Taido's a performing art/exercise/personal discipline method, but they actually do spar along with all the spiritualized fight choreography. The sparring looks like uptight capoeira with lunge punches, but it happens.
                  Yes, I see...

Taido technique classification/breakdown complete with animation.
                  http://www.taidoblog.com/series/taido-techniques/

As I read through the "blog", they talk about progressions extensively, which is good. As I noted earlier, it looks like a majority health and fitness focused "art".

Taido Black Belt test: Grappling part...

Comment

I actually know a few Taido people. It came from a legitimate, old Okinawan art called KishimotoDi, but the techniques were expanded and all kinds of athleticism were added. As I understand it, it's purpose is really to be a martial arts based athletic/gymnastic pursuit. It's fun, and challenging, and actually makes transitioning to the original material relatively easy, I've been told. It's really not meant to be a practical fighting art, in and of itself, though.

Comment

I'd sign up for Taido in a minute if it were anywhere near me. It looks fun.

Honestly the sparring looks exactly like kids used to fight in my neighborhood. We watched way too many Van Damme and Shaw Brothers movies, then before you knew it we were out in the backyard cartwheeling the shit out of each other until somebody got punched in the nuts.
                      It seems to me that the Sanjuriu Martial Art is not in guestion, but, rather the character of Mr. Galt.
                      -AkidoMom

Comment

Originally posted by MrGalt View Post
                        I'd sign up for Taido in a minute if it were anywhere near me. It looks fun.

Honestly the sparring looks exactly like kids used to fight in my neighborhood. We watched way too many Van Damme and Shaw Brothers movies, then before you knew it we were out in the backyard cartwheeling the shit out of each other until somebody got punched in the nuts.
                        You are thinking Taido Bunnies, go on, admit it...

Comment

The thing with Taido is that no one even claims it prepares you to for self-defence or fighting... At least this is the case in europe

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Losco View Post
                            The thing with Taido is that no one even claims it prepares you to for self-defence or fighting... At least this is the case in europe
                            Same with capoeira and wushu in my experience at least. Everybody was having fun playing and there was no worry about who could kick whose ass. Who could spin faster, kick higher, etc, sure. Actually fight? No, no one cares. And I did wushu with some fairly hood guys in Memphis too.
                            It seems to me that the Sanjuriu Martial Art is not in guestion, but, rather the character of Mr. Galt.
                            -AkidoMom

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                              You are thinking Taido Bunnies, go on, admit it...
                              I'm too old for any kind of bunny, I'm afraid. Are those a thing?
                              -AkidoMom

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X