No announcement yet.

Money and grading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And again, those are entirely different skillsets/disciplines, so no.
    Disagree. Skill is a common basis for instruction. Not the only basis certainly, but a common one. How often do you see someone introduced by what they've done?

Comment

Originally posted by The Villain View Post
      Look at a classroom. Your tuition can be paid, but your grade is based on performance. Belt level and such are ostensibly performance based, where instructor status isn't.
      I don't buy into the classroom thing either.
      Academia is significantly different from Martial Arts.
      Ideally in Academia is for the most part an individual thing, how well you get the martial has little impact on the rest of the class.
      Everyone in class is at roughly the same level of expertise in the subject, yes their are exceptions.
      The teacher is teaching to that specific expertise level.
      In fact the whole damn class is based around it.
      Everyone takes the same test, does the same homework, gets the same lectures, and is expected to come into the class with the same knowledge from the previous course work.
      There is a very specific syllabus with start and end dates.
      The differences are pretty damn great.
      I actually go to a college right now where there are circumstances that can lead to you having to pay for your own grading.
      Typically those circumstance is you have already failed said test 2 times so you are paying for the independent proctoring out of your own wallet.
      Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
      –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

*rolls eyes*

You brought up credentials in a conversation about grading. Whether or not you mentioned teaching credentials vs some other sort of credentials is beside the point.

Not when you respond directly to something I said.
        It's clear you have trouble following a train of thought.

Skill is a common basis for instruction.

Comment

I'm done Cheng. You're missing the point of pretty much everything I have to say, you're giving me the same feedback, so I don't see a point in continuing what is clearly two different discussions.

Comment

Goodlun, while some instruction in martial arts is sloppy and disjointed, IMO a good program is similar enough to warrant the comparison. You have a structured curriculum with different levels of mastery of said curriculum. In martial arts, IMO, a student should be evaluated based on his mastery of said curriculum and not outside factors. Why should the public be told that a pupil of the arts is at one level of understanding when he's at another? If he's at a black belt level, he should be able to display that. If he's at a white belt level, he needs to display that. The rest is all BS. I don't buy a red tape standard, especially if someone's getting rich off of it.

Comment

I'm done Cheng. You're missing the point of pretty much everything I have to say, you're giving me the same feedback, so I don't see a point in continuing what is clearly two different discussions.

Right,
              1) most credentials cost money and often on a continuing basis
              2) just because you can do something doesn't mean you can or should be allowed to teach it
              3) teaching credentials are generally separate from practice credentials
              4) there are many fine teachers who suck at what they teach

Carry on with your fallacies.

Comment

1. No, as credentials, especially the best credentials, can be derived from real world experience. Look at TMA. They're credentialed out the ass. Where does it get them?
                2. Agreed.
                3. This is sometimes, but not always the case. You can teach from the basis of experience.
                4. The best can teach AND do.

Comment

You're just talking out of your ass now.

Comment

Anyways, arguments over analogies and definitions aside, no, no money should change hands for martial arts gradings outside of expenses. .
                    I agree with this generally speaking.
                    Your off base from me on a lot of your logic but this we agree on.
                    The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Comment

I've been both a teacher and a student. I'm speaking from experience and I simply disagree with that premise.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X