Money and grading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Money and grading

Here in melb out of all the MA places ive been to and seen they all charge for grading and seminars. Ive never asked but is it normal. Seminars i understand if theres a cost due to a guest attending is reasonable. But should gradings cost? Are there places in melb that do not charge?

Im doing bjj and got my first stripe last month. The grading went for no longer than 5 mins as my instructor said he wanted me to grade (didnt wait for the others to get to the same level and have 1 big grading). It was 30 bucks which is pretty cheap some places charge anywhere between 75-100.

So what part of the world are you from and do you pay to get graded?

Im interested in knowing if its an australian phenominon to charge for everything. (Some places charge a registration fee, have class fees and then charge for one of their gis and belt. Ive heard of this from tkd and karate dojos).

They charge for stripes on a white belt ?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

I believe in paying for seminars. All the ones I've been to have cost money, and I think its fine for a master of a craft to charge people for their time and effort. Some charge what I'd call an excessive amount of money- ones with hundreds of attendees each paying several hundred dollars a piece. In my experience, such seminars prey on the martially-naive and generally have corporate martial arts teachers getting their students to attend with hard sell sales pitches, and are generally of poorer quality than the medium-priced ones. On the other hand, cash rules everything around me, get the money, dollar dollar bill y'all. If you can get people to pay more to go to your seminar, more power to you. I feel that trying to cram too many people into a seminar is more egregious than charging money to go, since that actually fucks up the teaching and training part.

Grading practices differ from art to art and even school to school. I think BJJ has the most reasonable grading practice. I've never trained at a place where you paid to advance in the art, except for a small fee for my black sash test cause some head honcho had to make a trip. I believe it shouldn't happen often anyway and it shouldn't cost much, if anything. A black belt shouldn't mean "I paid a bunch of money for this". Maybe enough to cover the cost of the belt or whatever.

Comment

Money for grading is just wrong. Can you imagine if schools worked that way? "Sorry, your kids not doing well in class. There's not enough money here to earn him more than a D. He's been studying hard and earned an A, but he's not going to pass until the check clears." Fuck that crooked ass shit.

Comment

Originally posted by The Villain View Post
          Money for grading is just wrong. Can you imagine if schools worked that way? "Sorry, your kids not doing well in class. There's not enough money here to earn him more than a D. He's been studying hard and earned an A, but he's not going to pass until the check clears." Fuck that crooked ass shit.
          Funny you should say that cos i was thinking the same thing. School fees, ect can total up quick here in oz so if school had the same structure only the wealthy would be educated.

On a side note i even though i had to pay to essentially be allowed to learn more stuff i did know what i had to for the stripe. Im a bit bummed though that i had to give somone cash to prove i knew x,y and z techs so they could say "here take this whit strip and sow it on your belt and now you can start learning some more stuff".

Comment

Originally posted by Kravbizarre View Post
            Im interested in knowing if its an australian phenominon to charge for everything. (Some places charge a registration fee, have class fees and then charge for one of their gis and belt. Ive heard of this from tkd and karate dojos).
            Nah mate, been through at least 8 gradings at my gym up here on the Sunny Coast (including my blue belt promotion) and never paid a cent. Not even for the belt, that was included. Pretty sure the lads from Brisvegas that post here (or used to) don't pay for grading either.

So I don't think it's an Australian thing, I think it's a Melbourne thing. Damn hipsters.
            Last edited by cualltaigh; 2/18/2016 8:37pm, .
            2018 Male Purple Belt Adult No Gi
            #2 Ranked Competitor - QBJJC

Comment

I have seen reasonable grading fees for belts, typically done outside of class time(IE just like getting a private lesson), I have never fucking ever heard of a grading fee for a stripe.
              Hell I have never even fucking heard of "grading" or "testing" for a stripe.
              Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
              –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

Originally posted by The Villain View Post
                harvard, you pay your tuition and you get the grades you earn.
                Last edited by Raycetpfl; 2/18/2016 11:08pm, .
                The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Comment

Speaking as a guy who helps run a non-profit federation, money for grading is what keeps us running. It's extremely difficult to enforce payment of annual dues. But if you want that dan, you have to pony up the bucks.

Comment

Funny you should say that cos i was thinking the same thing. School fees, ect can total up quick here in oz so if school had the same structure only the wealthy would be educated.

On a side note i even though i had to pay to essentially be allowed to learn more stuff i did know what i had to for the stripe. Im a bit bummed though that i had to give somone cash to prove i knew x,y and z techs so they could say "here take this whit strip and sow it on your belt and now you can start learning some more stuff".
                    The other question here is what would have happened if you said no I am cool I don't need to be graded.
                    After all the belt only holds the jacket shut.
                    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.

Comment

My old JJJ school used to charge a fiver for grading. Some of that was for the belt, some for hall hire and the rest was split between the instructors for giving up their Saturday. That was the same price, regardless of grade or turnout. If it was only a couple of folks ready for the next step, they'd pull them to one side during class time and do it for nothing. Not to unreasonable I thought.
                      Train hard, fight easy.

Comment

It's a sliding scale for us. It costs anywhere from $CDN35 (ikkyu) to $75 (7 dan) to take the exam, and then anywhere from $35 to $700 if you pass as the certificate/registration fee.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                          The other question here is what would have happened if you said no I am cool I don't need to be graded.
                          After all the belt only holds the jacket shut.
                          Then id be stuck learning side control drill to mount/dismount, mount drill when you buck people off or retain mount and finally passing guard drill where guy in guard passes, and guy on his back hip escapes before he ends up in side control. (Few other things learnt were little things like under hooks ect)

Thats all id learn which bored the fuck out of me until everyone started rolling.

Comment

Then id be stuck learning side control drill to mount/dismount, mount drill when you buck people off or retain mount and finally passing guard drill where guy in guard passes, and guy on his back hip escapes before he ends up in side control. (Few other things learnt were little things like under hooks ect)

Thats all id learn which bored the fuck out of me until everyone started rolling.
                            Hold up wait a minute what you learn is based on your rank?
                            This isn't a common practice in BJJ as far as I have seen

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                              Hold up wait a minute what you learn is based on your rank?
                              This isn't a common practice in BJJ as far as I have seen
                              Nothing this dude says makes sense when you scratch the surface.
                              “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
                              BILL HICKS,
                              1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
                              ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X