Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People need to get a dog.
    Owning a dog and drinking beer
    minimizes the silliness caused by relying on humans for affirmation.
    Your parents will let you down,
    Your siblings will let you down,
    Your children will let you down,
    Your teachers will let you down,
    Your students will let you down,
    Your rivals will laugh to see you stumble,
    And the government will tax you and mispend the money.
    So buy a dog, drink a beer, and nobody should give a crap if someone else got a stripe and we didn't.
    By the way we are not special,
    Bad things will happen to us,
    And thinking positively can help us psychologically get through a rough patch,
    But if we want to harvest we have to plant,
    Not throw good thoughts into the universe.
    That is all...

Comment

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
      So buy a dog, drink a beer, and nobody should give a crap if someone else got a stripe and we didn't.
      That is all...
      This is really solid advice.

Actually my fiance claims to love me more than my dog does. So I've performed an experiment. I locked both of them in my walk-in closet for the last 5.5 hours while I went to jiu jitsu. I will be letting them out when I get home in a few minutes. Who ever gives me more kisses when I let them out will be deemed the winner and be given a biscuit.

Comment

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
        That is all...
        Absofuckinglutely...

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
          This is really solid advice.

Actually my fiance claims to love me more than my dog does. So I've performed an experiment. I locked both of them in my walk-in closet for the last 5.5 hours while I went to jiu jitsu. I will be letting them out when I get home in a few minutes. Who ever gives me more kisses when I let them out will be deemed the winner and be given a biscuit.
          My cat loves me a lot, but not as much as my wife. Although sometimes my wife has her doubts...

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
            My cat loves me a lot, but not as much as my wife. Although sometimes my wife has her doubts...
            There's a good chance your cat is actively plotting a coup to over throw the current regime at your house. Cats are not to be trusted..... beware.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
              There's a good chance your cat is actively plotting a coup to over throw the current regime at your house. Cats are not to be trusted..... beware.
              My cat knows on which side the toast is buttered...

Comment

Just keep the butter coming, and nobody gets hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
                  Just keep the butter coming, and nobody gets hurt.
                  Right...

That and ice cream.

If cats had money, I could make a fortune on canned salmon flavored ice cream...

Here you go Rayce, I suggest you get a T-Shirt made up for yourself...

Last edited by BKR; 3/22/2016 9:51am, . Reason: Finally found it...

Comment

OP: what belt are you? The less experienced you are, the less the stripes on your belt matter. A white belt may see the stripe removal as some huge thing, while to a brown belt, they're just little symbolic gestures that don't mean much.

Comment

v

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
                      OP: what belt are you? The less experienced you are, the less the stripes on your belt matter. A white belt may see the stripe removal as some huge thing, while to a brown belt, they're just little symbolic gestures that don't mean much.
                      I'd agree with that.

I've done BJJ at a BJJ/Karate dojo for 2yrs. The promotion system the school used for white belts was useless for measuring actual skill. I was a 4th stripe white belt but my rolling was no better than it was 12 months before. So I joined up with a different school that doesn't put an emphasis on stripes; I tore the sleeve off my belt and joined in my new training group as a newbie(more so than before).

Best training decision I have made.

Comment

Originally posted by emactive View Post
                        Hi guys. First post here. I love the guys I train with at the association I go to, but I question my instructor's maturity as a future black belt and role model. There are many reasons for me to feel this way, but the main reason is that he removed all of his stripes that he received from Marcelo. I noticed one day all of his stripes were missing from his brown, but I never asked why. Then I found out it's because he was making a statement that his stripes didn't matter and MG was promoting guys that haven't been training as long as he was.

This disrespectful action as a martial artist made me question leaving my team behind. Since then he has put all of his stripes back on because he was scolded at the academy. I could never rip any stripes off my belt. These are my milestones and mean a lot to me. I would cherish each stripe I receive especially coming from MG himself.

I want to leave, but I love my teammates and training partners. What should I do?
                        Ask yourself a couple of questions:

Are you getting the kind of training you want in the type of environment you like?
                        Do you have other significantly better training options readily available to you?

If the answers are yes and no, then stay. If not, then move on, but not because of silly belt stripe drama.

Stripes are tools for feedback between an instructor and a student and have no relevance to anyone outside those two.

BTW - it's a mistake to assume that your BJJ instructor should be a role model for you, except perhaps on a technical level. Being a good martial arts instructor doesn't make you any more likely to be particularly mature individual or admirable role model than anyone else.

Comment

I one left my BJJ instructor freeze to death on the blatic sea cause he claimed that WWE is not real

Comment

I listened to a lady bitch at her waitress at the Waffle House because they "buttered the wrong side of her toast"

Fucking nuts.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X