Should I leave my BJJ instructor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I leave my BJJ instructor?

Hi guys. First post here. I love the guys I train with at the association I go to, but I question my instructor's maturity as a future black belt and role model. There are many reasons for me to feel this way, but the main reason is that he removed all of his stripes that he received from Marcelo. I noticed one day all of his stripes were missing from his brown, but I never asked why. Then I found out it's because he was making a statement that his stripes didn't matter and MG was promoting guys that haven't been training as long as he was.

This disrespectful action as a martial artist made me question leaving my team behind. Since then he has put all of his stripes back on because he was scolded at the academy. I could never rip any stripes off my belt. These are my milestones and mean a lot to me. I would cherish each stripe I receive especially coming from MG himself.

I want to leave, but I love my teammates and training partners. What should I do?

It depends on the other reasons that you have, but overall if you don't respect your instructor as a person, it is probably time for you to go to a different school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Belts again, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by emactive View Post
        Hi guys. First post here. I love the guys I train with at the association I go to, but I question my instructor's maturity as a future black belt and role model. There are many reasons for me to feel this way, but the main reason is that he removed all of his stripes that he received from Marcelo. I noticed one day all of his stripes were missing from his brown, but I never asked why. Then I found out it's because he was making a statement that his stripes didn't matter and MG was promoting guys that haven't been training as long as he was.

This disrespectful action as a martial artist made me question leaving my team behind. Since then he has put all of his stripes back on because he was scolded at the academy. I could never rip any stripes off my belt. These are my milestones and mean a lot to me. I would cherish each stripe I receive especially coming from MG himself.

I want to leave, but I love my teammates and training partners. What should I do?
        Sounds like you are putting marcelo on too much of a pedestal.
        It's his belt, not marcelo's. If he wants to take stripes off his belt it sounds like that's his business. If he wants to be a Rickson black belt he has to start from scratch again.Rickson doesn't accept belt transfers. I am sure people would belt up quickly but that's his policy.

All that being said Marcelo had a group of brown belts that were world destroyers. they could have been put to black a year or two earlier and no one would have argued are thought it was too soon.
        Judging someones time doing jiu jitsu or anything really is a funny thing. If someone comes in once a week for 10 years they have been doing jiu jitsu for 10 years, but that's only abouy 520 hours they have trained. If someone does 2 a days and private lessons they could pass them in hours training in about a year. Some people's "years doing jiu jitsu " could be spent in a hospital bed, or doing light training an hour a week. Belts are supposed to be about ability not time. People are allowed to have different opinions. If he doesn't like Marcelos grading process it seems reasonable to not take part in it. If you are offended by his opinion maybe you should go somewhere else. At the same time adults should be able to have different opinions and coexist.

Comment

We need third party objective rankings. You show up in from of witnesses and a panel, you pay a testing fee, you're graded, the professors explains your grade (did you fail the arm bars? pass the spider? what happened?), you either or fail, and you move up. I feel the current system is based too much on money and politics.

Comment

BJJ is for pussies.

Do Streetfighting instead.

Comment

Originally posted by The Villain View Post
              We need third party objective rankings. You show up in from of witnesses and a panel, you pay a testing fee, you're graded, the professors explains your grade (did you fail the arm bars? pass the spider? what happened?), you either or fail, and you move up. I feel the current system is based too much on money and politics.
              There was talk in the mid to late nineties that the Confederation was going to institute a promotion committee process for black belt promotion, where 2 or 3 black belts had to agree for a black belt promotion to occur,
              But it never appeared to get fully adopted,
              and seems to have ultimately been replaced with the current IBJJF vet process.

Comment

If humans are making decisions than being objective is just a myth and a fallacy.

Comment

So wait... Your instructor trains with Marcelo Garcia. Is his place in your area?

If I were you, then yes, id leave my instructor... So I could train with Marcelo 😁

Comment

What in the fuck?
                    Why are you asking a bunch of fucking strangers if you should changes instructors.
                    That relationship is not something any of us are privy to.
                    I think your excuse is a bit on the weak side but hey, in the end its your time, money, sweat and blood.
                    So who the fuck am I to tell you what the fuck to do.
                    Given that you asked
                    Fuck worrying about the BJJ Belt Drama and Politics that is behind all of this.
                    What you need to worry about is the quality of your instruction.
                    Are you getting what you agreed to?
                    Are there better options around?
                    Do belts and stripes really matter all that much when everything is said and done?
                    Are you as big of a pussy as you are coming off as?

Comment

#whitebeltproblems

Don't worry about it. Brown Belts are people too, and sometimes have weak moments. Relax and focus on your own training.

Comment

The issue with that is every organization and instructor has a different opinion on what is a Black Belt. The Gracie Lineages such as Gracie Academy and Royce Gracie Schools let to focus on Self-Defense while schools like Alliance and Atos focus on competition success.

Comment

You can break a test down into portions though. I was required to learn both the self defense curriculum AND the sports stuff. It's a ten year study of the art.

Comment

How about just maintaining a strong relationship with one's teacher and then they promote you when they feel like you are ready by wrapping the belt around your waist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by plasma View Post
                              #whitebeltproblems

Don't worry about it. Brown Belts are people too, and sometimes have weak moments. Relax and focus on your own training.
                              I agree with Plasma and I think the question is, was it ok for your instructor to take off his stripes in some protest. I think that's between him and Marcelo Garcia. Does the guy teach quality BJJ and take an interest in your progression? Does he present material in a logical way that you can follow? Is he generally respected and respectful? If so, don't worry about his stripes, rank, or issues with his instructor.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X