Kung fu "Master"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kung fu "Master"?

Anyone happen to catch the (fucking awful) syfy show "town of the living dead"? It was a reality show following a group of people making a low budget zombie film in a small town, etc...anyway, there is a local kung fu "master" called in to help with fight scenes, and I was curious as to the opinions of real martial artists. He calls himself "Master Ferrell", claims to be a grandmaster of shaolin kung fu, and has apparently "trained since I (he) was two"....

Movie/Stunt Fighting and Actual Fighting are two different skill sets.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_B_Stone View Post
      grandmaster of shaolin kung fu
      This tends to be enough for me to say "what eves"

Comment

Anyone happen to catch the (fucking awful) syfy show "town of the living dead"? It was a reality show following a group of people making a low budget zombie film in a small town, etc...anyway, there is a local kung fu "master" called in to help with fight scenes, and I was curious as to the opinions of real martial artists. He calls himself "Master Ferrell", claims to be a grandmaster of shaolin kung fu, and has apparently "trained since I (he) was two"....
        Do you have his full name? And the name of the small town?

Comment

Yep, sorry about that. His name is Artie Ferrell, the town is Jasper, AL. I mentioned the show bc of his demonstrations of "shaolin kung fu"...I've done Google searches and can't find any info on him, where he got the "grandmaster" status, or really anything at all.

Comment

His facebook page says that he does Karate and Kung Fu and refers to himself as Master as opposed to Grandmaster.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maste...02897159884463

He breaks boards and waves swords so must be legit IMO.

and OMG

Click image for larger version

Name:	jesper.jpg
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	4329897

This guy is badass
            Last edited by PDA; 1/26/2016 9:52am, .

Comment

Yep, sorry about that. His name is Artie Ferrell, the town is Jasper, AL. I mentioned the show bc of his demonstrations of "shaolin kung fu"...I've done Google searches and can't find any info on him, where he got the "grandmaster" status, or really anything at all.
              So lets say 50-60 years ago, there was a Shaolin Kung Fu master palling around AL and Artie's parents are like hey you know what would be great?
              If you started teaching our son this kung fu stuff.
              Now lets not mention that Kung Fu didn't even come on to tv till 1972 (44 years ago).
              Although in fairness maybe they enjoyed the Green Hornet 1966.
              No but seriously this shit is always hilarious to me.

Comment

It seems like he uses the terms "kung fu" and "karate" interchangably...the sign and fbook both day master, but he has taken to calling himself grandmaster lately. Full disclosure: I went there for 2 classes when I was too young to know better, never signed a contract and never went back.
                I heard a bunch of good stories from him about training at the shaolin temple, meeting bruce lee, chi power, etc...all the usual stuff. Anyway, just thought he belonged here on bullshido. Thanks for replying, everybody.

Comment

Ok, one more post and I'm done. I checked his personal fbook page for any info about his GM status. The only thing it says is that he has been a "grandmaster" since 1956...when he was 6 years old. Sounds reasonable enough to me...

Comment

How does a two year old exactly train>

Comment

Originally posted by Turles View Post
                      How does a two year old exactly train>
                      By developing gross motor skills

http://www.daycaremall.com/softplay_crawlies.html

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                        By developing gross motor skills

http://www.daycaremall.com/softplay_crawlies.html
                        My two year old slapped me in the face and kicked me in the nuts (I was sitting on the floor) when I turned the tv off the other day.

I had mixed emotions but one of them was " and so begins your training young padawan"

Comment

Originally posted by PDA View Post
                          I had mixed emotions but one of them was " and so begins your training young padawan"
                          In Krav though.

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
                            In Krav though.
                            No
                            The groin strike was Combat Sambo and the slap was Stockton so counts as MMA.

Comment

Originally posted by PDA View Post
                              No
                              The groin strike was Combat Sambo and the slap was Stockton so counts as MMA.
                              Solid base for a two year old.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X